Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I ordered by manual transmission Boxster I made the decision to go with the base 300 HP model and not the S with 50 HP more at an almost $10K additional cost. My logic considered I was reasonably satisfied with the performance of my then current Z4 with a BMW advertised 265 HP and a few hundred pounds more weight. I strongly perceive the BMW advertised 265 HP requires a very rare alignment of all the stars in the galaxy whereas the Porsche 300 HP is probably a bit conservative.

After two years I have not at all regretted the decision but I am very curious what difference the extra 50 HP might have made. To get a dopamine release satisfying throttle response, I must be in a gear that maintains near 3000 RPM. I wonder if the extra 50 HP would allow maintaining a much lower RPM (say 2300) for the same satisfying quick responding acceleration? Anyone experience driving both the base and S for a comparison?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
When I ordered by manual transmission Boxster I made the decision to go with the base 300 HP model and not the S with 50 HP more at an almost $10K additional cost. My logic considered I was reasonably satisfied with the performance of my then current Z4 with a BMW advertised 265 HP and a few hundred pounds more weight. I strongly perceive the BMW advertised 265 HP requires a very rare alignment of all the stars in the galaxy whereas the Porsche 300 HP is probably a bit conservative.

After two years I have not at all regretted the decision but I am very curious what difference the extra 50 HP might have made. To get a dopamine release satisfying throttle response, I must be in a gear that maintains near 3000 RPM. I wonder if the extra 50 HP would allow maintaining a much lower RPM (say 2300) for the same satisfying quick responding acceleration? Anyone experience driving both the base and S for a comparison?
S or GTS will be faster but we also go above 3000 for dopamin release (Best sentence ever!)
I we where to start ~2300rpm and you at ~3000 we will catch you but i will take some effort and pretty high speed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... start ~2300rpm and you at ~3000 we will catch you but i will take some effort and pretty high speed.
Thanks for that really excellent answer. That is what I was expecting and reinforces my decision to have saved the additional $10K the S would have cost. I do not desire to be the fastest car out there but I do want the experience of feeling the G's and hearing/seeing the car rapidly accelerate. My base model certainly satisfies that need.

In 2017 I was ready to buy a new car but the current new 2nd gen Z4 was a fat too refined pig with its hard top convertable and no manual transmission. It was then not clear what the new Z4 would be so I bought a temporary 2008 Z4 3.0i in excellent condition with low mileage off Craig's List. I immediately changed the intake manifold to a three stage manifold, converting the engine to a 3.0Si with supposedly 40 more HP. I could feel the increase in power but it was not overwhelming. I kinda expected an additional 50 more HP on my Boxster would have provided a similar experience and just what you described. As soon as it was apparent the new Z4 would have 50% Toyota DNA and no manual transmission it immediately became a no go for me. Ergo, the Boxster in my driveway.

·
Registered
68 Posts
BMW is well known to under report engine output. I have not had a BMW in the past that produced less than the stated HP, averaging around 10HP more than what the paper says when dynoed. One thing to note is the BMW is probably heavier and more sound insulated than the Porsche. It gives you a sense of "slowness" simply because of the "numbing" factor.

·
Registered
2017 Cayman
79 Posts
Thanks for that really excellent answer. That is what I was expecting and reinforces my decision to have saved the additional $10K the S would have cost. I do not desire to be the fastest car out there but I do want the experience of feeling the G's and hearing/seeing the car rapidly accelerate. My base model certainly satisfies that need.

In 2017 I was ready to buy a new car but the current new 2nd gen Z4 was a fat too refined pig with its hard top convertable and no manual transmission. It was then not clear what the new Z4 would be so I bought a temporary 2008 Z4 3.0i in excellent condition with low mileage off Craig's List. I immediately changed the intake manifold to a three stage manifold, converting the engine to a 3.0Si with supposedly 40 more HP. I could feel the increase in power but it was not overwhelming. I kinda expected an additional 50 more HP on my Boxster would have provided a similar experience and just what you described. As soon as it was apparent the new Z4 would have 50% Toyota DNA and no manual transmission it immediately became a no go for me. Ergo, the Boxster in my driveway.
Have you thought about a Cobb AP or APR tune?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Saying that the +50 HP isn't worth $10k isnt entirely accurate. The S gets a few more things on top of the larger motor and power bump. Either way, don't think you can go wrong with either version. As long as you're happy with your car, that's all that matters. And keeping $10k in your pocket is always a plus.

The powerband in the S is very nice, with torque seemingly available wherever and whenever you need it. I haven't driven both back to back to offer a true comparison but I love the characteristics of my S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2017 base Boxster. It’s ridiculously quick and fast - certainly more than I could ever leverage on public roads. I started taking it to the track right after I bought it and made a few mods - Cobb tune, high flow air filters & sport cat downpipe (plus camber adjustment & switched to Michelin PS4S tires). It really can keep up with most cars on the track, and outrun many of them. I outran a 718 Cayman S over the weekend (though I sure that was just my mad driving skills - lol).

Sure, you could also tune a 718 S and get even more power, but there’s always going to be a faster car. Even in base form, It’s shocking how well the 718 performs. At the end of the day, I measure value by how much fun I’m having, and I have a blast every time I drive my base 718. I’m not sure that the S would actually result in any more fun.

(Full disclaimer - I typically do suffer from heat soak when I’m on the track, which is my only complaint about the base 718 turbo engine + tune, which is the one thing that makes me consider switching to a GTS 4.0 or maybe a 911.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2019 BB with PDK and stuff, Porsche gave me a BS for three days. Don't miss the added power that I could hardly feel driving on he street but I loved the brakes. I do get 3-5 more mpg with the base. 10,000 is a lot of money to save .

·
Registered
421 Posts
There has been a few threads like this comparing 2.0L to 2.5L. It seems most everyone is happy with what they got. There are a large group who think the base is already too fast for the street, and another group who would take another 100hp if it were available. So I guess it depends which camp you fall in.

I went to the APR website as they have dynos of all models including stock standard. I was surprised to see that both engines hit full torque (when full boost arrives) at around 2500. I thought there would be a benefit to the the 2.5L with the higher tech turbo and more capacity, but it seems that it benefits the top end more than the bottom end (as it achieves peak power about 500RPM higher). Mostly it seems it is just a percentage increase across the rev range. At 3000RPM, the 2.5L makes about 225hp. It takes the 2.0L to 3700RPM to make the same power.

I've never driven the base, so can't compare the base to S, but my S is recently tuned and added about 70hp up top and almost 100hp in the mid range, and the fun factor for me has gone up considerably. If you want a car that you can just hit full throttle in lower gears and assume it will grip and go, this is not for you. Going into winter where I live and on cold tyres (and still lively enough on warmed up tyres!), it is quite lively in the rear now which I really like. For me I like a car that needs to be driven with some finesse, so throttle control is as important as delicate steering input. Mostly I have the traction control on (as the roads I drive on have little room for error), so the challenge is getting the most out of it without triggering the traction.

As mentioned, you have to also factor into the equation that $10k buys more than 50hp. Obviously the brakes are an upgrade. Not sure what else?

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Base Cayman puts a lotof smile on my face nonetheless my mind always persuade me to ask myself if this is the case with 300 HP what would it be with 350/365 hp. I am just curious thats it other than that I am very happy with the performance. even with a lot of negative comments in Internet Admire the noise with PSE on it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I guess it is safe to say that few of us have driven both the 2.0L and the 2.5L. So any comparison is like the child saying he doesn't like a certain food when he has never tried it. Nevertheless, I'll throw in my two cents.

I own a base Cayman. The first time I punched the throttle it startled me how quickly the car shot forward. It was on my test drive on a crowded highway with the salesman in the passenger seat. I was approaching our exit ramp, creeping past a truck to my left and trying to decide if he was going to cut over to the ramp without seeing me there. So I decided to pull forward as quickly as possible. Yow! I have no idea what gear it was in, probably downshifted to 2nd. Since the ramp curve was coming up I immediately backed off and the car seemingly lurched backwards. The salesman was unruffled, slightly amused. He just smiled and said "That's okay, that's okay." Well it certainly showed what the engine could do. Of course a race-capable drivetrain should have no trouble with such erratic driver behavior. Even now I rarely have the opportunity to go full-throttle and when I do it I love how it kicks me in the back. The only trouble is, it gets into "arrest me" speeds so fast that the thrill can last only a second or so.

·
Registered
75 Posts

I have driven both on the street and on track. Both have more than enough power for the street (the S a bit too much actually). However on track, the S is barely enough in my experience. I own an S for both track and street and would never want a base or T for my use cases. But for street use only I would definitely choose a base before the S, since NVH is less in the base.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a PDK GTS and I’ve not driven the base, but coming from a much higher horsepower/torque car (Alfa Quadrifoglio - 505 HP, 443 lb-ft) I find myself wanting two things with the GTS:

1. More horsepower & torque
2. Shorter gear ratios

This is not so that I can drive faster, it’s so that I can experience more street-legal Gs as I do in the Alfa. With the GTS I have pretty much all my fun in 1st and 2nd gears (and it is a LOT of fun), but I do wish it had a bit more punch and shifting engagement.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So I've driven the base, S, and GTS all with manual transmissions within a couple of months of each other. Test drove a base first. Would have been perfectly content with that quiet honestly especially if I tuned it. Then I test drove a GTS and anyone who says they can't tell the difference either drove it too gingerly or is lying to themselves. But I still would have been content with a base as I didn't think the performance difference was not proportional to the price difference for my purposes. This is of course highly dependent on one's expectations and use cases. Then I saw a S pop up CPO with nearly all the options I wanted and some really nice bonuses I wasn't planning on. I was comfortable with the price and it fit my wants pretty well with plenty of money left on the table for me to APR tune it. It performs pretty much 8/10ths of what I felt with the GTS and noticeably quicker than the base and now incredibly quick with the tune. Now I never felt like it needed the tune, but with a tune being so easy and so relatively inexpensive, why not? Haven't driven a T which was the model I originally wanted and I probably would have been very happy with a tuned T if those were available when I bought.

To sum up my point, yes, there are noticeable differences between each trim. Is the price difference worth it? That's highly dependent the options and on how one uses the car.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
677 Posts
I guess it is safe to say that few of us have driven both the 2.0L and the 2.5L. So any comparison is like the child saying he doesn't like a certain food when he has never tried it. Nevertheless, I'll throw in my two cents.

When I initially wanted a base manual, they only had S models with PDK to test drive. And then I ended up getting the GTS 4.0 with manual. :unsure:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a PDK GTS and I’ve not driven the base, but coming from a much higher horsepower/torque car (Alfa Quadrifoglio - 505 HP, 443 lb-ft) I find myself wanting two things with the GTS:

1. More horsepower & torque
2. Shorter gear ratios

This is not so that I can drive faster, it’s so that I can experience more street-legal Gs as I do in the Alfa. With the GTS I have pretty much all my fun in 1st and 2nd gears (and it is a LOT of fun), but I do wish it had a bit more punch and shifting engagement.
Wow! You keep on feeding my Alfa addiction! I have a 2019 GTS and find traction in lower gears can be an issue. I have hesitated to get a tune for that reason, but like you, Wanderer, I love more power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Saying that the +50 HP isn't worth $10k isnt entirely accurate. The S gets a few more things on top of the larger motor and power bump. Either way, don't think you can go wrong with either version. As long as you're happy with your car, that's all that matters. And keeping $10k in your pocket is always a plus.

The powerband in the S is very nice, with torque seemingly available wherever and whenever you need it. I haven't driven both back to back to offer a true comparison but I love the characteristics of my S.
HI ebing new here, is there a "list" of what the S gets you other than the obvious 50HP?
thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
One thing that is not in the brochure and that few people know about, is that the 19-inch alloys on the S is flowformed, so they’re lighter than the your normal 19-inch alloys.

Other than that all information about the differences are in the brochure, but not as a list.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
677 Posts
HI ebing new here, is there a "list" of what the S gets you other than the obvious 50HP?
thanks!
I don't think people want to re-hash what is available freely, but the S does add the variable-turbo-geometry, which could reduce potential turbo lag. 2.5 liter vs 2.0 liter also.

Reactions: yellolab
1 - 20 of 24 Posts