Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
IMHO, when talking about Miatas and Boxsters, it doesn't pay to talk about $. I've owned an NC1, NC2, and ND1, all manuals and all bought new. Followed by a CPO 981 BS and then a CPO 982 BGTS, both PDK. I loved all of them. The 718 is my favorite by a fair margin, and a keeper. But considering the NC1 cost me $17,000 new (!), the 718 cost me 4.5x as much used! A new comparable 718 would have cost almost 6 times as much. Think of that.

But it's not about ratios. I could have had 6 NC1s for the cost of a new 718. But what would I do with 6 Miatas?

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,302 Posts
IMHO, when talking about Miatas and Boxsters, it doesn't pay to talk about $. I've owned an NC1, NC2, and ND1, all manuals and all bought new. Followed by a CPO 981 BS and then a CPO 982 BGTS, both PDK. I loved all of them. The 718 is my favorite by a fair margin, and a keeper. But considering the NC1 cost me $17,000 new (!), the 718 cost me 4.5x as much used! A new comparable 718 would have cost almost 6 times as much. Think of that.

But it's not about ratios. I could have had 6 NC1s for the cost of a new 718. But what would I do with 6 Miatas?
exactly. What would you do with 6.

My ND2 new with brembo/recaro/bbs was a few thousand more than the options on my 718. Almost comical.

Of course I expect the 718 to be quite superior in every way, except for being significantly heavier.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Top down on an rf is very regular convertible sounding and fine. It gets a little loud at 80mph with crosswinds as well. Most of noise is the atmospheric conditions vs itself i feel.

·
Registered
718 Boxster - PDK
421 Posts
I don't mind sound. The more open, the better.
So that's why I'm wondering if the shell behind you takes away from the experience. Just like a Targa does (IMO).
But even if it does, having the hard top for a year round car might be a good tradeoff.

·
Registered
718 Boxster - PDK
421 Posts
It turned out to be automatic MX-5. In general I'm all for automatic transmissions, as long as they are dual clutch ones.
This auto feels so wrong in an MX-5. It's so **** slow to shift. Like I'm being transported back in time about 20 years.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
the automatic is horrendous. it is only for people who are either disabled or just want the looks of an RF. There is no other reason to get one. It is a simple automatic transmission. It could not be a dual clutch transmission as that would weigh too much. Unlike Porsche, Mazda cares about weight and about revealing constantly exact numbers of each model and configuration. Porsche is really annoying about its information. Side note

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,302 Posts
It turned out to be automatic MX-5. In general I'm all for automatic transmissions, as long as they are dual clutch ones.
This auto feels so wrong in an MX-5. It's so **** slow to shift. Like I'm being transported back in time about 20 years.
Yeah, it's not a great auto. OTOH, the manual is, IMO, one of the very best I've ever driven. It's shockingly good for the price point.

So I think it's a must-have feature in the MX-5. That transmission, steering, and weight are what make that car what it is.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
884 Posts
Miata is not the official name but is used here in the USA for marketing purposes. Most of the time it is left out of literature, and just put on the top of a broschure for the USA, but the inside says MX-5. i like to collect the brochures

(i also own an MX-5 RF 2019 "ND2")
Is it an RF? I like softt ops better but it makes more sense to buy a hardtop if it will spend half its time parked outside. Just wondering if the top open experience won't be too limited. Guess I'll find out soon. Looking at this guy tomorrow:
View attachment 37224
@~el~jefe~ : how do you like the ND2 compared to (whatever 718 you drive)? I have a CGTS4.

@Erik van Rijn: I was looking at the "targa" RF one, but 3 seconds vs 12 seconds? Soft top seems far better.

Clip of the speed of the soft-top mechanism:

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
@~el~jefe~ : how do you like the ND2 compared to (whatever 718 you drive)? I have a CGTS4.

@Erik van Rijn: I was looking at the "targa" RF one, but 3 seconds vs 12 seconds? Soft top seems far better.

Clip of the speed of the soft-top mechanism:
i dont have anything yet in the realm of a Porsche. I only test drove 3 caymans. Mine is far away from appearing yet.

MX-5 RF is the anti-car. It is beautiful, most cars are ugly, it is light, most cars are pigs above 3000 lbs, It is super relaxing to drive. If one bought one and garaged it, kept it shiny, one would die with that in their collection still. I would consider a soft top for the experience of driving with a true convertible roadster, but the RF is just one of the best looking cars ever made. 400 dollar Red option or 300 dollar Grey option, it is stunning day or night. I only would be giving it up as mine had one accident with road debris, much had to be changed out and off of it. If I did not order a 718 this year I would re-up on the MX-5 Club. And this time with Recaro+Brembo package for the heck of it. I would not get a Grand Touring due to it being less sharp driving focused a bit. Not that you couldnt modify it though easily. Club has the cloth seats which are the most comfortable and grippy aside from the recaro+brembo option. It is an extremely freeing feeling driving an ND2 MX-5, either version. If one is in your budget to add on, it is a must have. Also note the paint and bodies are very durable and last well sitting in snow and ice and bad climates. Mine looks glowing after three years almost of never being in a garage (two bucket hand washing, daily driver)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts