Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
There's a similarity in being an audiophile. We're always chasing the last few percentage points of "perfection"!
[This is a long post and slightly off-topic. Bear with me please.]

Yes, well, you are right. I usually avoid discussions of audio because it can end up like talking about religion. Everyone has their own perspective so, like power, what is good to one person is only so-so to another. There is always another upgrade to do, and similarly, another truth to learn, which may or not actually be true despite what common knowledge and urban legend may say.

I offer some credentials. I have a significant academic background for understanding the math and physics of wave propagation and I've studied the psychoacoustics of music enough to take advantage of them in real-wold situations. I worked as a software engineer at Lexicon for 10 years. I developed the automatic room setup and room correction system for the MC12, a high-end surround sound pre-amp. For that project I had the opportunity to test a number of different rooms, both good and bad, including a newly build test room at JBL, and I wrote a software program to model the theoretical room behavior of speakers arbitrarily positioned in a room of arbitrary size. The consumer-audio test room at Lexicon had a drop-dead wonderful home theater to die for and I got play in it! I wrote software and effects for pro-musician gear. I wrote most of the diagnostics for the LARC II, the remote controller for the 960 which is or at least was the most ubiquitous high-end reverb and effects system in all high-end recording studios. (This list is too short. I could go on but I bore you.) I wrote a magazine column for two years on sound reinforcement for acoustic bands. My own band has been playing for 41 years and I've played guitar, mostly acoustic, for about 60. We have produced 2 vinyl discs, 10 (I think) CDs, and one DVD. I mixed about a third of them. I've had hearing tests for various reasons, spent most of my life with reduced HF hearing in one ear. A few years ago for medical reasons I needed ear surgery which included rebuilding the ear drum. So now that ear is much better. It's been a long and glorious audio trip.

So what's the point (besides just bragging), you ask. There is a connection, just wait. Way back when I worked at Lexicon I bought on employee discount the cheapest JBL surround system they offered. I augmented it with a pair of McIntosh bookshelf speakers I had purchased when I was a poor just-out-of-grad school employee somewhere. My sweetie and I no longer spend much time just listening to music for its own sake but we do watch DVDs and BlueRay discs, and now that we can't go anywhere and can't perform anywhere while covid-19 is raging, lots of streaming video. Trust me on this, if you want to hear absolutely gorgeous sound listen to a well mixed surround soundtrack on a decent but not necessarily expensive system. Every time a sense of envelopment grabs me by the throat I am astounded by how, um, enveloping it can be. I didn't spend much money by high-end audio standards but it sounds wonderful nevertheless.

The connection to our favorite Porsche is this: Spending a lot on audio is like going for the most horsepower. But there is a better way to nirvana. Get a few subtle details right, like handling, tires, balance, and then sit back and enjoy the ride. You can always find something else to upgrade but that's not where the happiness lies. Happiness lies within when all is harmony.

I've had enough beer for today.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's the thing about having more power. It's like being a gunslinger in the old west. On any given day there is always somebody out there faster'n you. Or in this case, with a car faster'n yours. So you could start with 250hp and be faster'n 90% of 'em, but what about that other 10%? So you move to 300hp and be faster'n 95%, but what about that other 5%? So you move to 400hp and be faster'n 99% of 'em. Then you tune your car to 650hp and be faster'n 99.9% of 'em, but what about that last 0.1%? Maybe you'll never meet that guy or gal with the 800hp Somethingorother XT or the 1100hp Whatsit S4, but what if you do, what if you don't? You really gonna' race him on the street? Well, maybe.;) In the end you're sitting at a stoplight with so much power you can use it in only certain rare circumstances. Unless you are in real, not street-cred, competition the fact that somebody out there has a 1300hp DropMeDead GXTV122 isn't going to make the slightest difference to anybody. But there is a price to be paid anyway. So when do you stop your own power race?

Just offering a different sense of perspective here.

I'm happy with my base 2.0. Would I like more? I guess so. I dunno'.
I totally get that. I think my 718 S has enough power. I just don't think ridiculous is an accurate assessment in my mind. Probably 500hp would get that label. Plenty of cars are available with similar power to weight. Ridiculous to me is beyond the normal.

Just adding an edit.... I have not driven a non-S 718. I don't know if they have enough power but mine with less would test my limit. The car looks exotic, so I think it needs a certain level of performance to justify its looks. I think it needs to be faster than a common hot hatch and there are hot hatches doing 0-60 in 5 seconds. I of course realise the car is about handling and I love the handling even an AWD pocket rocket may out grip in certain circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
1,335 Posts
<snips>I have not driven a non-S 718. I don't know if they have enough power but mine with less would test my limit. The car looks exotic, so I think it needs a certain level of performance to justify its looks. I think it needs to be faster than a common hot hatch and there are hot hatches doing 0-60 in 5 seconds. I of course realise the car is about handling and I love the handling even an AWD pocket rocket may out grip in certain circumstances.
😊 According to Car & Driver's test of the base 2017 Boxster it's 0-60 time is 4.0 seconds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
😊 According to Car & Driver's test of the base 2017 Boxster it's 0-60 time is 4.0 seconds.
Where is that test? What do they get for a Golf R or BMW M140i or similar Euro hot hatch? I would not be confident my 718 S could do it in 4.0. Maybe in optimal conditions on a grippy surface?

