Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 61 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
A couple of photos of my new garage which will soon be finished, the only thing remaining is epoxy coating on the floor (dehumidifier is working on getting the humidity low enough to where the contractor will apply the epoxy).
First photo is taken from the door towards the garage door.

Second picture is a panorama photo taken from the corner showing the backside of the garage.

I am very pleased with the result.
The building interior is 8,5 meters wide and 8 meters deep, the garage door is 6 meters wide, and as you can see from the second photo there is a room in the back.
The back room (which is approximately 5 by 2 meters) is for storage of lawn tractor, snow blower and other machines which is currently filling up my "workshop" to a degree where I almost have to crawl over them to get from one side to another.
The backroom has its own small garage door on the back side of the building for easy access, but as the garage door needed more ceiling space than what was available in the small room I opted for a solution where the garage door goes through the top of the wall and into the main garage rather than taking more of my precious parking space to make the room large enough for the garage door.
The lights in the garage are all LED panels of 60x60cm which gives a very natural light, if feels more like skylights than artificial lightening.

When the garage is all done I will be moving my 718 Boxster into it and I will take delivery of my new 992 Carrera coupe which will sit besides the 718 in this garage.

Technically i now have 3 garages on my property, first is a small single car garage in the basement of my house, as the house was built in 1955 you can imagine that it is not that big, in fact a VW Golf Mk 2 barely fit in it, as this garage is more or less useless for modern cars I have converted it to a small workshop.
The second garage actually started its life as a two-car carport which was later closed and two garage doors was added, this is currently housing my 718 Boxster (still in winter hibernation) and my winter daily driver (Tesla Model 3). As it is a carport converted to garage it is not ideal, and when I ordered the 992 I knew I had to add another garage.
The third garage is the one depicted in the photos above, and it will house 2 cars, or 3 cars if I need, but that will require that I remove the car parked in the middle to get either the left or right car out.
The conclusion is that I now should be set for my future car parking needs ?

·
Registered
955 Posts
alf, your new garage is as big as the first floor of my house! Quite a bit neater too.

My garage is cluttered with a stack of summer wheels and tires, 13 or 14 vintage bicycles which will go unridden for months, a messy tool table full of the detritus of driving two British cars for 3 decads, sound reinforcement equipment which will not be used for a long time since we have canceled all our spring concerts, and some crates of household stuff and non-perishable food.

Oh, and some beer which will likely run out before this "thing" is over. Can I mention beer or is this a family-friendly forum??

·
Super Moderator
1,823 Posts
Beer is allowed. Encouraged, even. As long as it's after the drive! ;P

·
Registered
373 Posts
The conclusion is that I now should be set for my future car parking needs ?
The correct number of parking spaces to have is n+1.

While the minimum number of car parking spaces one should have is one, the correct number is n+1, where n is the current number of car parking spaces needed.

This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of cars owned that would result in separation from your partner.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
The correct number of parking spaces to have is n+1.

While the minimum number of car parking spaces one should have is one, the correct number is n+1, where n is the current number of car parking spaces needed.

This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of cars owned that would result in separation from your partner.
I should be well covered then, as depending on how I arrange cars I currently have n+2 or n+3 and soon will have n+1 or n+2 (when I take delivery of my 992) :ROFLMAO:
But who knows, maybe in a few years i will be at n-1 :unsure:

·
Registered
241 Posts
God, you lot on the other side of The Pond have some amazing garages.

As good as it gets for me. We have less space over here for ultra large houses and triple garages.

Outside on the drive

It is a snug fit but it works and with a big foam pad on the wall for the door there is no damage. I should have tried harder at school to have a bigger double garaged house ??

·
Registered
762 Posts
God, you lot on the other side of The Pond have some amazing garages.

As good as it gets for me. We have less space over here for ultra large houses and triple garages.

Outside on the drive

It is a snug fit but it works and with a big foam pad on the wall for the door there is no damage. I should have tried harder at school to have a bigger double garaged house ??
But where is the ceiling? I ask, because the ceiling in my condo's underground garage is not very high, and I'm jealous of those with the four-post lifts.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Had to pull out the 69 El Camino so you could see the 718 better!
Great looking stable! Somehow missed your picture, but glad I went back to reread the entire thread...thanks to all our "extra time."

Prior to the BS, the last sports car I owned was a silver grey metallic 69 SRL-311 with the Mikuni/Solex side draft kit. I helped the original owner (my father-in-law) replace the SU's with the Mikuni/Solex kit (including camshaft) in 1980, which gave it 150 hp to propel 2,100 lbs. The car collected leaves and rust for 2 years after my mother-in-law burned its third clutch...she was the principle driver for most of the car's 66K miles.

Spent 2 years on a frame off restoration in my home garage after stealing it from my wife's father for $500 in 1988. This was one of the most enjoyable and reliable cars I've ever owned and one I regret selling (1998) almost daily. Your Fairlady is no shrinking violet...thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I have already posted a couple of pictures of my new garage, which is scheduled to get the floor epoxy coated next week so it is still not in use.
Today I have a good reason to show a picture of my "old" garage taken after I got home with my new car this evening... I guess my Tesla will just have to sit outside until there is a vacant spot in the old garage when the two cars in this picture move to the new garage :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Nice collection! Poor Telsla outside in the cold. Have a favorite or each for their own purpose?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Nice collection! Poor Telsla outside in the cold. Have a favorite or each for their own purpose?
Thank you :)
The Tesla is obviously for practical purposes and winter driving.
Both 718 and 911 are for fun and games but the choice of which depends partly on the weather and partly on my mood.
But I guess the 911 will be preferred a bit while it is new ;)
The part of Denmark I live in is quite windy, so when there is a nice calm and sunny day a top down drive in the 718 would likely be preferred, and for the rest not so perfect days the 911 might be the pick.
But to be honest any one of them would have been quite adequate on its own, but since I am in the fortunate situation that I could afford both I though why not just have both :D

41 - 61 of 78 Posts