Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new member here (actually never used a forum in my life) just picked up my new 718 cayman 6 speed 3 days ago and I'm in love already. Anyway no matter what mode I'm in, or if traction control is on or off, the auto rev match feature isn't working. I know if it was working I would be whining about it, as I love doing it myself and can heel toe quite nicely, I had an s2000 as a daily driver for the last 12 years. Am I missing something in the settings? I mentioned to the salesman about not really wanting the feature, is it possible he had a tech disable it and forgot to tell me. If something is wrong I'm not sure I want to fix it, but it is a new car after all. Thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
Rev matching should work in sport mode or sport plus if you have it. It won't work in normal mode. I am not aware that that feature can be disabled.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's something I would consult with the dealership with. Although you would prefer to have it off, I would just make sure everything is supposed to be working the way they intended it to. Never know what else could have been possibly affected by this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, just made an appointment with the dealer. The service guy said he's never heard that complaint before. I'll post back with the outcome

·
Registered
317 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but is it correct that auto Rev-matching is not available on cars with manual transmissions?

I have driven manual transmission cars more than 30 years, and I just can't seem to get the hang of heel-toe driving. I sure would like to learn how, though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There are manual transmission cars with rev matching. There are also tuning boxes for some vehicles that can implement auto-blip (rev-matching) to the vehicle as well :)
Heel-toe shifting is something that you really need to practice to get right though. There are some pedal sets for cars that make it a bit easier for you to "reach"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are plenty of helpful videos on youtube. It's very unnatural at first, it took a few months of practice before I could get it consistently, and even longer to become natural, but trust me, it's a very satisfying thing to master.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the conclusion to this is that either I'm an idiot, or the dealer is wrong. (I wouldn't rule either out) they said that only cars with the sport chrono package have rev matching. So if anyone has a 718 with the manual and no sport chrono, if you could chime in one way or the other it would be appreciated. I did get a free car wash out of the deal though....

·
Registered
317 Posts
So the conclusion to this is that either I'm an idiot, or the dealer is wrong. (I wouldn't rule either out) they said that only cars with the sport chrono package have rev matching. So if anyone has a 718 with the manual and no sport chrono, if you could chime in one way or the other it would be appreciated. I did get a free car wash out of the deal though....
My car (6 speed S, sans Chrono) does not have rev matching. My understanding was that feature was only available on cars with Chrono and PDK.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's really weird then, because review sites are saying that it's a standard feature with the manual transmission gear box.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any more details about the aftermarket rev-matching feature? I did not go for the sports chrono and regret it somewhat. I can heel toe quite well however one thing that is needed for proper heel toe rev matching is at least some decent brake pressure. Light braking makes heel toe awkward and it therefore does not work too well. I think it would be nice to have the car do it automatically and not have to mess with the race car style brake/heel/ toe routine every time. Only 600 km in my car and enjoying it immensely ☺

·
Registered
595 Posts
The information from your dealer is correct. The below is from the 718 marketing material with relevant section in bold:

6-speed manual transmission. The 718 models are equipped with a smooth-shifting 6-speed manual transmission optimally matched to the respective engine map. The shift throws are sporty and short – shift effort is low. This means short shift times for a sporty and directly engaging driving experience. The drive becomes even more dynamic in conjunction with the optional Sport Chrono Package: in SPORT and SPORT PLUS mode, the dynamic throttle-blip function ensures the optimum engine speed for every downshift, a more emotional driving experience and an impressive sound

·
Registered
119 Posts
OP, assuring you are in US, the rev-matching is only available with SC package. In EU, rev- matching is a standard feature.

Car magazines often do initial tests with EU spec cars, which could cause confusion.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think there's a widely-held misconception that one can only rev-match manual downshifts with a true racing-style 'heel-and-toe' technique. That's true if maximum braking/constant pedal-pressure is required throughout the downshift (as on the track). Else one merely needs to 'blip' the throttle while the clutch is disengaged-- and this can be done with a quick right-foot movement:
1. off brake
2. blip accelerator
3. back on brake
Needs to be quick, but without the gymnastics of heel-and-toe covering both pedals simultaneously. With most of the braking/deceleration done before the blip, as the left foot re-engages the clutch the right foot gets back on the brake.

·
Registered
595 Posts
OP, assuring you are in US, the rev-matching is only available with SC package. In EU, rev- matching is a standard feature.

Car magazines often do initial tests with EU spec cars, which could cause confusion.
That's the first time i've heard of rev-matching being a standard feature in the EU. Specs do differ from country to country but that would be more than the inclusion of an option as standard; it actually implies a function change between the EU and the USA models, which would be unusual unless there was a very specific reason for doing so.

For what it's worth my quote above is taken from the book I received from my NZ dealer that was printed in Europe and is available for download from the Porsche website.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts