Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 718C 6MT without any of the performance add-ons (i.e. Sport Chrono). Now that I am through the break-in period, I am driving more... assertively. ;) The gearing on my car is such that at 70 MPH in 6th gear I am hovering at 3,000 RPM. That seems a bit high to me. I know the cars are aggressively geared, but I would imagine that 6th would be overdrive.

Is this what others are experiencing? I am also curious if that is the same for those with PDK.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
75 mpg on a pdk is 2000rpm.
The seventh gear in a pdk is a pure overdrive.
I havent thought about the sixth gear, i can check it tomorrow :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
That sounds about right. There is no overdrive in the MT. You need 6th to get to top speed. 5th only takes you to around 150 or so.

·
Registered
145 Posts
6mt or 7pdk

When I bought my CS PDK< I didn't test drive the manual because, at 66yo, I decided that the PDK was the way to go. After reading these threads, it seems that the 7th gear in the PDK would be a real advantage in highway mpg. I do sometimes wish that 7th was a little lower. The split between 6th and 7th is pretty wide.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just observed 77mph at 3000rpm on my 6MT. At 70mph it was turning just under 2800prm. However that's an S, the gearing is likely different from the 2.0 to match the power profile.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
When I bought my CS PDK< I didn't test drive the manual because, at 66yo, I decided that the PDK was the way to go. After reading these threads, it seems that the 7th gear in the PDK would be a real advantage in highway mpg. I do sometimes wish that 7th was a little lower. The split between 6th and 7th is pretty wide.

On roads where you travel around 55-60 mph the pdk cant decide if its gonna be 6th or 7th gear.
So at those speeds i always drive in manual mode.
7th gear is pretty fun on highways (or what name is), 3000 rpm and your cruising around 100 mph.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In 6th gear I get 78 mph at 3000 rpm in my 718 MT 2000 cc Boxster in Sport Exhaust mode.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pdk

On roads where you travel around 55-60 mph the pdk cant decide if its gonna be 6th or 7th gear.
So at those speeds i always drive in manual mode.
7th gear is pretty fun on highways (or what name is), 3000 rpm and your cruising around 100 mph.
Sacrificing a little fuel economy, I NEVER use automatic in non-sport. I use non-sport in manual mode when cruising and usually only shift into 7th at about 62. I don't like to drive at higher rpm's unless I'm out for fun, but I hate the lower rpm's the normal auto mode seeks. My car sounds like it's lugging. At 62mph in 7th the engine is running at about 16-1700 rpm and it's the lowest limit that I can stand.
In town, I usually drive in sport-auto and at light throttle the car will cruise down to 1800 before downshifting.
I find when I am driving around the foothills east of the Sac-San Joaquin Valley of California ( lots of great two lane curvy roads) that I really enjoy sport mode and manual shifting and keep my rpms at 3000-5000.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sacrificing a little fuel economy, I NEVER use automatic in non-sport. I use non-sport in manual mode when cruising and usually only shift into 7th at about 62. I don't like to drive at higher rpm's unless I'm out for fun, but I hate the lower rpm's the normal auto mode seeks. My car sounds like it's lugging. At 62mph in 7th the engine is running at about 16-1700 rpm and it's the lowest limit that I can stand.
In town, I usually drive in sport-auto and at light throttle the car will cruise down to 1800 before downshifting.
I find when I am driving around the foothills east of the Sac-San Joaquin Valley of California ( lots of great two lane curvy roads) that I really enjoy sport mode and manual shifting and keep my rpms at 3000-5000.
I am doing the same :)
This is my first pdk and i still want to shift with the stick
60 feels as a naturally speed to shift to 7th.
I also doing alot of driving in individual and manual mode(Everything is on but no sport pasm) i have come to love that the turbo always have a boost so when i floor it i got instant reaction.

And sport mode and PSE on when driving in town, thats just pure Evil >:D
But when the cops gave me thumbs up i come to know i need to get louder ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am doing the same :)
This is my first pdk and i still want to shift with the stick
60 feels as a naturally speed to shift to 7th.
I also doing alot of driving in individual and manual mode(Everything is on but no sport pasm) i have come to love that the turbo always have a boost so when i floor it i got instant reaction.

And sport mode and PSE on when driving in town, thats just pure Evil >:D
But when the cops gave me thumbs up i come to know i need to get louder ;)
How do you like the PDK?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
How do you like the PDK?

Good question!

For daily drive i realy like the pdk and how it works, depending on the road and to skip the jumps between 6th and 7th gear i put in manual when driving around 50-55 mph.
If the road is relative flat its not a problem but if you have to lower you speed just a bit it jumps to 7th and the moment you give some gas its back to 6t
If your in sport it gonna stay in 6th.
For me its not a problem and i am used to it.
Other then that i works with out a flaw and seamless, if you drive on the harder side it handles everyting perfect!
You can also override the auto for short moments, a handy thing when it comes to overtaking.

If you put it in in manual and use the paddles or the stick gear changes are instant as long as you keep adding speed.
So if your going fast up the gears and level out at 5th and keeping a constant rpm around 2000-2500 there might be a smal delay when shifting up/down since the gear box not might have pre selected the gear your gonna use.
But the delay is realy small!!

Same thing under braking and shifting down, it shifts immediately.

For me its track use thats gonna be a concern, or its for me to get used to pdk.
In a manual car engine brake is a component that gives you a feel for how the car handles in to curves.
I havent tracked the 718 ýet but i dont get the same feeling when i brake and going down the gears.
But then again thats more up to me to learn!

If you have sport chrono, then the real fun beginns :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts