Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I can't believe I actually "fit" in a ND Miata, I test drove a 2021 Touring MT when I was on a weekend car search way before the idea of a 718 came into view.

The worst part of the experience was the SA riding along with me... I made the cabin tight by myself and then you add in another human, haha. The stick was sublime, it was a little bit too raw for me, but it reminded me of my love for MTs. Hard to cross shop a ND with a base 718, even new vs used, IMO, but I love the Miata nonetheless. Everything the article points out Re Mazda's willingness to go for it, when they don't really need to, love that.

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly I am too tall for the mazda. I sat in one in the showroom, and had several chuckles along with "I don't think you fit in that" :) Rule one in a vert - you don't want to be looking over the windshield.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sadly I am too tall for the mazda. I sat in one in the showroom, and had several chuckles along with "I don't think you fit in that" :) Rule one in a vert - you don't want to be looking over the windshield.
6'4 here... so I get it, and yeah, my head was snug against the roof of the RF model. :D

It's what makes the 718 amazing, that we can fit in so nicely... once we're in, haha.

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been watching a few TR 6s, I've always wanted one. Don't know where I'll put it if I get one tho

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm 6'2" my son is 6'3" and counting. We both fit fine in my NB Miata (NA first gen, NB second gen, etc.). However the ND has something impinging on the side of the passenger footwell, and the repositioned center console eats up elbow room between the seat backs so no, we don't fit in the new ones. That 2001 NB was a fantastic car for twenty years, but the Boxster is a dream car.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Over the years I have had a Triumph Spitfire, a Triumph TR6, a Fiat 124 Spyder, a Mazda Miata and a Porsche Boxster.
I too have owned a Spitfire (30 years), a GT6 (20 years), a Fiat 124 Spyder (or Spider if you prefer), and a TR6 (which wasn't running and which I never found the time to restore before someone bought it from me).

However the ND has something impinging on the side of the passenger footwell
When I started looking for what ended up as my 718 Cayman I considered the new Miata-based Fiat 124 because of how much I liked the original 124. The interior felt a little claustrophobic but okay. However the protrusion in the passenger footwell, space for the catalytic converter I was told, was a show-stopper for my DW.

Reactions: nova996

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,302 Posts
Passenger side legroom is tough on the ND. Two intrusions: one is the cat, the other though is that the well is shorter because of space for the Bose sound system. And unfortunately that space is lost even if you don’t get the Bose sound system.

My passenger does look forward to the Boxster for that.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Isn't 'Miata' an unofficial nickname?
They may have changed the naming convention at some point but I believe Miata was its original name in the US, perhaps changed eventually to MX5 Miata. If they dropped the name Miata it would have been recently. Most people here call it the Miata, as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Miata is not the official name but is used here in the USA for marketing purposes. Most of the time it is left out of literature, and just put on the top of a broschure for the USA, but the inside says MX-5. i like to collect the brochures

(i also own an MX-5 RF 2019 "ND2")

·
Registered
718 Boxster - PDK
421 Posts
You learn something new every day 😉
I've actually been looking at 'miatas' lately. Something fun to drive and not worry too much about stone chips or parking damage. A nice 2.0L ND. The latest one with the slight boost in power over the original ones.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,302 Posts
You learn something new every day 😉
I've actually been looking at 'miatas' lately. Something fun to drive and not worry too much about stone chips or parking damage. A nice 2.0L ND. The latest one with the slight boost in power over the original ones.
It is easily one of my favorite cars I have ever owned. I own an ND1 and an ND2, ND2 being the latest one.

·
Registered
718 Boxster - PDK
421 Posts
It is easily one of my favorite cars I have ever owned. I own an ND1 and an ND2, ND2 being the latest one.
Is it an RF? I like softt ops better but it makes more sense to buy a hardtop if it will spend half its time parked outside. Just wondering if the top open experience won't be too limited. Guess I'll find out soon. Looking at this guy tomorrow:
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is it an RF? I like softt ops better but it makes more sense to buy a hardtop if it will spend half its time parked outside. Just wondering if the top open experience won't be too limited. Guess I'll find out soon. Looking at this guy tomorrow:
View attachment 37224
I'm not sure if it is a different setup in your country, but in Australia the roof open/close standard process was a bit of a pain. Not a one touch operation, ie, Have to keep finger on the button. Car must be stationary or travelling at less than 10kph. I installed the smartTop Module to manage those issues.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,302 Posts
Mine are both soft top. The ND2 is that same color as the one you are looking at. As you know, the soft top does go up and down more quickly. I don't know if the RF negatively impacts top down experience, but I did notice buffeting from the C-pillars with the top open, windows down, and rear window open (or closed). Maybe something for you to look at in your test drive. Buffeting that is louder than the ST when top down.

OTOH, the ST top up is quite loud at speed. I use it primarily as a getting around town car, or as a top down country roads car. Or as my "I have to get somewhere tonight and I need 100% reliability" car (for emergencies or anything like that)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts