Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I bought what I needed to mount a 12v outlet in the frunk (or as the child of one of our GB members calls it, the froot) but needed to plug in a charger last winter in the standard footwell socket. It was so easy to do and just as discrete as if I'd done it in the froot! So, one less mod needed.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I bought what I needed to mount a 12v outlet in the frunk (or as the child of one of our GB members calls it, the froot) but needed to plug in a charger last winter in the standard footwell socket. It was so easy to do and just as discrete as if I'd done it in the froot! So, one less mod needed.
A picture is worth a thousand words.......when you have the time.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words.......when you have the time.
Well, until then, a word picture. My condo garage has assigned parking places. I convinced the condo board that my area of the garage needed a power drop and had one installed. I then ran a short extension cord down to the floor and encased some of it in a wire runner so a neighbor wouldn't trip on it. The cord end is encased in a waterproof holder so when the garage is washed by the maintenance guy, he doesn't get shocked, etc. The cord ends at the front end of where I park my Porsche. I plug in my CTEK charger, which places the charger on the inside rear area of the floor by my front right tire. The charger's wire snakes from there inside the bottom front of the door and, with the cigarette lighter plug extension, into the foot-well socket. I found a pix of the cord on the floor crossing my neighbor's storage bin. Cost: about $25 for extension cord and wire runner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ordered the smoking pack, £38 here in the UK for the lid cubby lid but the dozy twonks forgot to fit it...I haven’t paid for it but I’m a bit miffed, I wanted the lid for the clean looks and to keep change etc, out of the sight of brick weilding scrotes who will smash a window given the slightest sniff of a freebie....not that I leave it anywhere where these scum operate but still, I ordered it because I wanted it, bottom lip is out a little....

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I ordered the smoking pack, £38 here in the UK for the lid cubby lid but the dozy twonks forgot to fit it...I haven’t paid for it but I’m a bit miffed, I wanted the lid for the clean looks and to keep change etc, out of the sight of brick weilding scrotes who will smash a window given the slightest sniff of a freebie....not that I leave it anywhere where these scum operate but still, I ordered it because I wanted it, bottom lip is out a little....
That is disappointing but will the dealership retrofit one for you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
That is disappointing but will the dealership retrofit one for you?
I’ve e-mailed the sales guy so we’ll see, I can’t see why you can’t get a tray and lid, should be a simple drop in job I imagine. For £38 they can throw it in for nothing as they forgot to spec it....
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I’ve e-mailed the sales guy so we’ll see, I can’t see why you can’t get a tray and lid, should be a simple drop in job I imagine. For £38 they can throw it in for nothing as they forgot to spec it....
:rolleyes:
I agree it doesn't sound like that big a job just fitting a part in an existing slot and a little bit of wiring for the lighter/12v socket but I could not get any of the dealerships in Texas to just say okay will charge you such and such amount and, BTW, no problem.
Maybe you will have better luck on the other side of the pond. Hopefully, they can retrofit it and deduct the £38 as a courtesy.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I bought the Smoker's Package retrofit from Suncoast. It comes with a wire harness and simple wiring diagram.
Are you going to install the Smokers Package? If so, it would be helpful if you could take some pictures. What needs to be dissembled to attach it?

Addendum:
Here are the steps for the retrofit for a 911; see post #25. Then depression set in.......:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Addendum:
..................... see post #25. Then depression set in.......:ROFLMAO:
Post #26 will really make you laugh :p I love tidy mechanics.

Actually taking the console apart looks to be pretty easy. No tools required. Been contemplating a short shift kit and I also just received the memory module and have that to install. The auto top down module looks to be a pita. I looked at the location and yeah, removing the seat would make it much easier.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Post #26 will really make you laugh :p I love tidy mechanics.

Actually taking the console apart looks to be pretty easy. No tools required. Been contemplating a short shift kit and I also just received the memory module and have that to install. The auto top down module looks to be a pita. I looked at the location and yeah, removing the seat would make it much easier.
I think I understand the difficulty I encountered in getting one of the dealerships int Texas to install the smoking package probably relates to the fact that this install is requested infrequently and it is a tad involved........not exactly plug and play. The other part of it is, I would prefer not to have my Porsche taken apart to that extent by the dealership I can only imagine winding up with a scrape here and a scuff there etc.........

·
Registered
230 Posts
FWIW, I put the short shifter in the day I took delivery. A) disassembly of the console is quite easy (and there are videos to guide you). B) That shifter was the best mod I've installed. Such an improvement to the driving experience.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
FWIW, I put the short shifter in the day I took delivery. A) disassembly of the console is quite easy (and there are videos to guide you). B) That shifter was the best mod I've installed. Such an improvement to the driving experience.
Which shifter?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Which shifter?
I got the Porsche part from Suncoast; it's actually the shifter from a 981 GT4. Direct drop-in replacement though. The only difference in the assemblies is that it's 2cm shorter. Incidentally, Numeric Racing has installation videos for theirs. The process is exactly the same. Took me 45 minutes being careful.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I got the Porsche part from Suncoast; it's actually the shifter from a 981 GT4. Direct drop-in replacement though. The only difference in the assemblies is that it's 2cm shorter. Incidentally, Numeric Racing has installation videos for theirs. The process is exactly the same. Took me 45 minutes being careful.
Thanks for the info. I was considering the NR shifter but may well go with the Porsche. Some of the feedback on the NR shifter is it's almost too notchy and getting into reverse is made even more difficult than it already is. Have you found any issues with the GT4 shifter getting to reverse?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was considering the NR shifter but may well go with the Porsche. Some of the feedback on the NR shifter is it's almost too notchy and getting into reverse is made even more difficult than it already is. Have you found any issues with the GT4 shifter getting to reverse?
Can't speak to "Too notchy," the porsche shifter feels great. Harder into reverse is a thing though; you have less lever arm. Still, it's not as though you can't access reverse. It just means you have to give it a shove or smack it over. I don't really even notice any more. The ergonomics while actually driving are so much better.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread w/ my shifter evangelism. Mostly wanted to say that console disassembly is pretty easy and there are vids out there to guide you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Easy install. No video but Found some helpful pictures on planet9. Only need to remove the large silver oval trim piece. Do not remove the vertical trim pieces on the sides.

I used a flat piece of hard plastic to wedge under the silver trim. Starring at the bottom firmly but gently pry up the trim and attached rubber gasket. Once the trim is removed, there are three pieces of the center console which snap in. Starting at the top grasp the console piece with door lock switch and rock left & right to pull loose. Next pull out the main console with buttons down the sides. Finally remove the cup. Smokers package snaps right in.

Only thing to be careful of is bending the silver trim when removing.

Are you going to install the Smokers Package? If so, it would be helpful if you could take some pictures. What needs to be dissembled to attach it?

Addendum:
Here are the steps for the retrofit for a 911; see post #25. Then depression set in.......:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, like many I forgot (knew nothing about it!) to add on the smokers package. I'd like it purley for the clean look. I see I can buy from Suncoast in the US but the shipping is very high. Does anyone know of a UK / Europe seller? Thanks

21 - 40 of 43 Posts