Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, picking up a new Caymen 718 GTS 4.0 tomorrow. Was a stock car, so couldn't spec myself. Only thing I'd change is fitting the carbon interior that the GTS interior has. (I have the extended leather and alcantara interior, so has the standard aluminium dash, centre console and door inserts) - Does anyone know anyone who can change all these to carbon?

I know Porsche Techequipment offers the dash and centre console, but not the doors... and its super expensive to retro-fit.

any other options?

thx

·
Registered
571 Posts
The doors are the issue as the alum. trim is not removable.
I do recall that someone makes an overlay piece though.
I believe that there are a couple of threads posted on this topic.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
InTgr8:

I bought my CGTS also off a lot. They're difficult to find! I also don't like the standard finish on the dash. Also...my silver strip was a bit flawed over the glove box... Under the plastic, the silver wasn't quite uniform, maybe a touch cloudy?......Maybe this is from heat?

I got the Tequipment CF. Bought the bits from Suncoast. You need the dash trim kit and the console kit...and I also got the CF shifter, which is not strictly needed, but it's nice and in my hand a lot.

It was shockingly easy to install the dash pieces.

I had a tech install the Sport Shifter kit in the console so had the CF shifter and console surround put in at the same time.

The console surround comes with a new gasket. For some reason the new gasket is different from the original, so make sure to use the new gasket with the CF surround. It will fit better. Save the other gasket with the silver surround so it can be reinstalled.

I can't recommend the sport shifter enough for a manual Cayman or Boxster...should be the stock setup. It is stock on GT4.

While I do love it, the Dark Aluminum looks as good and costs about half. I think I'd get that if I was starting over.

Also, if you have full leather, there's a chrome strip on the door that stays chrome when you retrofit. It's not stupid looking but I know it's there and not really correct. New full leather door cards with CF would be prohibitively expensive, I'm sure...so I make do.

Another sensible way is to take your silver stuff off and send it to BumperPlugs for CF.

They do a great job and can do many other finishes as well. I had my silver '06 Cayman's console done in exterior color. I never liked the look, even compared to stock, but they did a perfect job on the console. If doing it again, I would have matched the dark finish on the rest of the dash and steering wheel instead of the Arctic Silver....but the workmanship was flawless. They are good and have been putting finishes like this on Porsche bits for many years.

I think the techquipment route is probably an extravegance but you can have it all done in a day this way and don't have to drive around without dash trim for weeks while your bits are being processed...and you can switch back to silver and sell the CF bits when you sell your car. The CF is beautiful though. I have black Full Leather and it really looks nice.

:alien:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase!

I would think the most economical solution is to use a carbon vinyl wrap and solves the problem with the doors. I believe it looks indistinguishable from the real thing these days.

·
Registered
2018 Boxster GTS
28 Posts
When I was looking to do the same thing I added all the parts I wanted from db-carbon and it was over $2100 USD. After some research I found this overlay kit on eBay and since there was a 30 day money back guarantee exchange period, knowing I could return it if it didn't look or fit great I took a gamble.
9pcs Carbon Fiber Interior Cover Trim Kit For Porsche 911 981 718 Boxster Cayman
I am very picky about the fit and finish of my car and this kit fit great! For 1/4 of the cost @ $550 this was a home run. (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, interesting. Wonder how the door inserts would be fitted? but an option anyway. I'll contact them, thanks!
What did you end up doing? I'm looking at doing the same thing and the door strip is the only thing holding me back. I've got a Spyder in GT Silver with Classic interior. CF isn't an option with the Classic interior.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S, 2018 Macan S
2 Posts
When I was looking to do the same thing I added all the parts I wanted from db-carbon and it was over $2100 USD. After some research I found this overlay kit on eBay and since there was a 30 day money back guarantee exchange period, knowing I could return it if it didn't look or fit great I took a gamble.
9pcs Carbon Fiber Interior Cover Trim Kit For Porsche 911 981 718 Boxster Cayman
I am very picky about the fit and finish of my car and this kit fit great! For 1/4 of the cost @ $550 this was a home run. (y)
Regarding your Interior Cover Trim Kit-- really appreciate the info on this. It looks like a great solution. I do have a few questions. My understanding is that it goes on OVER the existing trim [both Aluminum and leather/vinyl]. Is that correct?... and have you had any issues with it since you installed it?

·
Registered
2018 Boxster GTS
28 Posts
Regarding your Interior Cover Trim Kit-- really appreciate the info on this. It looks like a great solution. I do have a few questions. My understanding is that it goes on OVER the existing trim [both Aluminum and leather/vinyl]. Is that correct?... and have you had any issues with it since you installed it?
No issues at all, it fits great and goes over the existing trim. I just made sure to clean the existing aluminum surface with rubbing alcohol before using the 3M double sided tape to adhere the carbon trim. (y)

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
529 Posts
Add a little carbon and.... voila! Beautiful mods 🆒

·
Registered
2017 BXS 6MT NIGHT BLUE/CHALK
32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Boxster GTS
28 Posts
Do you get annoying reflections off of it? My BXS has the standard shiny silver trim that will flash in my face on a sunny day with the top down. I was looking at brushed aluminum and ran into the door trim issue. Thanks in advance for feedback.
I honestly have never been bothered or even noticed the reflections from the sun.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
529 Posts
99% of my driving is with top down (Florida: lots of Sun). No reflections to report.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts