Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone taking a road trip in their 718 this holiday weekend? My wife and I are taking an extended weekend road trip to Bedford Springs Resort. It's only about a two and half to three hour drive from where we are located--but the first road trip in the Boxster. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we can have some nice top down driving. I will try to post some pics from the trip. If you are taking a road trip this weekend to an interesting or not so interesting place--share your driving experiences and some pics.:D

·
892 Posts
I don't really need to do a road trip as such, we're having some great weather at the moment (between 26 & 29 celsius every day & clear sky) & I've racked up nearly seven hundred miles in the last week. Been out for a while today (air con on max) but had to take a break until it cools a little because I'm starting to closely resemble a coconut. I also live in a coastal national park area with literally dozens & dozens of beaches. When the weather is nice there are very few places I'd rather be.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful!!! I envy the weather you are having. It is raining yet again here in PA. I may have to just bite the bullet and go for a drive in the rain.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't really need to do a road trip as such, we're having some great weather at the moment (between 26 & 29 celsius every day & clear sky) & I've racked up nearly seven hundred miles in the last week. Been out for a while today (air con on max) but had to take a break until it cools a little because I'm starting to closely resemble a coconut. I also live in a coastal national park area with literally dozens & dozens of beaches. When the weather is nice there are very few places I'd rather be.

Ah yes, beautiful pictures of New Jersey!!

·
892 Posts
All pictures of Pembrokeshire, Wales, U.K. Four of the scenes are within 20 minutes drive & I actually drove past those this evening. The first one Abereiddi & is about 15 minutes away. It's a former quarry that was opened up to let the sea flood in & form a harbour. It's often used for the Red Bull World diving competition. There are numerous video's online, those guys are nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Those are some amazing scenery shots and I would so love to be there to bask in all of it's beauty! But now, I'm sure you anticipated this, we need some photos of that 718 tucked away within the scenery somewhere! ;)

·
892 Posts
Should you ever decide to do so then I'd recommend Pembrokeshire (where I live) for the beautiful & unspoilt coastline (all national park) & Snowdonia (another national park) for the inland mountain ranges. The Black mountains in Brecon are a great place for driving, especially if you can hire something interesting & were also a frequently used favourite of the old Top Gear team. Feel free to give me a shout & I'll happily provide any assistance.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Should you ever decide to do so then I'd recommend Pembrokeshire (where I live) for the beautiful & unspoilt coastline (all national park) & Snowdonia (another national park) for the inland mountain ranges. The Black mountains in Brecon are a great place for driving, especially if you can hire something interesting & were also a frequently used favourite of the old Top Gear team. Feel free to give me a shout & I'll happily provide any assistance.
Chilli--is this the best time of year to visit? When my wife and I visit it would most likely be sometime in May or June. If and when we make definite plans I will PM you and get your advice on what to see and where to go.

·
892 Posts
Pretty much anytime between May to the end of September is fine. This is Wales though & you can't always guarantee the weather no matter what time of year. It never gets either excessively hot or cold, but we do have our fair share of rain along with the sunshine. If you like unspoilt & rugged coastlines then Pembrokeshire where I live is outstanding. We also have dozens & dozens of beaches & no matter where you reside in the county you can never be more than six miles from a beach. Despite tourism representing a large slice of income for the area, it remains as beautiful as nature intended & is all the better for it. There is an abundance of wildlife, with seals, porpoises & dolphins in particularly vast numbers, along with a great many species of birds. If history is of interest then we aren't short of castles or other historic sites either, including ancient Celtic religious monuments such as Pentre Ifan (see below). But yes by all means PM me & I'll guide you as to the best places to stay, visit etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our road trip to Bedford Springs was pretty much a wash out.:( We had one day of good weather and I should have taken that opportunity for more pics--especially of the Boxster. I thought there would be more opportunities but alas not to be. I can report that the 718 Boxster does well in heavy rain. On the trip home today we went through a mighty thunder storm on I80 and nearly had to pull over. I did not experience hydroplaning or slip of any significance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I'm a huge, HUGE road-trip guy. About half the mileage on my current car, a BMW 228i M Sport, has been racked up on three: a 1,100-mile overnighter to the Ozarks, a 2,300-mile blast around Texas (West Texas/Big Bend/Hill Country), and, just recently, a seven-day, 3,300-mile, 15-state trip through Kentucky (the primary goal: at the time, it was one of only three states I hadn't visited), then to weave through the southern Appalachians' best driving roads. Here's a link to some pictures from that Appalachia trip.

I typically take one multi-day driving trip a year. You can bet I've got some epic destinations already in mind for the 718 Cayman in 2018 ... and, if I get it early enough this fall, in 2017.

Reactions: SoCalS5
1 - 18 of 18 Posts