Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Cayman S coming mid-March!
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WARNING - Newbie Question! :)

I ordered a Cayman S a few weeks back and am now looking at various parts/pieces to purchase. The RGS radiator guards appear to be a must.

One thing that I've noticed is that RGS offers a grille for the center opening for a GTS, but not the other models. Is there nothing to protect in the center opening in a Base, T, or S model?

·
Registered
2022 Cayman S coming mid-March!
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had the RGS grills for a couple of years now and they have been very good. The Base, T and S models do not have the center radiator so do not have the centre opening so no center grill required. If you want to protect that panel in there I would put some vinyl wrap or ppf.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 718 982
4 Posts
WARNING - Newbie Question! :)

I ordered a Cayman S a few weeks back and am now looking at various parts/pieces to purchase. The RGS radiator guards appear to be a must.

One thing that I've noticed is that RGS offers a grille for the center opening for a GTS, but not the other models. Is there nothing to protect in the center opening in a Base, T, or S model?
Whilst this is an old thread, any new Cayman Base owners, I have recently purchased the front radiator grills from RGS. I was happy to receive them but when I started to instal them, my base cayman has a "blank" (Porsche designed and fitted as part of the front bumper) in the bottom intake slot.

I wasn't keen to "bash the grill to fit" so I returned them to RGS. Does anyone else have a better suggestion for the Cayman Base model or are the grills not necessary?
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,054 Posts
I think grill up front are a necessary protection against an expensive repair. Here are my Zunsport grills, all of which are held in by tabs except the bottom that has a screw. I don't know if they offer this set anymore, but they might.
Automotive parking light Grille Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: RobertM and Jbster

·
Registered
2017 718 982
4 Posts
I think grill up front are a necessary protection against an expensive repair. Here are my Zunsport grills, all of which are held in by tabs except the bottom that has a screw. I don't know if they offer this set anymore, but they might.
View attachment 47451
Thanks, I thought the Zunsport grills are fitted in front of the horizontal intake but yours seem to be behind them, which looks neater? Also have you ever needed to remove them once fitted? I didn’t really like the zip tie method with the RGS product compared to Zunsport.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,054 Posts
Thanks, I thought the Zunsport grills are fitted in front of the horizontal intake but yours seem to be behind them, which looks neater? Also have you ever needed to remove them once fitted? I didn’t really like the zip tie method with the RGS product compared to Zunsport.
I think the new ones may be over the fins, which many think gives a cleaner look. Anyway, I put these on more than three years ago and other than some repairs from flying off a track and landing on the front right corner of the car (even then I'm not sure they were removed), they have never been removed to my knowledge. I do have to brush bugs off on occasion, and then there was one year we had a cicada outbreak!

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Had RGS on our '17 BS, no center grill required. No one ever noticed the zip ties on the fronts and they still looked new with the visual appearance of OEM when we sold the car after 2 years.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Had RGS on our '17 BS, no center grill required. No one ever noticed the zip ties on the fronts and they still looked new with the visual appearance of OEM when we sold the car after 2 years.
I dislike the look of the dull plastic center trim on the standard front bumper. I don’t know what others do, but I was thinking that I may order the center Zunnsport grill just for appearance. But I need to escape the waiters club first. Ugh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts