Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
I googled the words attributed to Blume:

'We have to turn left or right if we make a new platform for an electric sports car. We have to make that decision soon.'

and came up with nothing. So, it must be only in the printed version...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I googled the words attributed to Blume:

'We have to turn left or right if we make a new platform for an electric sports car. We have to make that decision soon.'

and came up with nothing. So, it must be only in the printed version...
I saw your first post but couldn’t find the actual interview. Is it online or only in the print version? Do you have a link to the interview or what issue it is in. I would be interested in reading it.

Thanks
Here you go. A little deeper than a few pull quotes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Keep in mind that when Europeans talk to each other, they have a different context than Americans do. I think a lot is being read into quotes that are directed to a Euro audience.

Friends of my family immigrated here from Germany. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, some of their relatives came to Pennsylvania to visit. One of them asked to borrow the car for the day. When asked what for, the reply was "to visit Disneyworld".

So Blume isn't talking to someone from Montana in this interview. He's talking to a European urbanite. Different context.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
It is an interesting article, in as much as the CEO of Porsche is presenting an outline of their development thoughts.

I am not putting any stock in synthetic fuels (SF). Carbon neutral is most likely DOA... If they produce SF in tomorrow's societies, it might be a very small, highly regulated and excruciatingly taxed sector of the market destined for supercar owners. Sounds like wishful thinking...

However, the rest of the vision seems interesting.

If indeed bring only NA-6 for the European and American markets (GT4/Spyder) they have concluded that US/European consumers can afford them and they don't need to give us a break with the cheapie 4Ts. Let the Chinese and the developing world gobble them up... More importantly, I haven't seen any emphasis or denial on whether the twin turbos will stay with the 6 cyl engine. They are on the 911, aren't they?

Whatever they make, sharpen up your checkbooks. The Whatever-6 may be an interim engine change, IF they decide to go all electric (by next year...).

May we live in interesting times (old Chinese curse).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am glad I bought my 718C when I did. If they still import Caymans, you might as well buy a 911. Imagine paying substantially more for an underperforming car. Sure the GT4 might be close to the GTS in performance, but at a substantial increase in cost. But a downgraded six cylinder is still going to cost a lot more than even an S and with underwhelming performance.. I bought my well-equipped base '18 for 64,000 plus fees. Considering the history of Cayman sales( including 6 cylinders), the future of the Cayman looks dim.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Aside from obvious issues like, perhaps the interview was in German and then translated or even in English with precision being less than would normally be expected in an interview in one's native language. I find the following quote from the online article to be nothing but typical vague rubbish.

"And conversely the US and Europe wants a return to a six-cylinder Boxster/Cayman, for which a new six-cylinder engine will soon be confirmed. "

So he didn't confirm it but confirmed that it will be confirmed in the future? WTF? If it is even accurate then it sounds like a decision has NOT been made. I'm sticking with the info/interview was filtered through an idiot so...maybe we get a downsized 6 from the Spyder/GT4, maybe we don't. Maybe we only get special edition 718s in the US, consistent with prior remarks by Porsche, that are priced higher than standard/base, S and GTS cars.

In any event, if they drop the T4, then it depends on performance of the replacement. If they only have de-powered NA6 engines, for more money then the T4 becomes an instant collectable, IMO. Over time the track advantages of this car will be so obvious no one will be talking about the sound.

If they go with a T6, then it will be a great car but priced high enough to protect the T4 resale.

Either way, no doubt a new F6 or T6 will be heavier and then we can listen to all the complaints about the car weighs more and power to weight is the same as the prior generation but costs more.

OK, Oliver, I'm ready, let the complaints begin!

·
Registered
209 Posts
When Porsche says "U.S. and Europe", I think it's the media they're talking to for free publicity. That's the oldest saw in the book. Generate free advertising by floating The Next Big Thing.

I say this because Cayman sales for the 718 were only down about 300-350 units over the NA6 981, or about 10%. 10% could come from two-seat sales decline in general, as 911 sales were off by about the same amount, with no flat four to blame.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
When Porsche says "U.S. and Europe", I think it's the media they're talking to for free publicity. That's the oldest saw in the book. Generate free advertising by floating The Next Big Thing.

