Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2017 - 718 Boxster S and just noticed scuffs on both side of the convertible top.

The car has always parked under cover and gently hand-washed.

The scuffs are identical on both sides leading me to believe that it is a manufacturing defect; that is, the
scuffing is occurring as a result of opening and closing the convertible top.

Has anyone else with a 718 Boxster had this issue?

My car is still under warranty. I am hoping Porsche is going to replace the roof for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My 2005 987.1 Boxster S had exactly the same marks. I assume it is caused by the fabric folding. Porsche will say it is normal.

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
My 2017 has the marks, although yours are a lot longer and more prominent. I think (?) mine diminished a bit and stopped increasing after I re-waterproofed the top.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What water-proofing or fabric protection are people using on the roof to keep them in good condition for as long as possible?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've been using RaggTopp, which I think confers good protection, but it is a stone cold PITA to get it off the paint and glass. Does 303 over spray come off any easier?

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
Does 303 over spray come off any easier?
I can't say if it's any easier but it sure doesn't match my definition of easy at all. I actually spent the time to mask off the glass—which was a pain all by itself.
I recently read a recommendation to fill a container and use a short nap or foam paint roller to apply it. I may try that next time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for quick reply.
Thats really disappointing on a car like this. Mine is also 2017 and I have very similar marks. I am going to visit my dealer in the new year as I am also still covered by warranty.

I will let you know how I get on.

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
No sir! Unfortunately, they claim / hide behind 'normal wear and tear'. Pretty disappointing but ever since VW took over, its all about profit.
A quick check shows that the Porsche family owns the majority of voting stock in VAG although I doubt they are involved at a low level.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wonder if some sort of fabric treatment like with those handheld steamers might relax the fabric enough to snap back into shape?

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I bought my 2014 BS in 2017, it already had those marks, and they concerned me. The dealer said, "go out back and look at the other Boxsters on the lot; they all have that." And it was 90% true. It did not get worse over the three years I had that car. It's apparently scuffing from driving with the top down. I assume that area rubs on something when folded. I did not find that roof treatments helped, but they do tend to hide it.
My 2019 BGTS roof is still pristine. It only has 6000 miles on it, but I had hoped 718s had the issue resolved. Apparently not....

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster GTS
40 Posts
Just a thought, but the photos look like the top is not as taut on the frame as it could be. Are the marks scuffs or creases? I wonder if there's room for improvement to smooth the top by having service adjust the tension. ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Boxsir

Mine looks identical to JWs. Yes there are some creases that I would expect but there are also at least 3 district areas of 'abrasion' on each side of the rear sections of the roof.

I gave it a good clean today and used Chemical Guys Proofer, it may help a little but the marks are scuffs (looks like it has rubbed against the mechanism). I took a close up picture and the surface is definitely damaged (I may get an automotive upholster to take a look after I have spoken to the dealer as I doubt they will cover it under warranty.

The roof looks as taught as it should be but good point I will get the Porsche Centre to check..

Many thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts