Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously considering replacing the standard, plasticky dash strips where the cup holders are etc, with the brushed aluminium parts (not on the doors). Has anyone retrofitted these elements themselves? Is it straightforward? Has anyone prepared a step by step guide? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the exact same retrofit as you mentioned on my 981- it is a very straightforward install & I had no problems at all.
The brushed aluminum is much better than the cheap, shiny plastic stock parts.
The parts are the same for the 718/982. It took me about 45 minutes, but I went very slowly.
You will only need dash trim removal tools, nothing else.
The trickiest piece to remove is the trim around the ignition as there is a wire connected to this piece. Go very slowly when removing this piece.
The trim above the glovebox with the cupholders is the most difficult piece to remove; it needs a lot of force to take it out. I followed this guide:

·
Registered
21 Posts
It looks like that macarbon guide says just to yank the cupholder assembly out. When I removed my cupholder assembly I couldn't get it to budge, but I was also scared of yanking really hard on it. It turns out there are two holes in the top of the glove box (inside the glove box) where one can stick a screwdriver (I might have used a torx driver) in the holes to release clips and the assembly slides right out. If you shine a bright light in the gap between the cupholder assembly and dash it should make more sense.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the exact same retrofit as you mentioned on my 981- it is a very straightforward install & I had no problems at all.
The brushed aluminum is much better than the cheap, shiny plastic stock parts.
The parts are the same for the 718/982. It took me about 45 minutes, but I went very slowly.
You will only need dash trim removal tools, nothing else.
The trickiest piece to remove is the trim around the ignition as there is a wire connected to this piece. Go very slowly when removing this piece.
The trim above the glovebox with the cupholders is the most difficult piece to remove; it needs a lot of force to take it out. I followed this guide:
Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: disclafs

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like that macarbon guide says just to yank the cupholder assembly out. When I removed my cupholder assembly I couldn't get it to budge, but I was also scared of yanking really hard on it. It turns out there are two holes in the top of the glove box (inside the glove box) where one can stick a screwdriver (I might have used a torx driver) in the holes to release clips and the assembly slides right out. If you shine a bright light in the gap between the cupholder assembly and dash it should make more sense.
Great tip, thanks!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just upgraded the dash and center console trim to black aluminum. I've got full beige interior and I've been itching to replace the stock shiny plastic. The car is black so I thought the black aluminum trim would pull a bit more of the exterior color into the interior. I think it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just upgraded the dash and center console trim to black aluminum. I've got full beige interior and I've been itching to replace the stock shiny plastic. The car is black so I thought the black aluminum trim would pull a bit more of the exterior color into the interior. I think it looks pretty good.
Great looking upgrade! Have been considering doing the same. Did you use OEM replacement black aluminum trim (from Suncoast?) or was this aftermarket stick on over the original plastic trim? If OEM replacement, how challenging was your install? Thank you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I really like the black aluminum with the beige.

To follow up on my prior post, I had to pull my cupholders today to remove my glove box. There is a slot towards the back on either side where you stick a short object (used my smallest normal screwdriver) and push the clips in the dash to release the assembly. This has to be done with the cupholders extended. I can see where yanking on it would probably also work, but releasing the clips is really easy. FWIW this was on a 911 but I assume the 718 is the same process because it's the same cupholder assembly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks all for the comments. I went with the OEM aluminum trim from Suncoast. The install was really easy. If you search YouTube there are videos that will walk you through it. You just need a trim pry tool to pry out the three smaller pieces. Disconnecting the electric harness on the one by the ignition switch was a little challenging but really not hard. And, as noted, getting the cup holders out was a bit of a challenge but good advise to release the clips with a screwdriver. I really don’t like applying too much force to things. Pulling the side panels off the center console is pretty easy - pull it towards the outside of the car to release the horizontal pins then rotate slightly and pull straight back to release the it - but I ended up breaking two of the clips on the passenger side so I’ll probably end up replacing it. Ugh! Take your time and be careful!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts