Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Interesting write up - I have (pre-emptively) bought a Numeric shifter and have a Raceseng knob (~ 400gm) for my future CGTS

some of the items that will be different between the OEM is the upper part of the shifter all plastic / nylon bushings in a plastic frame - which will have a different feel
-more flex and play and with time, more clearance with plastic parts wearing

I've had experience with aftermarket shifters in my other vehicles - and they're more 'mechanical' and effort is higher; but the payoff was the more precise, shorter throws and direct feel. There's more NVH that comes with it, but way more satisfying than the OEM units.
-occasionally I'll work on someone's vehicle that has OEM shifter and its a reminder of "oh, that's what it used to feel like".

Some shots of the OEM unit
Gas Auto part Machine Machine tool Engineering

Gas Composite material Wood Machine Hardwood

Numeric shifter (for comparison)
Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Machine

the working end:
Tool Gas Bicycle part Auto part Rim

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well now I do not know what I want to do! Have the OEM Short Shifter on the list of parts to get this winter. My GTS cost S (I love my options...) arrives in December.
the Boxter / Cayman T, Cayman GT4 and Spyder all use the shorter OEM shifter as standard equipment

you might run across someone that has one of those models that you could try it out to see what your impression is

·
Registered
936 Posts
Just checked. I don't recall that the earlier description said anything about being "spring loaded". The price is up $30 too.

Wonder if it's simple supply and demand or they raised the price because they added the spring?
I spotted that as well for the price increase on the OEM part

1 - 3 of 3 Posts