Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this rumor on an engines the 718 could come with:

Power will come from a 2.0-liter flat-four engine that will send 286 horsepower to the rear wheels via either a manual or a dual-clutch DSG gearbox. Buyers after more grunt will be able to select a 2.5-liter version of the boxer mill rated at 360 horsepower, and additional variants will likely join the lineup over the course of the production run.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would expect to see a Turbo model added promptly. Porsche has a history of pushing their engines to the absolute brink, the GT3 fiasco earlier this year is perfect example...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turbo model is a must, I just don't know what engine they will use as the base for the turbo setup, but i'm also not too worried, it's Porsche after all.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd say they go with the 2.0 as a turbo candidate, but then the question is will they simply use the new flat 4, or will they go a more traditonal route and use the 2.0 I4 Turbo from the Macan?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A flat 4 would be awesome, wouldn't mind seeing that happen.
Seeing how these flat engines have a lower center of gravity and are better balanced, I think it's something that Porsche would want to go for.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would think that they would use the Macan engine in the 718. being that it is an entry-level car, I can't see them developing an entire new engine just for it. Doesn't make sense as far as development costs are concerned.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see them doing that, just that it may be tuned differently if anything, just to be more suitable for the 718.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can see them doing that, just that it may be tuned differently if anything, just to be more suitable for the 718.
That makes sense. What kind of tuning will Porsche do to make it more suitable to the 718? Less top speed? Changing acceleration?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would think that they would use the Macan engine in the 718. being that it is an entry-level car, I can't see them developing an entire new engine just for it. Doesn't make sense as far as development costs are concerned.
well they've already developed a new flat 4 for the 718, which will need to be amortised as quickly as possible. See if they go flat 4 and Macans 4 then it rises the per unit cost of the new flat 4 because pay back is lengthened as it is sold in fewer units...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, i really wouldn't be surprised if they are already 3-4 years in the development process of the 718, this stuff takes a while. And with an engine like this and like many that they and other car makers have, they will try to put it in what ever they can that's appropriate.

·
Registered
107 Posts
both the engines will be boxers...

Named after a four-cylinder race car from the 1950s, the Porsche 718 will reportedly be powered exclusively by four-cylinder boxer engines, making it the first four-cylinder Porsche since the 912. 2.0-liter variant with 285 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque will be offered, along with a 2.5-liter version that produces 369 hp and 345 pound-feet of torque

1 - 12 of 12 Posts