Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Also, not speaking about any money concerns or depreciation or ability to afford.
Well then, if money doesn't matter, why choose? I'll have one of each! :D
I've said this before and I'll say it again: I love my 718 Cayman. I already chose it over NA-6 offerings. No need to ponder unrealistic hypotheticals.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks like I'm not the only one thinking along the lines of a light hybrid six:

(Dr. Frank Steffen-)Walliser (Porsche's man in charge of the 718 and 911) did welcome the idea of using hybrid technology to extend the life of Porsche’s widely celebrated naturally aspirated GT engines. “A hybrid for sure with a normally aspirated engine works well together. The low-rev electric motor torque and high-revving normally aspirated engines fit perfectly. It could help to keep a normally aspirated engine to survive, and we are very motivated to do so”.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-frankfurt-motor-show/hardcore-porsche-718-cayman-gt4-rs-spotted-first-time

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
Different people see 'hybrid' differently.

Toyota saw it as a small motor running economically to serve the average power needs of the car while the electric motor would provide additional torque/power when high levels of torque/power are needed.

Porsche sees it as a 'turbo' providing power/torque where the NA-6 lack it, i.e. in low revs, for sudden acceleration.

I think that such a hybrid would be just as 'blah' for city driving, as the NA-6.

(Back to our regular programming) but the glorious wail of the NA-6 will be preserved.... Wow!...

·
Registered
17 Posts
If Porsche says they can't fit a flat turbo six in the Cayman/Boxster then I don't see how it would be possible for them to fit a hybrid/NA6 in the same space.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The power still has to come from somewhere. Solar panels? Windmills? Good luck.
Plenty of folks in my neck of the woods charge EVs with solar. It works really well.

Porsche has spent a ton developing the new EVO flat six, it's satisfied the EU mandates (for now), and they likely want to utilize it in as many platforms as possible.
I keep hearing this, and I have to ask: How does that not apply to the 4T motors?

One of the things that sold me on the 718 is that Porsche didn't just grab the venerable VAG 2.0T and just go "Here ya go." They made two new motors.

I am glad I bought my 718C when I did.
So am I...I just wish the automotive press didn't crap on it quite so much.

If Porsche says they can't fit a flat turbo six in the Cayman/Boxster then I don't see how it would be possible for them to fit a hybrid/NA6 in the same space.
The next-gen PDK in the 992 has room in the transmission for an electric motor. That's where it would go. As for where to put the batteries, I'm sure there are options.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Plenty of folks in my neck of the woods charge EVs with solar. It works really well.
Your neck of the "woods" is SoCal or somewhere in the southwest, I'm guessing? Probably works ok on a small scale where you are, so for your area it makes sense. In places like the Upper Midwest, where the winter permacast can blot out the sun for days on end, not quite as viable.
I own some woods. Two towering old-growth oaks in particular are something my "green" neighbor would love to see come down so her solar panels aren't shaded as much. Isn't gonna happen. I like my version of green better (except when its time to rake leaves, which is soon).
I keep hearing this, and I have to ask: How does that not apply to the 4T motors?
From what I've read, our F4t engines are not that much out of the ordinary, in the sense that the task of plumbing everything in the limited engine well was the most demanding part of development.
By contrast, the new F6 is a ground-up powerplant, featuring alternating cylinder-bank-shutdown that cannot be disabled ala stop/start. It's a full-time process that cycles on and off with engine load. I imagine such a process is tricky enough in any engine, but even more so when the performance demands Porsche is known for are factored in. The cost of developing that must have been considerable.
Consider also that Porsche has already delivered thousands of the F4t worldwide, whereas the new F6 is only now beginning to be produced, and only on two limited-run models so far.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Vi fit ein Flat Turbo Six in ze 911. Vi cannot fit it in ze Boxster/Cayman. Vat ez dat ze don't understand?

911 fit/non 911 vi don't fit!
Yah. Das 911 haf ein bigenbutt. Macht motor-platz! Nicht fur ein schlank Cayman haus!

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Yah. Das 911 haf ein bigenbutt. Macht motor-platz! Nicht fur ein schlank Cayman haus!
Aber die 718 hast nicht ein backseaten -- und das design von die cottonpicken futurisch 718/TT ist wo?

:: giggle ::

Looking at all the pretty blinkenlightens,

·
Registered
659 Posts
Your neck of the "woods" is SoCal or somewhere in the southwest, I'm guessing? Probably works ok on a small scale where you are, so for your area it makes sense. In places like the Upper Midwest, where the winter permacast can blot out the sun for days on end, not quite as viable.
And for folks trapped in the great white north there are other CO2-neutral options available.

The fact is things can be do to make electricity more efficiently and cleanly delivered to homes. There are alternatives. With gas it's always going to be a CO2 pollutant. So I strongly disagree with the idea that electric cars are a scam.

From what I've read, our F4t engines are not that much out of the ordinary, in the sense that the task of plumbing everything in the limited engine well was the most demanding part of development.
By contrast, the new F6 is a ground-up powerplant,
Given that Porsche didn't have any 4 cyl engines in production they were still brand new engines from ground up. They aren't at all related to the standard VAG 2.0T. So, again, I think that the investment in those engines is also worth considering.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Given that Porsche didn't have any 4 cyl engines in production they were still brand new engines from ground up. They aren't at all related to the standard VAG 2.0T. So, again, I think that the investment in those engines is also worth considering.
IIRC the F4T engines are basically the F6T with 2 cylinders chopped off and an adjustment of bore and stroke for the 2.5 litre version. I'm sure it's not quite as simple as that but you get the idea.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The fact is things can be do to make electricity more efficiently and cleanly delivered to homes. There are alternatives. With gas it's always going to be a CO2 pollutant. So I strongly disagree with the idea that electric cars are a scam.
I thought long and hard about responding again. I do not want to darken the forum with this off-topic issue, but I had an idea that will better explain my reasoning than a drawn-out post.

Yes, there are efficiencies to be found. And they should be pursued, for obvious reasons.

Too much CO2, as with anything else, can be a bad thing. And I am glad you used the word pollutant, as it fits precisely with the problem with EVs, only not how you might think. I should have brought this part up in the first place, but it is dark.

Sustainable, renewable, eco-friendly, earth-friendly, etc., are marketing terms. They are designed to evoke a sense of fait accompli in the reader. They are often used to refer to the part of an equation that works, though when taken in total, part of that equation fails. And when part of an equation fails, the whole equation fails with it - hence, EVs are a scam.

Below I have linked to two articles. A similar article caught my attention in a doctor's waiting room a couple of years ago, and started my whole train of thought on this subject. This is the type of reading I prefer when I want to draw my own conclusions. They do not address EVs or windmills as the subject of the article. Those types of articles are usually predisposed to a preconceived conclusion, and are therefore not useful. However, if you choose to read these articles, you will see why I think EVs are a scam (remember, it is estimated there are over 1 billion cars/trucks worldwide, and they're nearly all ICEs).

61 - 80 of 159 Posts