I say this because Cayman sales for the 718 were only down about 300-350 units over the NA6 981, or about 10%. 10% could come from two-seat sales decline in general, as 911 sales were off by about the same amount, with no flat four to blame.
If this was just a Porsche rep speaking, then i agree with you, but why would the CEO make a statement like that during the Taycan intro.
Maybe I'm hoping for my last car to be a mid engine NA 6 or 6T by a company that has only bought me joy, thrill and excitement.
So maybe I have selfish reasons.
I'm easy to please, come on Porsche..don't tease me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If this was just a Porsche rep speaking, then i agree with you, but why would the CEO make a statement like that during the Taycan intro.
Maybe I'm hoping for my last car to be a mid engine NA 6 or 6T by a company that has only bought me joy, thrill and excitement.
So maybe I have selfish reasons.
I'm easy to please, come on Porsche..don't tease me.
Oh it’s entirely likely that some version of the EVO six debuting in the GT4 will find its way into the Cayman and Boxster, as well as the 911. Porsche in as much said so at the GT4 debut by saying they had “big plans” for this new engine.

For all we know, the flat four was a stopgap for an engine series that wasn’t quite ready. No company would ever tell the public such a thing.

It’s all just chat value to me. I love my car for what it is:love:. And Porsche will have a very hard time improving this platform without overlapping the 911. It will be fun to see how the press twists itself into knots explaining how the first new Boxster/Cayman series that fails to significantly outperform the one it replaces is still better in spite of it. No wonder Blume isn’t sure which way to turn.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I find the following quote from the online article to be nothing but typical vague rubbish.

"And conversely the US and Europe wants a return to a six-cylinder Boxster/Cayman, for which a new six-cylinder engine will soon be confirmed. "
+1 Not sure how many here have read any Evo reviews of the 718, but they hate the car and trash the h*ll out of it, constantly whining about the loss of the NA 6 while trashing the turbo 4s. They don't even compliment the handling, looks, and interior upgrades ........... only occasionally doing so in a "backhanded" manner. The trashing they gave the car initially was unprofessional, in my opinion. It does not surprise me that they would slant any info, remotely leading to the return of the NA 6, true or not, as fact.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes it will :p
I can see it now...the tachometers on the press vehicles will never dip below 5k - something wholly untenable for most (if not all) buyers. They will declare this the "proper" performance envelope, while writing about nothing but the sound.

And we will all smile knowingly. 😊

·
Registered
81 Posts
So everyone loves the sound of the six and the torque of the turbo four. Why not give people both attributes via a hybrid six? Electric—instant—torque from 0 RPM, and a lovely wail at the top of the rev range.

Would make for a very entertaining GT4 RS!

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
So everyone loves the sound of the six and the torque of the turbo four. Why not give people both attributes via a hybrid six? Electric—instant—torque from 0 RPM, and a lovely wail at the top of the rev range.

BE PATIENT! It’s getting there... ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts

It sounds like a heavy combination.
I of course also like the sound of a flat 6, but the turbo 4 just have so much more to offer, and the sound of it is great in its own right.
You can always find something that sounds better, it just doesn't mean it will be a better fit for a sports car like the 718.
This Mercedes W140 S600 with an extreme exhaust serves beautifully as both proof and point:
It sounds fantastic, but I highly doubt that engine would be a good fit for a sportscar like the 718, and performance of the turbo 4 will likely be miles ahead.

·
Registered
246 Posts
+1 Not sure how many here have read any Evo reviews of the 718, but they hate the car and trash the h*ll out of it, constantly whining about the loss of the NA 6 while trashing the turbo 4s. They don't even compliment the handling, looks, and interior upgrades ........... only occasionally doing so in a "backhanded" manner. The trashing they gave the car initially was unprofessional, in my opinion. It does not surprise me that they would slant any info, remotely leading to the return of the NA 6, true or not, as fact.
Long time Evo subscriber here and I don't think they trash it any more more than other European motoring press. They actually credit everything about the 718, except for the sound. If I recall correctly they've given most, if not all, models four and a half stars. It just so happens that previous models got five stars.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You know, I love a good engine sound as much as the next guy. But I got passed in town on the interstate by a GT3, which I hope had a poorly chosen aftermarket exhaust - because it sounded like total ass. He had the engine speed up, totally unnecessarily on the highway. It was loud, and the tone quality was just awful. I would be mortified to drive that car. He was serenely drifting between lanes, talking on the phone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
After reading everyone’s responses, there is one question.

Even if you just bought a 2017-2020 718, if Porsche announced a new NA 6 or 6T with same or better hp/torque ratio as the 718, would you definitely, maybe or not buy that car.
Porsche also promises exhaust note like the 981 GTS. Which is fantastic. YouTube it if you haven’t heard that sound before.
Also, not speaking about any money concerns or depreciation or ability to afford. Money not in the equation for this example.
I would put my deposit down immediately.
I think all the 987, 981 owners who did not buy a 718, for whatever reason, would seriously consider this car.
Porsche knows that and maybe that’s why it’s, probably, happening, maybe.

41 - 60 of 159 Posts