Porsche 718 Forum banner
141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Going to try and pick up a new intercooler from Ninemeister once its ready, per suggestion of another forum member here from a while ago(I forget his name). I also made a little flap to install on the bottom of the car to vent in some air to the turbo.
Rectangle Gadget Electric blue Font Computer component

Going to throw a piece of mesh over it when I install to prevent debris, and mount right near the turbo. Probably wont do anything... But giving it a go!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just did a full day at Mid Ohio. 4x20 minutes and 1x40 minute sessions. No issues whatsoever.
2017 Cayman S, GIAC Tune, Turbo back exhaust, 6MT. Heat wrapped around the wastegate for cooling.
90+f degrees in the afternoon. 97f at one point.

• Wow
Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
That's great news! I'd still have and be happy as a clam with (and still have) our 2017 BS if limp mode didn't rear it's ugly head. Glad you won the lottery!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Just did a full day at Mid Ohio. 4x20 minutes and 1x40 minute sessions. No issues whatsoever.
2017 Cayman S, GIAC Tune, Turbo back exhaust, 6MT. Heat wrapped around the wastegate for cooling.
90+f degrees in the afternoon. 97f at one point.
Are you new to tracking? Only reason I ask is my first time, maybe time and a half, I didn't even really realize it... I was so focused on my lines, the adrenaline, and well... Not being that good, that I hadn't even noticed power was being cut.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are you new to tracking? Only reason I ask is my first time, maybe time and a half, I didn't even really realize it... I was so focused on my lines, the adrenaline, and well... Not being that good, that I hadn't even noticed power was being cut.
Took some time off but not new to tracking. I was in the advanced group... though I was not anywhere the top of the timesheets given my first 'dry' track day after 12 years. They bumped me up to advanced after a check-out ride so it does feel like I was able to push the car.

I left PSM on but agree with most that it was intrusive. However that was my safety net (in addition to track insurance!).

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's great news! I'd still have and be happy as a clam with (and still have) our 2017 BS if limp mode didn't rear it's ugly head. Glad you won the lottery!
I bet! I will say that I have a theory that this is only impacting PDKs. I have not heard of anyone with a 6MT mention limp mode. We'll see I guess but I have seen a few 6MTs work just fine on the track.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I bet! I will say that I have a theory that this is only impacting PDKs. I have not heard of anyone with a 6MT mention limp mode. We'll see I guess but I have seen a few 6MTs work just fine on the track.
Your theory is one I had not considered, nor heard anyone mention, and clearly deserves a thorough analysis. You may have found the smoking gun.

To test your theory, I pose the following question to all 6MT 2017-18 "S" owners who have spent time on track. Have you ever experienced Limp Mode, and if so, what were the conditions (including, but not limited to, the following):
  • Session duration
  • Number of sessions
  • Which session(s) did limp mode occur
  • Duration on track before limp mode occurred in each session
  • Track length
  • Do you consider the track a higher or lower speed circuit (e.g. IMHO COTA is high speed and Harris Hill Raceway lower speed)
  • Ambient temperature
  • Any other elements you sense may have been a factor
Thanks in advance for your participation!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Good theory! I have a PDK cooler on the list from my shop... Just finding the time... and money. Haha

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is there no warning on the dash?

What does it feel like?
Some have reported warnings (nineball) and error codes (bgrif). I actually thought I hit limp mode but I had just mis-shifted to 6th instead of down to 4th. I would imagine it feels a bit like that. 🤷‍♂️

BTW - When that happened, my heart stopped, I thought about how I'd sell the car, what I might get for it, and how it's likely pick up a 981S. Then a few second later I looked at the dash, and saw "6". 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Just signed up for COTA in July, if the weather pattern continues in Texas we can test CS at 1000F and see if we can get even a 2021 to limp mode :unsure:
I'll look forward to meeting you there...now registered for all three days. 1,837 miles remaining to complete run-in.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Were you there, I tried to find you. I was in garage 29. running COTA at over 100F was an experience.
All three days #132 running in Intermediate. I am very sorry I missed you and definitely won't make that mistake again.

Had the immense pleasure of getting to know @Brett_G718T and view his stunning 718T, both on and off the track. Brett quite skillfully hammered his T around the track like a total beast.

EDIT: I recall seeing your car out when I was running...wished I had realized it was you. The temps were ridiculously high (101+)...I hope your S never had any limp mode issues.

Reactions: Brett_G718T

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
How did the car do tat those temps? Any sign of power loss?
Can't speak for @DMCR, but our new BGTS never hiccuped powerwise and was a total blast all three days on track....although, the 2+ hour drives home each day were far less thrilling and a PITA. The car was completely comfortable in every way; however, the traffic from Buda to south of San Marcos was just plain horrific).

·
Registered
68 Posts
All went very well. I am in the Advanced group and we were moving pretty quickly around the track. Interestingly my oil temps never went far above 260 and mostly even below 260. The third radiator makes a difference. Only observation was that my top speed on the back topped out at just over 140 mph, that is 5 - 8 less than in March at 50 F but again, it was 100isch F.
Font Screenshot Technology Software Multimedia

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
All went very well. I am in the Advanced group and we were moving pretty quickly around the track. Interestingly my oil temps never went far above 260 and mostly even below 260. The third radiator makes a difference. Only observation was that my top speed on the back topped out at just over 140 mph, that is 5 - 8 less than in March at 50 F but again, it was 100isch F.
View attachment 45135
Glad to learn all went without a hitch. Oddly, I never saw the oil temp in our BGTS climb above 235°, which makes me wonder whether Porsche set 235° as a false ceiling for the 4.0L.

Edit: Those are some fine lap times by the way!

141 - 160 of 174 Posts