Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - point me to a thread if this has been discussed before...

But is it safe to drive my 718 aggressively? In other words, at most stop lights / signs, I do full throttle when I press the gas. Very often when I press the gas, I drive in spurts of full throttle.

Hope I don’t sound too ridiculous asking this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You do not sound ridiculous but remember you own a Porsche not a (insert generic name here). These cars are made to e driven and driven hard. In reality I would buy second hand, a car that has bee driven hard over a car that has never seen revs north of 2500. Of course you want to make sure that the oil temp is at least greater than 180F (until then keep it below 3000-3500 RPM and without sounding puritanical make sure that it is safe to do so. As long as those two issues are satisfied then have fun.

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
Engine and transmission—probably no issue.
Front of car—smashed due to hitting cars in front of you at high speed.
Rear tyres—gone in months.
Insurance—cancelled.
Licence—lost, may not be an issue as you're probably in jail.
😁

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You do not sound ridiculous but remember you own a Porsche not a (insert generic name here). These cars are made to e driven and driven hard. In reality I would buy second hand, a car that has bee driven hard over a car that has never seen revs north of 2500. Of course you want to make sure that the oil temp is at least greater than 180F (until then keep it below 3000-3500 RPM and without sounding puritanical make sure that it is safe to do so. As long as those two issues are satisfied then have fun.
Got it.
I always knew I should let car warm up a bit. Now I will use 180F temp as a reference! Thanks.

·
Registered
'18 718 CS, Pdk, Night Blue met. Agate grey int. 14 way H/V seats20" Carrera, PSE, PrmPkg
31 Posts
I think I'll stick with occasional assertive driving.

Tree falling/woods type question.
If there's nobody else on the road, is it still aggressive?
Mostly towards the tires as noted above.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Every car will last longer if you are more gentle with it.
I am not sure that that is necessarily true for a Porsche. In general my feeling is if I wanted to be gentle with a car there are a lot cheaper better riding more comfortable cars to buy then a Porsche. I bought my Porsche so that I could experience the thrill of spirited driving. Furthermore Porsche are designed to be opened up and pushed and not doing so is not good.

As far as OP is concerned thought the thrill of a Porsche comes not from off the line acceleration but rather in the handling once you are at speed and so personally although I like to push redline it is not usually from off the line acceleration

In twenty years time if I have the choice to buy a boxster with 60K miles with lots of visits to redline as shown by level one on the DME vs boxster with 10K miles with no level one DME readings I know which one I am going for and it is NOT the low mileage one. Ironically the lower mileage Porsche will likely be worth a lot more than the higher mileage one but hey that works for me

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can't see how one can possibly drive like that. Full throttle starts at every light would be ridiculous IMO. I'd never get out of first before slowing down or breaking hard. I don't ***** my car but not FULL throttle all over town.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi - point me to a thread if this has been discussed before...

But is it safe to drive my 718 aggressively? In other words, at most stop lights / signs, I do full throttle when I press the gas. Very often when I press the gas, I drive in spurts of full throttle.

Hope I don’t sound too ridiculous asking this.
I track my stock 718S regularly. You would not believe the punishment this car can take. We were full throttle after the turns and in the straights (up to 127 mph) at Laguna Seca this weekend and the air temp was 105 degrees. This car just eats other cars in B group and stays with C group cars. Push it all you want. And by the way, it is my everyday driver. However, unlike you, I drive like an old man around town, conserving fuel and staying safe.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am not sure that that is necessarily true for a Porsche. In general my feeling is if I wanted to be gentle with a car there are a lot cheaper better riding more comfortable cars to buy then a Porsche. I bought my Porsche so that I could experience the thrill of spirited driving. Furthermore Porsche are designed to be opened up and pushed and not doing so is not good.
The opposite of agressive driving is not slow driving, but it is smooth driving. Take a smooth line through corners, give the car time to grip, apply smooth throttle, brake into the corner smooth... It's not agressive, yet still fast. Often faster.

However back to the question of VH101305 , if you give full throttle there is no doubt you stress the drivetrain compenents more. Engine insulators ( fancy reactive ones on a 718), tyres, gearbox, crankshaft... none of those parts thrive from a jerking motion, regardless what car maker made them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don’t think he is saying that he floors it when there is another red light immediately coming up. But in general, if the road is open, once the light turns green it’s game on :)

Im with the OP on this. I am accelerating full throttle or very quickly any chance I get. Part of the fun of owning a car like this.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
My only wear item has been rear tires. My dealer be like "Hey, what are you doing..."
Jaki: Be patient, you clutch will be gone soon. Also, if you hammer it while hitting bumps, expect the half-shaft/CV joints to take a beating. They're good but they will break...and they're not cheap to fix.

Learn the zen of quick driving while preserving the car...endurance racers are masters at it. Add another level to the chess game...no tickets ever. Anyone can mash the gas. It's all about the turns for me. I was a HP driving instructor for over 20 years. Great stuff. Get yourself to a track weekend and learn what it's really about.

Reactions: InTgr8r

·
Registered
267 Posts
^ why would his clutch be gone soon? Unless he is doing repeated high rpm launches, simply giving the car full throttle while in gear will not cause the clutch to wear out prematurely.

If a Porsche cant handle some aggressive driving then its certainly not living up to its image.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts