Porsche 718 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,665 Posts
The boys in the barn. I sometimes wonder what they talk about.
I’m sure the Q3 tells the 718 all about going to Costco for huge packages of toilet paper and bottled water. 🙄

View attachment 47350
Too bad your stable is so cluttered........ Wow.... Impressive.... Maybe it's time for some hidden mics....

·
Registered
108 Posts
@Mayne Kuhuna, have you compared Polyaspartic vs. Epoxy for your application. I went with Polyaspartic for my concrete pad garage floor.
I ended up with the polyaspartic which I purchased from Powercoat in Alberta. Terry was very helpful for the installation. I’ve been holding back on pictures until the car is in it which should be this week. What a marathon wait.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Many many years ago I did a self-installed epoxy kit form the local big box home improvement store. It is definitely showing signs of age now and is looking sad. I have to decide now between a professionally done epoxy floor using either epoxy/Polyaspartic or hard surface flooring like the Race Deck or equivalent.

For those that have finished floors what pros/cons would you say come with the material you chose? Too rough, too smooth, can't use a jack or a lift, and etc.

·
Premium Member
2019 CGTS 6MT
66 Posts
Many many years ago I did a self-installed epoxy kit form the local big box home improvement store. It is definitely showing signs of age now and is looking sad. I have to decide now between a professionally done epoxy floor using either epoxy/Polyaspartic or hard surface flooring like the Race Deck or equivalent.

For those that have finished floors what pros/cons would you say come with the material you chose? Too rough, too smooth, can't use a jack or a lift, and etc.
My dad had an epoxy floor professionally installed at his last house. Within 2 years the spots where the tire rubber met the epoxy had pulled up - even though the installer said it wouldn't. He had them redo it about 4 times over the subsequent years, but it always pulled up. I don't know what type he used, but he ended up going with Racedeck at his new house.

·
Premium Member
2019 CGTS 6MT
66 Posts
I did race deck in a 1 and 3 car garage almost 20 years ago and each time I move, stack them up, move and put them down in new garages. Expensive (a bit more than painted garage floor), but last forever.
He said this is his last house so it was worth the extra expense for Racedeck. Although that’s what he said before paying the installer for the epoxy at the last house. So, I dunno…

·
Registered
108 Posts

It’s worth talking to Terry at Powercoat. They have some new products now for concrete floors. His company is one of the few companies that will sell the product to homeowners. It’s quite a bit more expensive then the big box products though. Time will tell if it holds out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Below, in no particular order, are some things you may wish to consider.
  • adequate overhead interior lighting to allow for detailing, working on your cars, and so forth
  • adequate exterior lighting for security and convenience
  • adequate power supply and more convenience outlets than you think you will need - we also wired some quads with each duplex within the box on a separate circuit
  • adequate storage - we were very limited in the overall garage depth we could go but were still able to add a 5'-0" deep storage room with a pocket door which keeps all the tools and stored items out of sight and away from the cars
  • adequate insulation for your climate including insulated garage and side entry doors - our garage is free standing
  • ceiling fan - there are times when the weather is nice and there is no need to run the AC but air circulation is nice (we wired for two but only installed one to date which is adequate)
  • ensure the slab can handle the addition of a lift in the future even if you do not think you will add one at this time
  • high lift garage door to allow for a car lift
  • wall mounted garage door opener to eliminate the motor over the car and increase clearance - we used the Liftmaster 8500W (with wi-fi, battery backup, and flush mounted lights where the motor would have been that operate with the doors and motion) - the 8500W also comes with a garage door deadbolt locking system
  • alarm system depending on local needs
  • adequate fire extinguishers placed appropriately, first aid kit, other safety items
  • keypad to open one of the garage doors - we mounted it adjacent to the side entry door
  • prewire for sound and any other electronics (you mentioned a TV)
  • electrical panel box in the garage for breakers that control everything in the garage and below grade electrical service to eliminate any wires above the garage/driveway (depends on your local situation, codes, etc. - we live in a historic district with utility poles and modified the service to the house as noted)
  • make sure you get approvals and inspections per local regulations
  • self-serving professional comment - use an architect even if you have the design in mind, especially if there are unusual conditions!
Good luck with your garage/man cave!
I've finished the garage and followed the advice of forum members. I used scissor trusses to get extra height and then to move all the storage clutter above 8 ft. I did use Polyaspartic flooring finish as I mentioned in an earlier post. Split duct heating for heat and AC. Water with floor drain. See attached pictures. Thanks all for your input on this project. Kept me occupied while waiting for the car.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Car Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,665 Posts
I've finished the garage and followed the advice of forum members. I used scissor trusses to get extra height and then to move all the storage clutter above 8 ft. I did use Polyaspartic flooring finish as I mentioned in an earlier post. Split duct heating for heat and AC. Water with floor drain. See attached pictures. Thanks all for your input on this project. Kept me occupied while waiting for the car. View attachment 48474 View attachment 48475
Fantastic job.... What a home for the new addition....

·
Premium Member
409 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Living in the UK we are tight for space. I’ve managed to build an Oak framed conservatory and garage on what was the old driveway. We use it all the time and managed to get a log burner fitted in the conservatory. Best money we’ve spent on the house. Got to just finish the garage floor.. View attachment 48490

View attachment 48488
View attachment 48489
Very nice! I love how Europe and the UK successfully use the mostly limited space they have available.
After a month long trip to the UK arriving home my house seemed too large and a lot of wasted space inside and out. I do not by any means have a large house by North American standards anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
After perusing through all of these spectacular garages I decided mine needed some work. Actually, I knew it needed work but all of your work inspired me to do something before the car gets here. I finally painted the cabinets I built 20 years ago, moved out the necessary "stuff", patched a hole that was hidden by a piece of plywood and ordered flooring. I also tore out my old work bench for more room, sold off my two stacking tool chests, and bought one much larger tool chest with a workbench top. I ordered 500 sq ft of SwissTrax RibTrax premium flooring in Pearl Grey and got to it.
Flooring Floor Interior design Wood Hall

Fixture Road surface Shade Interior design Door

Door Fixture Architecture Building Floor

Fixture Floor Door Flooring Composite material

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,665 Posts
After perusing through all of these spectacular garages I decided mine needed some work. Actually, I knew it needed work but all of your work inspired me to do something before the car gets here. I finally painted the cabinets I built 20 years ago, moved out the necessary "stuff", patched a hole that was hidden by a piece of plywood and ordered flooring. I also tore out my old work bench for more room, sold off my two stacking tool chests, and bought one much larger tool chest with a workbench top. I ordered 500 sq ft of SwissTrax RibTrax premium flooring in Pearl Grey and got to it.
View attachment 48514
View attachment 48519
View attachment 48517
View attachment 48515
You've got my approval in spades! Time well spent.... Job well done.... We expect photos of you and your cot in "waiting" mode next....:D

181 - 200 of 209 Posts