Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Still in the waiting line for my new Boxster, but I wondered if anyone had any tips or advice for how to keep the roof clean. Are there any treatments I can apply immediately, or are there other products to apply after washing?
As ever, appreciate any advice from the community

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’ve found a lint roller is often enough, but my car is garaged at home and at work. I have a horse hair brush I use for when it gets dirtier between washes, too. For waterproofing I use Griot’s Garage fabric protectant.

This other thread might also be of interest: Maintaining Boxster convertible top

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@boxedindc - thanks for that - Mine will also be garaged when not being driven - I'll check the other thread

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am having my roof treated with Gyeon fabric coating today, along with a ceramic treatment to the car.

To be honest keeping the roof clean is a bit of a pain, the advice is not to wash it frequently. A vac and lint roller is something I use, it is difficult not to get the roof wet during the regular washing of the car and as someone who would use snowfoam this is even more difficult to use now as you are trying to avoid the roof.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I used Autoglym Roof Cleaner followed by Chemical Guys Roof Proofer (pic in Car Care Thread). When I got the car 6 months ago. The protection is certainly still there, but in heavy or prolonged rain the beading soon fades. Sometimes the beading remains on the sides but not the Roof which looks a little odd.

Maintenance wise as above light vacuum or brush if needed. The car is currently living outside so if looking grubby I have been using the vacuum or car dryer to remove most of the dust then a very weak Adams shampoo solution. The shampoo hasn't impacted on the protection from what I can tell.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A well diluted good quality APC would be better than a shampoo. Whatever you do, don't put a power washer near the roof, always rinse it with a standard hose attachment.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi,
I use this,

all my vehicles are drop tops, this usually lasts around 18 months before it needs re application the roof becomes waterproof and Teflon like.
The water beads and grime just rolls away with absolutely no washing required it’s simple to apply just use cling film to mask out the glass and bodywork surrounding the area, application takes 10 minutes from start to finish.

cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Chris718T - re the snow foam, it is not possible to direct the spray just over the bonnet, boot and sides - Might be a stupid question, but I've never used it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Chris718T - re the snow foam, it is not possible to direct the spray just over the bonnet, boot and sides - Might be a stupid question, but I've never used it!
Its impossible not to get a bit of overspray on the roof edges, even when you are doing your best to avoid it. Whilst this doesn’t result in a lot of foam on the roof, it still of course means you need to rinse it off which does of course wet the roof.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Its impossible not to get a bit of overspray on the roof edges, even when you are doing your best to avoid it. Whilst this doesn’t result in a lot of foam on the roof, it still of course means you need to rinse it off which does of course wet the roof.
What about when it’s teaming down with rain and your on a motorway at 70+ MPH how do you avoid getting the roof wet ?
i use my car as a DD and the roof is as good as new, it’s been wet pretty much constantly throughout the last winter and it’s been jet washed regularly
whats the problem with getting the roof wet ?
Its been designed to get wet and is covered by a warranty for up to 10 years if you choose to extend

·
Registered
421 Posts
There is a Porsche branded roof protectant that I used on mine and it does have the effect of causing the water to bead off the roof fabric. Seems to work well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What about when it’s teaming down with rain and your on a motorway at 70+ MPH how do you avoid getting the roof wet ?
i use my car as a DD and the roof is as good as new, it’s been wet pretty much constantly throughout the last winter and it’s been jet washed regularly
whats the problem with getting the roof wet ?
Its been designed to get wet and is covered by a warranty for up to 10 years if you choose to extend
Its not getting it wet so much, it’s getting any wash product on it. It clearly states the roof should not be washed with the same frequency as the rest of the car. Any protection product for the roof also states that the more often it is washed the less time the protection will last.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Its not getting it wet so much, it’s getting any wash product on it. It clearly states the roof should not be washed with the same frequency as the rest of the car. Any protection product for the roof also states that the more often it is washed the less time the protection will last.
Treat it with a proprietary canvas roof sealant, then wash it with water to your hearts content, i also will concede that I’ve never used a cleaning solution, foam, shampoo etc on the car.
I had the car ceramic coated (brakes, wheels and glass included) so the car can come back from a trip and look like it’s been on safari but an initial hose off to gently remove the dust and grit accumulation then jet wash, it is all that’s needed, no sponge, no swirl marks, perfect.

Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Treat it with a proprietary canvas roof sealant, then wash it with water to your hearts content, i also will concede that I’ve never used a cleaning solution, foam, shampoo etc on the car.
I had the car ceramic coated (brakes, wheels and glass included) so the car can come back from a trip and look like it’s been on safari but an initial hose off to gently remove the dust and grit accumulation then jet wash, it is all that’s needed, no sponge, no swirl marks, perfect.

Cheers
It must be a magic coating, my last 3 cars have all had a ceramic coating applied, but all have needed a touch wash at some point.

In the winter all the car tends to get is a citrus based pre wash, a snowfoam and a rinse which is about 80 to 90% effective at removing the dirt. It will get a more thorough wash on a monthly basis weather dependent.

I have always used Gtechniq, my current car is having a Kamikaze coating applied, I collect it tomorrow. I’m really keen to see the results as its meant to be a far superior product

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
I haven't really noticed the roof getting dirty much—not nearly as much as the paint anyway. A quick brush with the horsehair gets nearly everything off except the cat hair and a sticky roller gets that. I put 303 fabric treatment on about every 2 years for waterproofing but have never had a drop inside anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My previous car had a light tan colored Haartz Stay-fast cloth top - the same woven fabric material used by Porsche, BMW, & Mercedes. To clean it, start with a vacuum and a soft brush attachment - probably the most important part to get rid of pollen and dust. Every so often if you feel that it's dirty, then rinse it. When it's already wet, spray on a fabric cleaner like 303 fabric cleaner and make some suds with a horsehair brush (a lot like a shoeshine brush). Rinse. Let it dry fully then apply 303 Fabric Protector. It comes in a spray bottle but I generally pour it in a cup and brush it on then wipe off the excess to rub it in. One application of the protectant will survive several shampoos.

Vacuum, rinse, and occasionally soap and clean it this way the 303 coating will last a long time (several years for my garaged weekend driver). Having had such good results with the light tan top on my old car, that's what I'm now using on the red top of my new Boxster.

Already had a seagull the size of an albatross relieve itself on the top while I was out to dinner, and it cleaned up just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts