Porsche 718 Forum banner
161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,665 Posts
"Number 12.... number 12"..... All bundled up for a long Winters nap....

Soon.. Spring will be here in a few weeks. Time for the chrysalis to blossom into a beautiful butterfly. Can't wait....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Below, in no particular order, are some things you may wish to consider.
  • adequate overhead interior lighting to allow for detailing, working on your cars, and so forth
  • adequate exterior lighting for security and convenience
  • adequate power supply and more convenience outlets than you think you will need - we also wired some quads with each duplex within the box on a separate circuit
  • adequate storage - we were very limited in the overall garage depth we could go but were still able to add a 5'-0" deep storage room with a pocket door which keeps all the tools and stored items out of sight and away from the cars
  • adequate insulation for your climate including insulated garage and side entry doors - our garage is free standing
  • ceiling fan - there are times when the weather is nice and there is no need to run the AC but air circulation is nice (we wired for two but only installed one to date which is adequate)
  • ensure the slab can handle the addition of a lift in the future even if you do not think you will add one at this time
  • high lift garage door to allow for a car lift
  • wall mounted garage door opener to eliminate the motor over the car and increase clearance - we used the Liftmaster 8500W (with wi-fi, battery backup, and flush mounted lights where the motor would have been that operate with the doors and motion) - the 8500W also comes with a garage door deadbolt locking system
  • alarm system depending on local needs
  • adequate fire extinguishers placed appropriately, first aid kit, other safety items
  • keypad to open one of the garage doors - we mounted it adjacent to the side entry door
  • prewire for sound and any other electronics (you mentioned a TV)
  • electrical panel box in the garage for breakers that control everything in the garage and below grade electrical service to eliminate any wires above the garage/driveway (depends on your local situation, codes, etc. - we live in a historic district with utility poles and modified the service to the house as noted)
  • make sure you get approvals and inspections per local regulations
  • self-serving professional comment - use an architect even if you have the design in mind, especially if there are unusual conditions!
Good luck with your garage/man cave!
Have gotten my permits and engineering done now. My car delivery is now pushed back another 2 mnoths so this build will be a good distraction. I've taken your advice on most items, however I'm forced to make the floor from 2 lawyer of 3/4 in plywood. Seems that 20K pounds of concrete plus the car required too much structural adjustment. I was planning to waterproof this using epoxy coating on the plywood. Does anyone have experience with this. Eventually I plan on installing the self draining tile over this.

·
Registered
108 Posts
@Mayne Kuhuna, have you compared Polyaspartic vs. Epoxy for your application. I went with Polyaspartic for my concrete pad garage floor.
I think I'll go with the Polyaspartic from what I've been reading. The garage is mostly finished, just waiting for the engineering today. One unexpected delay is the 16 week wait for the garage door. I guess garage doors are like Porsches in that respect. The build on my car finishes on Friday so I hope to be able to introduce the Cayman to the garage around Aug 15

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
As a data point, I had OptiCoat Pro (ceramic) over PPF on my car when new, it’s been excellent. Car has about 40% PPF Coverage and it’s really hard to notice the difference between covered and not.

161 - 180 of 209 Posts