Porsche 718 Forum banner
161 - 174 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman T
131 Posts
The heat was something else! I roasted my stock brakes, had to sit out the last 1.5 sessions… I see an expensive set of brakes in my near future.

Speaking of temps, my T has the third oil cooler. I never saw over 238 on any session - Pleasantly surprised. Apparently the APR people did some additional thermal management with the tune (I have zero idea what they did). My buddy was seeing 280 in his 992 GTS that is tuned to all ****!

Was a blast of a weekend regardless - I think i’m targeting the Chin event in September on account of the next PCA event over my wedding anniversary weekend.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Glad to learn all went without a hitch. Oddly, I never saw the oil temp in our BGTS climb above 235°, which makes me wonder whether Porsche set 235° as a false ceiling for the 4.0L.

Edit: Those are some fine lap times by the way!
Are you sure you weren't looking at coolant temps? I've definitely seen 260-270ºF+ oil temp in my Spyder

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Are you sure you weren't looking at coolant temps? I've definitely seen 260-270ºF+ oil temp in my Spyder
I'm certain that was oil temp, because I looked at both after each session.

Reactions: phroenips

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
The heat was something else! I roasted my stock brakes, had to sit out the last 1.5 sessions… I see an expensive set of brakes in my near future.

Speaking of temps, my T has the third oil cooler. I never saw over 238 on any session - Pleasantly surprised. Apparently the APR people did some additional thermal management with the tune (I have zero idea what they did). My buddy was seeing 280 in his 992 GTS that is tuned to all ****!

Was a blast of a weekend regardless - I think i’m targeting the Chin event in September on account of the next PCA event over my wedding anniversary weekend.
I'm thankful your T warned about your brake pads and kept you safe from harm.

BTW, I'm considering the September Chin event as well and will advise if I register.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman T
131 Posts
I'm thankful your T warned about your brake pads and kept you safe from harm.

BTW, I'm considering the September Chin event as well and will advise if I register.
I'm on their waitlist since I still need an instructor... apparently i'm first in line. Just need to bite the bullet and do the gyrodiscs and new tires before then... $$$$

·
Registered
651 Posts
270F is extra spicy. If I ever saw that on the dash I'd immediately pull out of the throttle and take a cooldown lap.
My local race shop wasn't too concerned when I reported it to them; they also said the track here (High Plains Raceway) is a torture test for cooling systems. High altitude, combined with track layout providing few opportunities to get significant air across the radiators. It was about then that my tires were getting greasy, so I had to back off a bit for that reason anyway.

I also found this, where Porsche Motorsports thinks up to 290F is fine: Tech Q&A - Engine Oil Temperature During Hpde | Porsche Club of America

With that said, I use a quality oil (Motul 8100), and also cut the change intervals in half. Which reminds me, I need to change the oil soon :p

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I'm on their waitlist since I still need an instructor... apparently i'm first in line. Just need to bite the bullet and do the gyrodiscs and new tires before then... $$$$
Bummer...I'm also wait listed. Apparently, I lack sufficient solo track time to qualify without an instructor.

161 - 174 of 174 Posts