Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
JCG:

Instructor is right!

I brake for hard for Turn 7, then, shift down to 2nd when the car is at about 50mph...(do not look at your speedometer. You should know where the 4-2 downshift is safe by the sound...Practice that on side roads). Engine revs up and you let out the clutch a few feet before entry, now you can work your corner.

Experience allows you to make small mistakes/variations in turn-in and do a respectable job without hurting the car or lap times. If you search for the perfect line in that corner, you're going to be distracted with the tach, the camera and all the rest. This is not a corner where you can gain significant time...It's a slow, short corner. Goal should be to minimize damage to your momentum (and the car).

If you turn in too early, run over the inside curbing more. That improves your line and you can salvage the turn. Tricks like this will really help you be safe out there. This is why too much emphasis on times and getting it perfect can mess up an intermediate driver.

You just want to avoid losing time in Turn 7. ...In slow-ish and fast out, on the go-pedal at the apex, but just enough to put the car at the left side of the track at corner exit...and you should be looking at Turn 8 from the apex of 7, not the dials and not the exit of 7. Keep your head up and look where you want the car to go.

That's also what you want to do at exit of Turn 8, btw. It's so easy to let the car go too far right and then have to turn it back in. Look down the track at the point past the little side road. Point the car straight to 9.

This is such a fun track. Just writing about it is making me want to drive it again!

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Registered
807 Posts
Haha! Yea, I can't wait. The KYPCA is there this weekend, but only for solo and instructors. I really, really appreciate the advice on 7! Did a track walk with our lead instructor (in the rain) and he pointed out that the outside of middle of 8 actually cants the wrong way! My biggest problem on 8 is I keep trying to sneak up on the late apex instead of heading there after getting around the turn more. (Sigh) But I'll get there.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts