Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did a lot of research and even drove both a base Cayman and a GTS 4.0 on the track at PEC Atlanta and I determined that the T was the car for me hands down. Love the engine, the styling and the value. It was also nice that the waiting list was reasonable as well so able to actually get an allocation. I have a Guards Red T coming early next year with full leather interior and Red T package.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did a lot of research and even drove both a base Cayman and a GTS 4.0 on the track at PEC Atlanta and I determined that the T was the car for me hands down. Love the engine, the styling and the value. It was also nice that the waiting list was reasonable as well so able to actually get an allocation. I have a Guards Red T coming early next year with full leather interior and Red T package.
Yes, it's the Miata Club of the the Porsche line in my opinion. Same motor as other Miatas but all the harder edged performance goods and interior. I just sold my favorite car in the whole world because I was always stressed about it being irreplaceable and it had become a garage queen. This time I wanted something special but that I could drive almost every day and the T has this perfect balance of performance focus yet everyday liveable. I no longer want a sunday only car like the GT4. The end of gas engines is upon us and these will be museum pieces before you realize so you should drive them into the ground while gas is still available and they are not banned from downtowns etc. I also forgot the most important lesson from when I first started driving. It is more fun to drive a "slow" car fast than a fast car slow. I put slow in quotes because the T is not actually slow. It would handily beat any Porsche of my youth in accelaration and let's not even go into handling and braking. Yes, the T is a delicious morsel that sadly doesn't appeal to the American market. It is really a european-focused spec where europeans get cloth seats and with $10 gallon gas and displacement taxes, a 2L car with amazing handling is the secret sauce. I do think once they discontinue the T and people stop comparing the price to the S, it will become a cult classic. Even Savagegeese review, the main gripe was price, otherwise it was an enthralling, connected and amazing driving experience according to them. So buy them up while you can, these will be cult classics in the near future in my humble opinion. Congrats on your order!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oddly enough (or more likely not) I've owned a number of Miatas and a BRZ before deciding to purchase the T. When moving from these platforms one can truly appreciate the engine and the chassis.
I agree with your comment regarding the Savagegeese review. The only complaint was price but I think they went about it wrong. I think that if you take the GTS 4.0 or S price and then subtract the fairly small decrease in performance versus the reduction in price, I think you are looking at great value for the T.
Same kind of thing happened with the SmokingTire Cayman T review. Matt kept saying the extra money should be spent on the S all while he and the other reviewer kept raving about how great the car was and how fast it was. I think some people just struggle to understand the reason for the T and how special the T really is. I don't however.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oddly enough (or more likely not) I've owned a number of Miatas and a BRZ before deciding to purchase the T. When moving from these platforms one can truly appreciate the engine and the chassis.
I agree with your comment regarding the Savagegeese review. The only complaint was price but I think they went about it wrong. I think that if you take the GTS 4.0 or S price and then subtract the fairly small decrease in performance versus the reduction in price, I think you are looking at great value for the T.
Same kind of thing happened with the SmokingTire Cayman T review. Matt kept saying the extra money should be spent on the S all while he and the other reviewer kept raving about how great the car was and how fast it was. I think some people just struggle to understand the reason for the T and how special the T really is. I don't however.
Yes, sadly Matt got it very wrong in my opinion. He kept saying it as low as $5K to spec an S, but when I try it, it comes out to $13K more to get the T goodies on the S and even then, you still don't get the GT4 shifter, cloth seats, black interior trim, titanium wheels and while the S does have less lag, it is still basically the same motor, doesn't sound any better. Savagegeese at least had one person that got it exactly. If you are a normal person, the T is an amazing car and getting an GTS or GT4, if you can get an allocation at MSRP is easily 20-40K more. Mark kept discussing affordability yet he talks like $30K is nothing....again that's if you can get one. It was ironic too because when that came out, my 19 year old son were looking at college tuition at a local state college and the difference between a T and GT4 is about 3 years of in-state tuition. I know many here are wealthy and don't care about that, but it goes at the point that Mark was making about affordability yet he treats $30K like nothing. Anyway, the cost issue is legitimate but mostly because people are bloating the Ts. This car is clearly about lightweight and focus, yet people are bloating them with weight adding options. Porsche goes to the trouble of putting door loops and making the infotainement optional. We can't remove it here, but we make it worse by adding Bose with heavier speakers, a subwoofer and extra amp. We add power folding mirrors, motorized 18way seats, heated steering wheels and myriad of other options that not only take the T into the stratosphere cost wise, but also go against the ethos of the car. I personally, love the T so much, that I purposely ommited Bose. Actually the only option I got was the larger tank for road trips, painted scoops because I don't like the cheap plastic look and shark blue. I didn't add the free cargo net nor free ash tray even. Just the bare minimum in terms of weight. Doing that makes the T a 71-74K car even with a custom color and is true to the formula.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Funny you mention options. When I spec'd mine, I had it loaded. It was bugging me (all the crap on steering wheel, too much interior electronics etc) and slowly slowly, the closer to lock date, I kept removing options ($$$ was not a consideration). I ended up with only Bose, black leather package, extended fuel tank, and keyless entry (all my cars are keyless so...). And BTW, I know everyone loves the pinstripes (I do too), but the rest of the family were on the fence, but even in the black leather option, the T is the only 718 with cloth (sporttek) seat centers. All others are leather or alcantara. So there's still a level of uniqueness w/o the stripes.

As an aside, I was actually shopping for a 2018 911 Carrera T. Same fuss on the internet about the smaller engine etc, but ZERO were for sale in my country, ZERO. Good luck finding one. It's not why I bought the T, but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the sleeper model that people look for in the future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am guilty of adding options such as Bose and full leather with the interior package in red but I figure a few pounds are not going to ruin the car. This will be my daily driver so some options just weren't optional in my mind. Perhaps down the road I can do some things to reduce the weight some. I plan to have this car for a long long time.
It will be interesting to see how the T holds value over the years. I can see it going either way to be honest. Moot for me since I plan to keep the car but still interesting to watch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Funny you mention options. When I spec'd mine, I had it loaded. It was bugging me (all the crap on steering wheel, too much interior electronics etc) and slowly slowly, the closer to lock date, I kept removing options ($$$ was not a consideration). I ended up with only Bose, black leather package, extended fuel tank, and keyless entry (all my cars are keyless so...). And BTW, I know everyone loves the pinstripes (I do too), but the rest of the family were on the fence, but even in the black leather option, the T is the only 718 with cloth (sporttek) seat centers. All others are leather or alcantara. So there's still a level of uniqueness w/o the stripes.

As an aside, I was actually shopping for a 2018 911 Carrera T. Same fuss on the internet about the smaller engine etc, but ZERO were for sale in my country, ZERO. Good luck finding one. It's not why I bought the T, but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the sleeper model that people look for in the future.
Yes, the stripes look nice, but for me they added some prettiness that felt like it took the edge away from the look. The al- black interior is actually less common these days, so I went for it as well. My family all voted for black when I polled them as well.

When I was a kid everyone work black soccer cleats, then in the 90s and 2000s everyone was clearing clown shoes with cleats on the bottom. It was as if someone gutted Nemo and made him a soccer shoe. Eventually every soccer shoe was a kaleidoscope of color, then Adidas released an all-black version of their classic Copa Mundial shoe. My son's teammate ordered a pair and standing on the pitch, everyone had these colorful soccer shoes except for him with the all-black Copas. That was what people noticed because it was now the standout shoe!

I also remember my son asking me why I keep buying black cleats and I explained to him: Son, if people are going to look at me, I want them to be impressed by my moves and my play not the brightness of my shoes."

I guarantee you that if the pinstripes were standard and you had a $3000 all black option, everyone would be asking for that one! : )

I'm just so happy to find others that get the T and appreciate it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am guilty of adding options such as Bose and full leather with the interior package in red but I figure a few pounds are not going to ruin the car. This will be my daily driver so some options just weren't optional in my mind. Perhaps down the road I can do some things to reduce the weight some. I plan to have this car for a long long time.
It will be interesting to see how the T holds value over the years. I can see it going either way to be honest. Moot for me since I plan to keep the car but still interesting to watch.
I love good music and it's an essential part of the experience for me so I get it. I guess my point was that normally I wouldn't blink at adding Bose. My BMW ZHP Sedan has Harmon Kardon and I love it and would definitely spend $1K or a bit more for it but with the formula with the T is about light weight so it was a thoughtful process were I adding the extra weight was now a consideration and frankly, I checked the box at one point when I thought it was only the slightly heavier speakers and a an extra speaker and subwoofer. The I realized there was an extra amp as well which seems to make the door pulls silly adding that much extra weight. So now the decision was this. If the Bose sounds amazing, the extra weight will be worth it to me. I posted on here, saw videos because I did not want to blindly go against what the T was about. Luckily 2 weeks before my freeze date, BMW San Diego got a base 2018 Cayman and I was able to compare both side by side. After listening to them side by side, I did not find sound was that much better to warrant the extra weight. I actually found the base radio brighter albeit a little boomy. The Bose was just muddled albeit tighter base. So the point is that any other car, I wouldn't hesitate to add it, but the sound was now compared against my perceived cost in adding weight. If sound is better for you then by all means get it, I just think that it shouldn't be done blindly in the T to keep as true to the formula as reasonably possible. I hope that makes sense and again, so happy to have another T Appreciator. We are the smallest variant in numbers. While the GT cars are truly special, there are probably 10 GT4s for every Cayman T.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me, an added benefit of the T was the ability to get the red deviated interior. It just added that extra bit of sportiness for me. But that is the beauty of these cars. In a world where most cars barely have just a few exterior colors as their only options we get to take a phenomenal chassis and engine and create the exact car we want. I see pics on here all the time of cars that I love almost as much as I love mine!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unfortunately, I broke what is probably the cardinal sin with the T. I got the premium package. After reviewing the sound systems on here and listening to the BOSE system I determined that I wanted it. And there were a few other options on the premium package that I wanted as well so ultimately it made sense to me.
However, if it helps at all, I did NOT get the PDK!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately, I broke what is probably the cardinal sin with the T. I got the premium package. After reviewing the sound systems on here and listening to the BOSE system I determined that I wanted it. And there were a few other options on the premium package that I wanted as well so ultimately it made sense to me.
However, if it helps at all, I did NOT get the PDK!
Man you scared with with your admission but thankfully you didn't commit the mortal T sin of Premium + Automatic! That would be an Express Ticket to Car **** where you would be eaten alive by gold Toyota Camrys with 80s gold badges and demons wearing matching Ferrari atire from their Ferrari Cap down to their Puma Ferrari shoes. : )

Glad you were able to save your soul plus the GT4 shifter and amazing clutch and gearbox are part of the secret sauce.

I checked with the local Padre and he says Four "Hail Marys" should clear up the premium package!

·
Registered
28 Posts
LOL. I will say my penance as its only the right thing to do. I think Janko would have been harder on me and rightly so.
Yes, there was no way I was getting a T without the manual and the sweet GT4 shifter.
Now if it will only hurry up and get here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
LOL. I will say my penance as its only the right thing to do. I think Janko would have been harder on me and rightly so.
Yes, there was no way I was getting a T without the manual and the sweet GT4 shifter.
Now if it will only hurry up and get here.
Yes, picking the T and in manual with the GT4 shifter is a win. I really like Janko a lot. I contacted him and asked about him selling the T. Said he wanted a convertible spyder but truly loves the T and says he misses it sometimes. Where are you located? The wait is brutal for me. I sold my 1M which I love and miss a bit so I feel like a naked Cowboy with no horse. One nice thing is that I'm in San Diego which is Porsche's west coast port so I would get it two hours before someone in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, picking the T and in manual with the GT4 shifter is a win. I really like Janko a lot. I contacted him and asked about him selling the T. Said he wanted a convertible spyder but truly loves the T and says he misses it sometimes. Where are you located? The wait is brutal for me. I sold my 1M which I love and miss a bit so I feel like a naked Cowboy with no horse. One nice thing is that I'm in San Diego which is Porsche's west coast port so I would get it two hours before someone in Los Angeles.
I am in Atlanta GA. I traded a BRZ tS back in August when I put my money down so I've been without a fun tossable toy for some months now. I know the wait will be worth it but now that I have the build all sorted, the days are taking longer to go by.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts