Porsche 718 Forum banner
141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks for the compliment! if you decide to go with RaceDeck i think you'll be happy you did as every time i open my garage all i do is smile :D if you go to Racedeck they do have a configurator that allows you to design your garage flooring. all you have to do is plug in the dimensions and from there you can select your tile and place them like so

than it automatically calculates how much it will cost as well as how many of each tiles you will need. there's quite a few designs you can choose and you can pretty much interchange any of them to work with each other. i went with the Free Flow design just because it works for my needs. so far i have not had any issues as far as clean ups or debris. very easy to clean with a shop vac or what i normally do a few times a year is just take a pressure washer and wash everything out. because it's a free flow design the water runs out of the garage.

if you plan on running cabinets or tool boxes be sure to actually run the tile underneath. looks more professional. don't cheap out and think i'll save a few here and there because you can't see them

and last thing is i highly recommend ordering the transition pieces.

anyways good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Nice look. I’m hoping to get this group to help me with my proposed garage. I have to wait till June till my Cayman S arrives. I can’t spend all my time on the configurator so I’ve decided to build it a home. My thoughts so far. It must have a drain for washing, it must be heated and air conditioned and it probably will have a tv (a bit of a man cave so I can invite friends over without having to consult my wife) What else should I be considering. Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
567 Posts
My thoughts so far. It must have a drain for washing, it must be heated and air conditioned and it probably will have a tv (a bit of a man cave so I can invite friends over without having to consult my wife) What else should I be considering. Thanks for your thoughts
Below, in no particular order, are some things you may wish to consider.
  • adequate overhead interior lighting to allow for detailing, working on your cars, and so forth
  • adequate exterior lighting for security and convenience
  • adequate power supply and more convenience outlets than you think you will need - we also wired some quads with each duplex within the box on a separate circuit
  • adequate storage - we were very limited in the overall garage depth we could go but were still able to add a 5'-0" deep storage room with a pocket door which keeps all the tools and stored items out of sight and away from the cars
  • adequate insulation for your climate including insulated garage and side entry doors - our garage is free standing
  • ceiling fan - there are times when the weather is nice and there is no need to run the AC but air circulation is nice (we wired for two but only installed one to date which is adequate)
  • ensure the slab can handle the addition of a lift in the future even if you do not think you will add one at this time
  • high lift garage door to allow for a car lift
  • wall mounted garage door opener to eliminate the motor over the car and increase clearance - we used the Liftmaster 8500W (with wi-fi, battery backup, and flush mounted lights where the motor would have been that operate with the doors and motion) - the 8500W also comes with a garage door deadbolt locking system
  • alarm system depending on local needs
  • adequate fire extinguishers placed appropriately, first aid kit, other safety items
  • keypad to open one of the garage doors - we mounted it adjacent to the side entry door
  • prewire for sound and any other electronics (you mentioned a TV)
  • electrical panel box in the garage for breakers that control everything in the garage and below grade electrical service to eliminate any wires above the garage/driveway (depends on your local situation, codes, etc. - we live in a historic district with utility poles and modified the service to the house as noted)
  • make sure you get approvals and inspections per local regulations
  • self-serving professional comment - use an architect even if you have the design in mind, especially if there are unusual conditions!
Good luck with your garage/man cave!

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,456 Posts
  • adequate overhead interior lighting to allow for detailing, working on your cars, and so forth
  • adequate power supply and more convenience outlets than you think you will need - we also wired some quads with each duplex within the box on a separate circuit
  • adequate storage - we were very limited in the overall garage depth we could go but were still able to add a 5'-0" deep storage room with a pocket door which keeps all the tools and stored items out of sight and away from the cars
  • adequate insulation for your climate including insulated garage and side entry doors - our garage is free standing
  • ceiling fan - there are times when the weather is nice and there is no need to run the AC but air circulation is nice (we wired for two but only installed one to date which is adequate)
  • ensure the slab can handle the addition of a lift in the future even if you do not think you will add one at this time
  • wall mounted garage door opener to eliminate the motor over the car and increase clearance - we used the Liftmaster 8500W (with wi-fi, battery backup, and flush mounted lights where the motor would have been that operate with the doors and motion) - the 8500W also comes with a garage door deadbolt locking system
  • adequate fire extinguishers placed appropriately, first aid kit, other safety items
  • keypad to open one of the garage doors - we mounted it adjacent to the side entry door
  • electrical panel box in the garage for breakers that control everything in the garage and below grade electrical service to eliminate any wires above the garage/driveway (depends on your local situation, codes, etc. - we live in a historic district with utility poles and modified the service to the house as noted)
  • self-serving professional comment - use an architect even if you have the design in mind, especially if there are unusual conditions!
Excellent review and recommendations. Thank you 🆒

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,700 Posts
I had a friend that lived in a neighborhood where you could only build a 2-space garage added on to your existing house. But you could build a garage with second floor. So he built a two-story garage with no floor on the second floor. Then he put in two parking lifts so now he has room for four cars in his two-car wide garage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for your detailed thoughts. The dimensions for this garage are 15 ft. wide by 21 ft deep. I think this will only hold a single car. How much ceiling height would be necessary for a lift. I imagine the overhead door would get in the way if I wanted to stack two cars. But even without this, a lift would still be very handy. Any suggestions here. For flooring I was thinking more of a epoxy type coating over the concrete slab. Don’t want it to be slippery though but I don’t want water to collect under a possible decorative tile solution that others have posted. I was thinking of a 60 Amp sub panel. Also considering windows, I guess an architect could help with this. I will have to hire an engineer as well for the slab over my dining room. It’s going to be a fun project

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,700 Posts
If you use one of those side opening garage door openers, then you will certainly free up room at the top for other things, and if the door only goes straight up, you would have plenty of room. Maybe some creative engineering for the roof rafters would give you more room. Or maybe fore and aft rafters with a structurally braced cutout for the top car. Or put your lift in a well in the center of the garage. Here's a tight fit.

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
374 Posts
I had a very productive Sunday! Always wanted to have a floor like this and finally bit the bullet. It was time consuming but overall very easy to install the RaceDeck tiles.

Need to still do a little cutting in a few areas but I’ll save that for another day.

View attachment 36691
\

Looks great, and looks like night blue too. Birds of a feather and all....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks great, and looks like night blue too. Birds of a feather and all....
The Racedeck tiles look great. I’m concerned that water would collect underneath as I want to be able to wash the car within the garage. Is this unrealistic or are others out there able to wash inside

·
Registered
932 Posts
The Racedeck tiles look great. I’m concerned that water would collect underneath as I want to be able to wash the car within the garage. Is this unrealistic or are others out there able to wash inside
These are the freeflow tiles which are designed to have water pass through and flow out. No issues at all washing the car in the garage, these are the perfect floor tiles for that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
These are the freeflow tiles which are designed to have water pass through and flow out. No issues at all washing the car in the garage, these are the perfect floor tiles for that.
I hope no issues with water residue condensating on windows and or mould. Maybe should install an exhaust fan???

By the way. I like the configuration of your car. That was how I had mine specked. At this point its Guards Red but that could still change back before lockin.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts