Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this rumor on an engines the 718 could come with:

Power will come from a 2.0-liter flat-four engine that will send 286 horsepower to the rear wheels via either a manual or a dual-clutch DSG gearbox. Buyers after more grunt will be able to select a 2.5-liter version of the boxer mill rated at 360 horsepower, and additional variants will likely join the lineup over the course of the production run.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd say they go with the 2.0 as a turbo candidate, but then the question is will they simply use the new flat 4, or will they go a more traditonal route and use the 2.0 I4 Turbo from the Macan?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A flat 4 would be awesome, wouldn't mind seeing that happen.
Seeing how these flat engines have a lower center of gravity and are better balanced, I think it's something that Porsche would want to go for.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would think that they would use the Macan engine in the 718. being that it is an entry-level car, I can't see them developing an entire new engine just for it. Doesn't make sense as far as development costs are concerned.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would think that they would use the Macan engine in the 718. being that it is an entry-level car, I can't see them developing an entire new engine just for it. Doesn't make sense as far as development costs are concerned.
well they've already developed a new flat 4 for the 718, which will need to be amortised as quickly as possible. See if they go flat 4 and Macans 4 then it rises the per unit cost of the new flat 4 because pay back is lengthened as it is sold in fewer units...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, i really wouldn't be surprised if they are already 3-4 years in the development process of the 718, this stuff takes a while. And with an engine like this and like many that they and other car makers have, they will try to put it in what ever they can that's appropriate.

·
Registered
107 Posts
both the engines will be boxers...

Named after a four-cylinder race car from the 1950s, the Porsche 718 will reportedly be powered exclusively by four-cylinder boxer engines, making it the first four-cylinder Porsche since the 912. 2.0-liter variant with 285 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque will be offered, along with a 2.5-liter version that produces 369 hp and 345 pound-feet of torque

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.