Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Cayman Base | Jet Black Metallic | Sport Chrono | 20" Carrera S Wheels
265 Posts
I jump up to the low 100s on the way up the canyon into work each morning. This car feels settled when you’re cruising at 95 mph. Honestly, 100 mph in the 718 is the equivalent of 60 mph for other (non-performance) cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Know the car and know yourself. I have never taken my 718 Boxster Base 6M on the track, but I have taken Dodge Chargers in my past life, EVOC. What I asked my instructor “how do I know?” Simple answer at training was to push it past the limits, run into cones, run off the road, and spin out. I just found the car and my limit (at that point in time). Learn from it and back off until you stay on the course. I have played with my 718 in a parking lot with my own cones. Get permission first.
On a trip from Florida to Ohio I was traveling about 85 following with the traffic. Saw a Corvette C8 coming up behind me, so I decided to follow. Noticed another C8 now behind me. We are doing 100+/- for the next 30 minutes. The car handled great, down mountains, and around the curves. Same thing happened with 2 Mustang Cobra’s (dealer temp tags) later the trip.
Know your car and tires. Find a road course training class. Enjoy and be safe.

·
Registered
166 Posts
One of the reasons I'm doing a PEC day before delivery of my Boxster Base to explore the limits of the car in a controlled environment. I currently drive a 3 ton SUV and handling isn't something I every experience although I can drove through and over just about anything very fun indeed. Need a brain recalibration of everyday driving in the mountains for sure.
This is exactly what I did before buying my 2018 718B. After completing my session, I purchased my car and the next time I saw it was in my driveway.

Reactions: DM5PAV

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I tried the base model boxster back in august and did 230+ (~150mph) with open top(Ruins aero and ear) , with some mild bend in the highway. No issue at all. Not much worse than the GTS4 with SPASM.

BUT

Any BMW 340i should be more than capable of going 250 kph (Electronically limited) sustained in highway without ANY issue you mentioned. I believe you had tire or other issue.
i don’t think so.
Anything is possible, but I really don’t think so. I had had the car for just a month and it was brand new, just over 2k miles. Took it down a wide open highway here and it felt completely planted at 90, 100, 110… but hit 125+ and the suspension felt like marshmallow. It felt like the front end was floating, very much confidence destroying that it was safe at that speed.

I’m certain there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. I just recently traded it in and there was never anything wrong with it, a fine car… but it was not good at anything higher than 115 stock.

·
Registered
BGTS40
636 Posts
i don’t think so.
Anything is possible, but I really don’t think so. I had had the car for just a month and it was brand new, just over 2k miles. Took it down a wide open highway here and it felt completely planted at 90, 100, 110… but hit 125+ and the suspension felt like marshmallow. It felt like the front end was floating, very much confidence destroying that it was safe at that speed.

I’m certain there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. I just recently traded it in and there was never anything wrong with it, a fine car… but it was not good at anything higher than 115 stock.
Trust me, that car had issue .
I have experience with tons of cars , including BMWs with high speed/top speed driving and the are fine and actually designed to travel fast sustained in German Autobahn .
In case of vague feeling it is the tire , the pressure or alignment (or bushing/shock absorber if it's older)

340i is not the base series 3 and it's an easy task for it to do 250 km/h without a glitch (everybody does it as BAU here) Even a BMW 116i is capable to go it's top speed fine or a 20+ years old VW golf.

My daily beater is a Ford Focus 1.6 115PS from 2009 ,what can do 200 (by tacho) and I use it pedal to metal in the highway (and everywhere) all the time. Perfectly fine, of course it's condition is perfect.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So,
I’m not much of an expert (on anything lol), but I have a layman’s understanding of some motoring concepts and one that I am somewhat wondering about is this,

does the base 2.0L cayman have a design that makes it safe (enough) to drive at higher speeds?

say, 125-150mph on a decent ish long highway road?

In the 340i I had previously, that car did not feel safe at 125+, it became very soft and flighty like the suspension was made of marshmallow at the front end, like a good strong breeze would lift the car off the ground.

this car being so light especially at the front, just wondering what if anything is needed to keep the car planted. Does it have enough downforce for high speed driving or are people getting aero kits?

How is the stock suspension at those speeds?
What if anything is necessary to do to the car to keep it planted at the top end?
I use my 718 Cayman 2.0l for club events at many race tracks here in Australia. There are 2,500 club members in the state of Victoria here, the largest car club in Australia.
Many here may know of the GP circuit here, Phillip Island that features very high speed straights and high speed sweepers. My 718 Cayman is immensely stable and safe at max speed of
So,
I’m not much of an expert (on anything lol), but I have a layman’s understanding of some motoring concepts and one that I am somewhat wondering about is this,

does the base 2.0L cayman have a design that makes it safe (enough) to drive at higher speeds?

say, 125-150mph on a decent ish long highway road?

In the 340i I had previously, that car did not feel safe at 125+, it became very soft and flighty like the suspension was made of marshmallow at the front end, like a good strong breeze would lift the car off the ground.

this car being so light especially at the front, just wondering what if anything is needed to keep the car planted. Does it have enough downforce for high speed driving or are people getting aero kits?

How is the stock suspension at those speeds?
What if anything is necessary to do to the car to keep it planted at the top end?
Hi, I am in Australia with a 718 Cayman 2.0l that I use for track speed events here. Our GP circuit at Phillip Island features high speed straights and very high speed sweepers. Being on the coast, over looking the ocean, the track is affected by very strong winds. My top speed there is nearly 150mph and the car is stable and solid on the road at all times. I have also driven on no speed limit Autobahns in Germany where max is capable and there also immensely stable.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trust me, that car had issue .
I have experience with tons of cars , including BMWs with high speed/top speed driving and the are fine and actually designed to travel fast sustained in German Autobahn .
In case of vague feeling it is the tire , the pressure or alignment (or bushing/shock absorber if it's older)

340i is not the base series 3 and it's an easy task for it to do 250 km/h without a glitch (everybody does it as BAU here) Even a BMW 116i is capable to go it's top speed fine or a 20+ years old VW golf.

My daily beater is a Ford Focus 1.6 115PS from 2009 ,what can do 200 (by tacho) and I use it pedal to metal in the highway (and everywhere) all the time. Perfectly fine, of course it's condition is perfect.
Also having a wide range of experiences to call on, I'd like to reassure the OP that a 718 is in a different league to even recent 3 series at the 125+ speeds. 718 is rock solid. Good sports saloons are stable enough and shouldn't feel dangerous, but are not actively reassuring like e.g. a 718.

People have different perspectives on how suspension/body movement and weight transfer feels. To some people a Focus or better makes it into the "perfectly fine" category. For others that is somewhere above a 340i. But I am fairly confident that for everyone it includes a 718!!

·
Registered
BGTS40
636 Posts
Also having a wide range of experiences to call on, I'd like to reassure the OP that a 718 is in a different league to even recent 3 series at the 125+ speeds. 718 is rock solid. Good sports saloons are stable enough and shouldn't feel dangerous, but are not actively reassuring like e.g. a 718.

People have different perspectives on how suspension/body movement and weight transfer feels. To some people a Focus or better makes it into the "perfectly fine" category. For others that is somewhere above a 340i. But I am fairly confident that for everyone it includes a 718!!
True.

It's all about perspective. (But a 340i is good)

180 km/h in this box (down in highway) WAS NOT reassuring :D
Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Here's a really bad bit of video from when I was doing some microphone placement for a sound test. You can see the speed just over the wheel exceeding 110 mph at one point and you can follow along on the map on the PCM. I slowed down to about 77 or so when I was passing that pickup truck and started gearing down for a left-hand turn just after the film ends. I don't know if it will reassure you, but I've done that road, with its long curves, in excess of 120 mph a number of times.
It was a bit difficult to see, but the car did seem pretty stable. I didn’t notice any bobbing in the video at all. I got the 2.0l up to 120 a day or two ago myself and it was rock solid. There’s a very nice stretch of road not to far from here that is probably idk… half a mile long and completely empty by 9P, and it was as you all said, totally stable at that speed. It felt no different than say 90mph.

👍🏻

rock solid is correct. There was basically no difference in feel between 90 and 120.

awesome car!
And, I agree with all who say a 340i should be safe, and I’m sure it probably is, but it does feel differently at 125 than it did at 90, whereas the 718 to me felt exactly the same. There was no bob in the front at all.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
It was a bit difficult to see, but the car did seem pretty stable. I didn’t notice any bobbing in the video at all. I got the 2.0l up to 120 a day or two ago myself and it was rock solid. There’s a very nice stretch of road not to far from here that is probably idk… half a mile long and completely empty by 9P, and it was as you all said, totally stable at that speed. It felt no different than say 90mph.

👍🏻

rock solid is correct. There was basically no difference in feel between 90 and 120.

awesome car!
And, I agree with all who say a 340i should be safe, and I’m sure it probably is, but it does feel differently at 125 than it did at 90, whereas the 718 to me felt exactly the same. There was no bob in the front at all.
did it show bob and vagene?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts