Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Excellent and helpful comparison writeup! I moved away from aftermarket "short shifters" fairly early in my driving life, as I started in 915 equipped 911's and on that platform the reduced throw and increased effort also masked the gear that was being selected. Wevo eventually changed my mind and experience there. I did find the stock shifter in the 997 GT3 to be just about ideal (the trans has something to do with this of course). For 986 and later cars I have always swapped in the factory 997 short shifter. My understanding is that the factory short shifter for the 718 is the stock shifter with a shorter shift knob level and no other changes like bushings. Interesting to see someone take on modifying the stock shifter to get the same effect. I'm with the OP - other than the height of the knob, the stock shifter is "A-OK" with me. I really don't want any more shift effort, so leaving things alone might be the path for now until I can get a chance to try the shorter option in another car.

Thanks for putting this comparison out there. Good payback for that "other thread" LOL

·
Registered
88 Posts
I considered the Numeric shifter, but instead went with the GT4 shifter in each of my cars and am totally happy with them. The shifter in the Boxster has an aftermarket Raceseng weighted shift knob and the 911 has what is basically an OEM CF shift knob but ordered from DFB Carbon with matching red stitching on the boot and red shift pattern and numerals on the CF knob. Both feel much better in terms of shifting action and height vs the original shift assemblies height.
There is confusion on my part which shifter this really is - I've read it is the same as the T shifter. What part number did you install?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts