Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got to the magic run-in number and did my first real pull. That was just insane! Why would anyone need or want any more power than that? I’ve said before that a base model would suit me fine and that just confirmed my belief. What a rush! But driving the twisties is always going to be the most enjoyable for me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's amazing how quickly us humans can adapt to the power. Soon it will feel normal. Before long it'll feel underpowered. Why do you think there are so many 500+, 600+ and 700+ hp cars made today? Remember when 300 hp was among the most powerful?

Because we humans are so adaptable and crave more.

:D

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
153 Posts
So I finally got to the magic run-in number and did my first real pull. That was just insane! Why would anyone need or want any more power than that? I’ve said before that a base model would suit me fine and that just confirmed my belief. What a rush! But driving the twisties is always going to be the most enjoyable for me.
These little badasses have some kick to them! :D

When I was out running errands today a Hellcat pulled up next to me at the stop light. He looked over and gave the nod. We took off when the light turned green. My little GTS that is tuned was neck and neck with that Hellcat till we hit 110. I'm not one to really do this, but the road we were on had no traffic in front or behind us. At the next light the owner of the Hellcat was smiling ear to ear, as was I of course, but he couldn't believe the he didn't "smoke" me because his Hellcat has 700 blah blah blah horse power. I told him I'm pushing 450hp, and weigh about 1500 pounds less than him.

Just a fun little story to share.

·
Registered
383 Posts

When I was out running errands today a Hellcat pulled up next to me at the stop light. He looked over and gave the nod. We took off when the light turned green. My little GTS that is tuned was neck and neck with that Hellcat till we hit 110. I'm not one to really do this, but the road we were on had no traffic in front or behind us. At the next light the owner of the Hellcat was smiling ear to ear, as was I of course, but he couldn't believe the he didn't "smoke" me because his Hellcat has 700 blah blah blah horse power. I told him I'm pushing 450hp, and weigh about 1500 pounds less than him.

You could also put that power to the asphalt. The Hellcat eats expensive rubber spinning and spinning.

·
Registered
19 CGTS and 15 Macan S
40 Posts

Which tune you running? I’m getting ready to tune my gts as well. The 365 horsepower figure from the factory is misleading when guys with their 450+hp American cars aren’t any faster cause they weigh 800+ pounds more.

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
153 Posts
Which tune you running? I’m getting ready to tune my gts as well. The 365 horsepower figure from the factory is misleading when guys with their 450+hp American cars aren’t any faster cause they weigh 800+ pounds more.
I dyno'ed the GTS before tuning the car, and before the adding the exhaust components. It came in at 397hp to the rear wheels, stock. So I'm estimating that with the tune and exhaust it's sitting somewhere around 465'ish rear wheel hp.

I went with the Fabspeed tune as I put on Fabspeed exhaust components. It's a tad bit more than the other tunes, but I have the ability to flash my stock tune back if I need to. The COBB tuner allows you to do the same as well. I really do like the APR tune, and that company, but you have to pay a authorized dealer to flash your car and they all usually want one hour of shop labor to do that.
Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman ExperTune Performance Software

Video I made showing how to tune your car with the Fabspeed tune.

·
Registered
19 CGTS and 15 Macan S
40 Posts
I dyno'ed the GTS before tuning the car, and before the adding the exhaust components. It came in at 397hp to the rear wheels, stock. So I'm estimating that with the tune and exhaust it's sitting somewhere around 465'ish rear wheel hp.

I went with the Fabspeed tune as I put on Fabspeed exhaust components. It's a tad bit more than the other tunes, but I have the ability to flash my stock tune back if I need to. The COBB tuner allows you to do the same as well. I really do like the APR tune, and that company, but you have to pay a authorized dealer to flash your car and they all usually want one hour of shop labor to do that.
Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman ExperTune Performance Software

Video I made showing how to tune your car with the Fabspeed tune.
That’s great man. I definitely feel the car is underrated by Porsche, everyone that’s ridden in it feels like it’s much more powerful than the stated figures tell.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
That’s great man. I definitely feel the car is underrated by Porsche, everyone that’s ridden in it feels like it’s much more powerful than the stated figures tell.
WOT under WOT!...:cool:

(Wall Of Torque under Wide Open Throttle).

Compared to my previous car (2014 Mustang GT) they have very similar lbs/HP and 0-60 mph (4.2 vs 4.5 for the Porsche).

BUT

The way you get to 60 is soo different. I suspect that 0-120 the Mustang might be faster as the HP and torque in taller gears and higher RPM might be telling, but 0-60 the Porsche feels nimbler.