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
153 Posts
I take it you weren't driving at the time. Otherwise how'd she get over to your left shoulder in a US-based car?
Figuratively speaking....... If she was in the car at that time I would be in trouble.... The kind of trouble where I track you down, and ask to sleep on your couch. :D

Reactions: CaymanMatt

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
153 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2017 Boxster S. Completely stock with SC and PDK. I got it recently and where I live it is winter since I got it and stock (original) Goodyear tyres are struggling with launching... without launch control. Summer and perhaps better tyres may help. Of course I have not timed the 0-60... just going by feel compared to other cars I have owned.

I think it has enough power, but I have an old (98) WRX I use for motorsports (Motorkhana/track) and it makes the Porsche feel slow... but it does high [email protected] with a 1.5 60ft. It has around 500hp and weighs about 1230kg. I suspect 0-60 is well in the mid 2s. But it is not much fun for road driving and attracts the wrong type of attention so only gets released from the garage for motorsports. The Porsche is a much nicer place to be and while the WRX is very fast around the track, it lacks the handling finesse of the Porsche. I am amazed by the steering response and front end grip while maintaining good ride comfort. You can't really compare the two cars.... but I would not complain if I could flick a switch on the SC selector and have 500hp!! Happy with the 350hp 99% of the time.

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
93 Posts
Even cars without sports chrono have launch control

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,335 Posts
I'd be curious to know how close those numbers could be reached without Sport Chrono and launch control. Any real world experience out there?
I've posted the complete C & D raw test data for the 2017 base Boxster (no SC) a couple of times. It should be searchable.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you are really old then the 300 hp is adequate. I owned a 49 Crosley Hotshot with 26.5 hp, a 1960 Fiat 600 with 28 hp, a 1955 VW with 36 hp, a 1960 AH Sprite with 43 hp and a 1959 Alfa Romeo Sprint coupe with 79 hp.

Near as I can tell the Boxster is faster.
I think I've been insulted. I am happy with my 300hp but though I am 71 I am decided not old. So there, nyah.

I went through the "Do I need that extra 50 or 65hp?" logic when I bought my Cayman. I came to the conclusion that I could use that money for other things, like buying all the gas I'd use over at least half the life of the car!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hopefully you say that in jest. No intent to insult. I am happy with the 300hp but though I am 81 I am decidedly not old. Of course that is my opinion.
I defer to your great experience. I are just a baby. (Yes it was in jest.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think anyone here is suggesting the base 718 does not have enough. I have not driven one, but I suspect it is great for many. I opted for the S and that is enough for me (but I would happily take more!!)

I was just questioning the "ridiculous power" desciption. I have driven cars I would describe as having ridiculous power and I don't think the 718 in any standard configuration has that in my mind. In my mind ridiculous is when a RWD is breaking traction in 3rd as it gets on boost... or your neck is pinned back hard against the seat and you can barely move it forward at 60+ MPH. For me that is sub 11.0 second quarter mile cars like high end exotics and Teslas etc. Most of the cars I have driven in that category have been Jap imports with major mods... including a few Mazda rotors.

But everyone is different!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Agree that anyone who has driven some fast cars before would certainly not put any of the 718 variants in the “ridiculous power” category. Try a launch in a turbo s and feel your insides being pushed out the back of your body lol

·
Registered
383 Posts
Part of the issue is perspective.

The 1990 Ferrari Testarossa was one of the fastest production cars of its time going 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 13.5 seconds. The 1990 Porsche Turbo 3.3 did them in 4.4 and 12.9 seconds respectively. Certainly one of the fastest in the day. So a base Corvette was still doing 5.7/14.1 thirty years ago.

I remember those cars vividly. I owned a 90s C4 Vette. They were all considered very fast cars. Even ridiculously fast.

Today, a base Porsche Cayman can do 0-60 in the low 4 second mark and flies through the 1/4 mile in under 12.5 seconds. Only the most exotics did those numbers as recently as the turn of the 21st Century.

The speed of today's sports cars is mind boggling. Even in their most basic forms.

That being said, human beings are quite adaptive. Even the new 911 Turbo might eventually seem slow one day. Wow!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Maybe ”ridiculous” is overstated. But this lightweight car with a 4 pot turbo pushing 350 horses got to 100 in a couple blinks of the eyes and felt like it had so much more to give (and I was only in 3rd gear). Maybe “Surprising” is more appropriate or maybe “stunning”......no matter (pick your own adjective). It’s **** impressive and addictive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree that had it appeared years ago, the base 718 would have been ridiculous. It would have been the fastest production car! Times have changed!

But today there are many cars that may not even be called a sports car that are in the same realm of power/acceleration. Some of them are cheap hatchbacks. Some are family wagons/SUVs. To me that does not diminish what the 718 is. I don't think mid engine Porsches are about power... they are about dynamics and balance. If you want the thrill of acceleration and power, there are much cheaper cars that are quicker.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts