Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the weather is starting to get a bit colder here now, and I am loving the heated steering wheel! Definitely worth having that. But now I find myself wanting a heated gear shift and heated indicator stalks. Because when I go to change gear or make a turn the gear shift and indicator stalks seem that much colder!

So when will heated gear shift and talks be an option?

Reactions: johan

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Best thread start ever!
When shifting gears with the paddles in the cold you get the same issue.
So when it getting realy Cold my fingers might be stucked to the paddles.

·
892 Posts
Best thread start ever!
When shifting gears with the paddles in the cold you get the same issue.
So when it getting realy Cold my fingers might be stucked to the paddles.[/QUOTE

No chance, it's lovely & warm in a Boxster if you turn up the heater & that's even when it's really cold. Maybe your ears & top of your head might get a little chilly, but your hands? That never happens, not unless you Vikings have suddenly gone soft all of a sudden, which I doubt. I drove 250 miles to collect my 718/982 in a 981 through the night in mid February with freezing temperatures, some ice & a sprinkling of snow on the ground in many of the more mountainous areas. The roof was down all of the way & not once did my hands get even slightly cold (no heated wheel on that). On the 250 miles back in my 718 during daylight hours the roof was again down, apart from during sleet & snow showers & not once were my hands even slightly chilled. Although it's fitted with a heated steering wheel function & I've turned it on just to try it I can't imagine ever actually needing it. I should add that whilst I don't particularly feel the cold my wife does & even she never experienced a problem in my old 981 Boxster. Given that she also suffers quite badly with Reynaud Syndrome that's quite some testament to what an excellent design the car is for protection from wind buffeting & how efficient the heaters are when set appropriately.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I like you Chilli, you have the right attitude!

Heated steering Wheel have a great feeling but its not that you die if you dont have it.
982/981 compared to 986 is a big leap forward regarding driving top down in the cold.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No chance, it's lovely & warm in a Boxster if you turn up the heater & that's even when it's really cold. Maybe your ears & top of your head might get a little chilly, but your hands? That never happens, not unless you Vikings have suddenly gone soft all of a sudden, which I doubt. I drove 250 miles to collect my 718/982 in a 981 through the night in mid February with freezing temperatures, some ice & a sprinkling of snow on the ground in many of the more mountainous areas. The roof was down all of the way & not once did my hands get even slightly cold (no heated wheel on that). On the 250 miles back in my 718 during daylight hours the roof was again down, apart from during sleet & snow showers & not once were my hands even slightly chilled. Although it's fitted with a heated steering wheel function & I've turned it on just to try it I can't imagine ever actually needing it. I should add that whilst I don't particularly feel the cold my wife does & even she never experienced a problem in my old 981 Boxster. Given that she also suffers quite badly with Reynaud Syndrome that's quite some testament to what an excellent design the car is for protection from wind buffeting & how efficient the heaters are when set appropriately.
In winter do you just leave the climate control and A/C on and set it to whatever temp you want and have it figure out what to do? or do you turn the A/C off, specify the desired temp, and which vents should be used?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you gonna drive top down you take the air from the floor up, turn of side vent.
And top up a mainly use the auto mode.

·
892 Posts
I like you Chilli, you have the right attitude!

Heated steering Wheel have a great feeling but its not that you die if you dont have it.
982/981 compared to 986 is a big leap forward regarding driving top down in the cold.
If it wasn't reasonably warm I'd say so. My wife's old Audi A4 was incredible for roof down winter driving (in terms of warmth only, the handling was shocking with far too much scuttle shake), with the wind deflector in place I could drive at near freezing wearing merely a polo shirt. As soon as you stepped out you'd sure feel it, but in the car no problem & it was actually really toasty. Her old TT rag top was the worst side of cold in winter, even wearing a ski jacket. The 981 & 982 Boxster warmth levels are somewhere between the two & you definitely need a decent jacket at low temperatures but unless it's wet I always have the roof down. I've never had to resort to a hat or gloves but in all fairness you might well be driving at lower temperatures. However like I said my actual hands just never get chilly however cold it's been. Top of my head & ears a little, but hands no, not in the slightest (I also shave my head to crew one every couple of days & am quite tall which explains why my head gets cold). My car is equipped with climate control, but what I personally do is override it (bypass the auto) & turn off the A/C. Put the heat on high (not necessarily on full but it depends on the temperatures at the time), put the blowers on high (how high again depends on the conditions). Windscreen/upper vents off & either mid & low level or just mid with the occasional low level blast. I actually find that even at very low temperatures if I end up in slow moving traffic then I have to adjust the heat down because it starts to get too warm. The heaters are absolutely superb & whilst you might deem what I do to be a bit of a fiddle after a very short time it just becomes second nature (The description takes far longer than carrying out the settings & also makes it sound far more fiddly than it actually is in practice).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts