Porsche 718 Forum banner

561 - 580 of 603 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
It may not just be drunks. I have read that in simulator studies people tend to drive toward whatever they are looking at. The result is that they tend more often to hit the thing they were told to avoid. Just how pertinent this is to real-life driving I don't know.
Just to belabor the point a bit, all the high performance driving books (and instructors at the HPDEs I've attended) repeat the mantra "look where you want to go next" and emphasize the idea that when you start to, or lose, control to not look where you don't want to go, but to where you want to go. You will naturally turn the wheel in the correct direction to offset a slide, for instance. I always heard "turn into a slide" and I bet you did too, but this actually extends that advice. Also, on the track, looking further ahead than the immediate challenge allows you to set the car up for the next braking, cornering, turn in or exit out, etc. So I think it is apropos for everyday driving along with the dictum, "Eyes up!"

·
Super Moderator
711 Posts
Just to belabor the point a bit, all the high performance driving books (and instructors at the HPDEs I've attended) repeat the mantra "look where you want to go next" and emphasize the idea that when you start to, or lose, control to not look where you don't want to go, but to where you want to go.
Reminds me of a funny family story. We were skiing in France for a week, at Serre Chevalier, and, as always, we booked an instructor for some advanced intermediate instruction to improve our game.

He insisted, I mean INSISTED, that you should look not at the turn you were presently executing, but the NEXT, far enough.

Ze look down, ze fall down was the mantra.

While coaching my wife (Jennifer) he was shouting:

Head up Zenniffeeegh, look at the next town!

After a while I commented that looking at Briancon in the distance might be a bit too radical.

He looked at me incredulously and said, non, non, NON, the next town, when you town... (turn).

Ah, mais oui!...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Of course this has nothing to do with pictures but it's a good conversation anyway. Decades ago when I autocrossed aggressively it occurred to me that most people didn't look ahead properly, either on the street or when running the pylons. People generally look where they want to go next. To do it right you also need to aware of the direction you are going when you get there. Taking it a step further, you need to be conscious of which way the car will be pointing, which in spirited driving is not necessarily the same as the direction you will be going.

I still see this on the street. People make turns, especially left turns (in the US) away from stoplights, by driving straight toward the apex. The result is they arrive at the target road pointing on an angle to it instead of down the road. So the last 20 ft requires them to slow down and plow around the true corner.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wouldn't drive in Houston at night, even if my life depended on it. The don't see us during the day... at night, we are mere roadkill...:alien:
While visiting family a decade ago, training dictated several Bike Barn (Buffalo Bayou) night city rides after dark. Holy smokes...those were ridiculously scary torture fests. Kind of like being THE target in a Space Invaders game, while doing 100% efforts between every red light. Must have been totally nuts. Wouldn't do that again now for love or money.

·
Registered
359 Posts
561 - 580 of 603 Posts