·
Registered
311 Posts
When I ordered my Boxster last year I certainly considered, and even desired, an S but just could not justify just under $10K for 50 more HP. Now that I have had the car for a year I am nothing but happy I made that decision. The 300 advertised HP I do have does not dissappoint and it reliably and easily gives me my dopamine release when I ask for one. My previous driver was a BMW Z4 with an advertised 255 HP. Not only was that car somewhat heavier, its advertised HP I think was exaggerated whereas my Boxster's 300 HP I suspect is somewhat underrated. As a result, probably due to the comparison, my base Boxster probably seems even more responsive than it already is.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What I like most about the base 2.0t engine is the power delivery. It feels very linear to me and almost N/A like, pulls hard to redline with a nice kick past 6k rpms. It is plenty of power for an every day car and for the moment I really enjoying a more "usable" level of power. My prior car was an F80 M3 with the CS tune at 450hp/430tq so the 718 is down significantly in power from what I was used to. However, the power delivery of the M3 was not ideal with immense amounts of torque just above idle and in the mid range and then tapering off closer to redline. Traction was a major issue and you really had to feather the throttle to maintain control in a lower gear. By 6k rpm the power was tapering off and running it to redline was somewhat uneventful. With the 718, I can pound it right off the line and it hooks up easily and the linear power curve begs to be taken to redline.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 718 S. It drives nicely, but definately not rediculous power in my mind. Similar acceleration to my old BMW M135i but the BMW was quicker <2500RPM. It has enough power but I could take another 50-100hp!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Here's the thing about having more power. It's like being a gunslinger in the old west. On any given day there is always somebody out there faster'n you. Or in this case, with a car faster'n yours. So you could start with 250hp and be faster'n 90% of 'em, but what about that other 10%? So you move to 300hp and be faster'n 95%, but what about that other 5%? So you move to 400hp and be faster'n 99% of 'em. Then you tune your car to 650hp and be faster'n 99.9% of 'em, but what about that last 0.1%? Maybe you'll never meet that guy or gal with the 800hp Somethingorother XT or the 1100hp Whatsit S4, but what if you do, what if you don't? You really gonna' race him on the street? Well, maybe.;) In the end you're sitting at a stoplight with so much power you can use it in only certain rare circumstances. Unless you are in real, not street-cred, competition the fact that somebody out there has a 1300hp DropMeDead GXTV122 isn't going to make the slightest difference to anybody. But there is a price to be paid anyway. So when do you stop your own power race?

Just offering a different sense of perspective here.

I'm happy with my base 2.0. Would I like more? I guess so. I dunno'.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here's the thing about having more power. It's like being a gunslinger in the old west. On any given day there is always somebody out there faster'n you. Or in this case, with a car faster'n yours. So you could start with 250hp and be faster'n 90% of 'em, but what about that other 10%? So you move to 300hp and be faster'n 95%, but what about that other 5%? So you move to 400hp and be faster'n 99% of 'em. Then you tune your car to 650hp and be faster'n 99.9% of 'em, but what about that last 0.1%? Maybe you'll never meet that guy or gal with the 800hp Somethingorother XT or the 1100hp Whatsit S4, but what if you do, what if you don't? You really gonna' race him on the street? Well, maybe.;) In the end you're sitting at a stoplight with so much power you can use it in only certain rare circumstances. Unless you are in real, not street-cred, competition the fact that somebody out there has a 1300hp DropMeDead GXTV122 isn't going to make the slightest difference to anybody. But there is a price to be paid anyway. So when do you stop your own power race?

Just offering a different sense of perspective here.

I'm happy with my base 2.0. Would I like more? I guess so. I dunno'.
There's a similarity in being an audiophile. We're always chasing the last few percentage points of "perfection"!

·
Super Moderator
1,335 Posts
The advantage AND disadvantage of being human is that we are almost infinitely adaptable.

So sure, we all get "used to" the power and performance we have and as humans we enjoy a modicum of newness. We must remember though that "more is not always better".😝

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
There's a similarity in being an audiophile. We're always chasing the last few percentage points of "perfection"!
For both Audio and Horsepower, the limiting factor is ME.

I had tests done when I was 30 and could hear 20 kHZ. Now, I can't hear 12.5kHZ. Why would I spend money on a Burmester, or a decent audio system for home. In the car, I prefer to listen to the Soundaktorless engine sound!

I am not conceited enough to think that I can burn the track (any track) and I need more horsepower, I can't put down 600HP in a track with real turns and hairpins, or in the twisties (like the Cherohala last year). I will just kill myself and anyone unfortunate to come in contact with me...

My joy is to take my Cayman S to any place where I can marvel how I can take the turns with the aplomb the Porsche provides at the level I can drive it fast.

In the city I refrain from dragging at the lights, although often challenged. You can't take on every young dick with a rice rocket, it's pointless... Racing the lights is pointless and costly. That's what the Hellcats do...

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
153 Posts
In the city I refrain from dragging at the lights, although often challenged. You can't take on every young dick with a rice rocket, it's pointless... Racing the lights is pointless and costly. That's what the Hellcats do...
Yes, that is what they do. I feel victim to this mindset this past weekend.... However, I couldn't help myself. :cool:
Then my little angel popped up on my left shoulder in the likeness of my wife, and it said...... "Save it for the track!" :ROFLMAO:
I've been driving lifted trucks that last 12 years that look good going slow. Having a go fast car is so foreign to me.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Then my little angel popped up on my left shoulder in the likeness of my wife, and it said...... "Save it for the track!" :ROFLMAO:
I take it you weren't driving at the time. Otherwise how'd she get over to your left shoulder in a US-based car?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but I finally quit chasing nirvana years ago, accepted the "law of diminishing returns", realized my system sounded better than 99.99% of what most people had, and just started enjoying the music and movies. It was almost like beating an addiction 😇

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but I finally quit chasing nirvana years ago, accepted the "law of diminishing returns", realized my system sounded better than 99.99% of what most people had, and just started enjoying the music and movies. It was almost like beating an addiction 😇
I can relate. If a little farther derailed is ok I want to reminisce. For a very long time for me there was never a film speed fast enough, in digital times a photo sensor with enough pixels, enough horsepower under my hood, a high enough S/N ratio for my sound system, bright enough headlights, an audio tape with low enough hiss, dry enough wine, a big enough TV in my living room, etc. etc. However, as I get (actually gotten) older the quest of nirvana, as you so aptly put it, has become of less and less importance. Prior to this discussion I actually felt satisfaction that I reached a point where I did not buy the biggest engine and have had zero regrets. My stereo system, once using up a rack of living room space with monstrous speakers, now consistes of an old iPhone, Pandora, and a small Bluetooth speaker. It not only provides as good as sound as the megabuck systems once strived for but I am also not wishing for enough knobs, lights, switches, sliders, and whammydyne displays to be reminiscent of a 747 flight deck. Age is very effective for breaking the addiction.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts