Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,
I’m not much of an expert (on anything lol), but I have a layman’s understanding of some motoring concepts and one that I am somewhat wondering about is this,

does the base 2.0L cayman have a design that makes it safe (enough) to drive at higher speeds?

say, 125-150mph on a decent ish long highway road?

In the 340i I had previously, that car did not feel safe at 125+, it became very soft and flighty like the suspension was made of marshmallow at the front end, like a good strong breeze would lift the car off the ground.

this car being so light especially at the front, just wondering what if anything is needed to keep the car planted. Does it have enough downforce for high speed driving or are people getting aero kits?

How is the stock suspension at those speeds?
What if anything is necessary to do to the car to keep it planted at the top end?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Porsche places an incredibly high amount of emphasis on the engineering of its sports cars' chassis dynamics. This includes serious wind tunnel testing at speeds exceeding what the car is expected to achieve to ensure owner safety.

I've experienced what you have in other cars and, initially, I was also somewhat skeptical. The bottom line is our departed '17 BS and new '22 BGTS are both rock solid stable at 150+...this includes one track day with seriously gusting 25+ mph cross winds and a small amount of precipitation. Given Porsche's reputation and the comments of other forum members over the past 3.5 years, I do not expect you to experience any negative non-driver induced stability issues with your new steed at any speed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
One of the reasons I'm doing a PEC day before delivery of my Boxster Base to explore the limits of the car in a controlled environment. I currently drive a 3 ton SUV and handling isn't something I every experience although I can drove through and over just about anything very fun indeed. Need a brain recalibration of everyday driving in the mountains for sure.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,105 Posts
Here's a really bad bit of video from when I was doing some microphone placement for a sound test. You can see the speed just over the wheel exceeding 110 mph at one point and you can follow along on the map on the PCM. I slowed down to about 77 or so when I was passing that pickup truck and started gearing down for a left-hand turn just after the film ends. I don't know if it will reassure you, but I've done that road, with its long curves, in excess of 120 mph a number of times.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So,
I’m not much of an expert (on anything lol), but I have a layman’s understanding of some motoring concepts and one that I am somewhat wondering about is this,

does the base 2.0L cayman have a design that makes it safe (enough) to drive at higher speeds?

say, 125-150mph on a decent ish long highway road?

In the 340i I had previously, that car did not feel safe at 125+, it became very soft and flighty like the suspension was made of marshmallow at the front end, like a good strong breeze would lift the car off the ground.

this car being so light especially at the front, just wondering what if anything is needed to keep the car planted. Does it have enough downforce for high speed driving or are people getting aero kits?

How is the stock suspension at those speeds?
What if anything is necessary to do to the car to keep it planted at the top end?
The Cayman has a 50/50 fore/aft weight distribution, it is not "light at the front".
Ceteris paribus, the car will be stable at the speed you mentioned. No need to add aero gubbins.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
IMO the base is a very stable car at high speed but you still need good driver involvement and ensure you finish all your braking in a straight line before turning the wheel or trying to trail brake. I think the lighter front end cars can be tricky to trail brake and easy to understeer through a corner where as front engined cars are a little more forgiving.

Once you get used to the car maybe invest in Ohlins RT supsension to improve low and high speed performance.

·
Registered
781 Posts
What you experienced with your 340i is called front end lift due to aerodynamic deficiencies. 340i is a sports sedan with a more blunt front end. The Cayman is a sports car with a very wedge shaped front end.

·
Registered
238 Posts
One of the reasons I'm doing a PEC day before delivery of my Boxster Base to explore the limits of the car in a controlled environment. I currently drive a 3 ton SUV and handling isn't something I every experience although I can drove through and over just about anything very fun indeed. Need a brain recalibration of everyday driving in the mountains for sure

while pec delivery and the driving is great fun and you will see some of the capabilities of the platform regarding handling curves, skidpad, etc you won’t experience much more than 70mph (at least currently at PECATL) due to the short and tight track. Nonetheless it will be an eye opener as you discover how balanced these cars are:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great replies all around and I appreciate all of them. Just wanted to state I’d never ever speed around other people, I have in the dead of night when there is not a soul around. I pick and choose my roads and I never approach or pass a car at more than a 10mph speed differential and usually half that.

I totally agree with you on safety.
There are some stretches of road around here which are divided highway newly built and when there is not a soul on them it does seem fairly safe to everyone else around.

still, I take your point and will look for a track that will allow me to push the car safely.

thank you for all the replies and video!
Haven’t had a chance to watch that yet but I will. It was too cold to drive today due to summer tires, but I tried Gran turismo 7 today on the PlayStation and it was so cool. The interior is perfectly rendered and the car dynamics are actually not half bad!

Obviously it is not exactly the same as the car in the game is a gts, I think, so the engine sound is a 6cyl, but it’s really amazing how perfect the car looks inside and out. I was even able to match the aventurine green paint and make the car look nearly identical inside and out.

i couldn’t believe it.
It really feels like you are in the cockpit of the car. That’s a good way to get my speed fix for now lol!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I had a 2.0 Cayman and have done 150 in it. Perfectly planted with no issues at all. The 2.0 is said to be good for at least 170 and Porsche always underestimate their figures. Just make sure you do your checks before doing such speeds, tyres, oil etc.

·
Registered
BGTS40
604 Posts
I tried the base model boxster back in august and did 230+ (~150mph) with open top(Ruins aero and ear) , with some mild bend in the highway. No issue at all. Not much worse than the GTS4 with SPASM.

BUT

Any BMW 340i should be more than capable of going 250 kph (Electronically limited) sustained in highway without ANY issue you mentioned. I believe you had tire or other issue.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts