Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously considering replacing the standard, plasticky dash strips where the cup holders are etc, with the brushed aluminium parts (not on the doors). Has anyone retrofitted these elements themselves? Is it straightforward? Has anyone prepared a step by step guide? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the exact same retrofit as you mentioned on my 981- it is a very straightforward install & I had no problems at all.
The brushed aluminum is much better than the cheap, shiny plastic stock parts.
The parts are the same for the 718/982. It took me about 45 minutes, but I went very slowly.
You will only need dash trim removal tools, nothing else.
The trickiest piece to remove is the trim around the ignition as there is a wire connected to this piece. Go very slowly when removing this piece.
The trim above the glovebox with the cupholders is the most difficult piece to remove; it needs a lot of force to take it out. I followed this guide:

·
Registered
20 Posts
It looks like that macarbon guide says just to yank the cupholder assembly out. When I removed my cupholder assembly I couldn't get it to budge, but I was also scared of yanking really hard on it. It turns out there are two holes in the top of the glove box (inside the glove box) where one can stick a screwdriver (I might have used a torx driver) in the holes to release clips and the assembly slides right out. If you shine a bright light in the gap between the cupholder assembly and dash it should make more sense.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the exact same retrofit as you mentioned on my 981- it is a very straightforward install & I had no problems at all.
The brushed aluminum is much better than the cheap, shiny plastic stock parts.
The parts are the same for the 718/982. It took me about 45 minutes, but I went very slowly.
You will only need dash trim removal tools, nothing else.
The trickiest piece to remove is the trim around the ignition as there is a wire connected to this piece. Go very slowly when removing this piece.
The trim above the glovebox with the cupholders is the most difficult piece to remove; it needs a lot of force to take it out. I followed this guide:
Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like that macarbon guide says just to yank the cupholder assembly out. When I removed my cupholder assembly I couldn't get it to budge, but I was also scared of yanking really hard on it. It turns out there are two holes in the top of the glove box (inside the glove box) where one can stick a screwdriver (I might have used a torx driver) in the holes to release clips and the assembly slides right out. If you shine a bright light in the gap between the cupholder assembly and dash it should make more sense.
Great tip, thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts