Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a small encounter with a broken curb on the side of a parking space. Tree roots caused a cracked part of a concrete curb to project into a parking space. The concrete projection caught the bottom side of the front bumper almost punching a hole in it and distorting it so the factory yellow side marker lens at the top edge cracked. Estimates to restore, not including applying the paint protection film and ceramic coating vary from about $1,500 to $3,000, with the $3K being at a really high end body shop.

We took delivery exactly two years ago today and, from the factory, with a Feb, 2019 build date, it came with yellow side marker lights. All three shops just assumed I wanted to replace both side marker lights with clear lenses. Previously, I never gave a thought about the color of the lenses but all the attention they are getting got my attention. I just also noticed the picture of the car on the build sheet I ordered the car from has clear lenses. So now I am wondering is my yellow lensed car an anomaly?

So, what color lenses are supposed to come from the factory, yellow or clear? Did the lens color change to clear since the car was built? Also, why is the assumption I want clear instead of yellow lenses so universally automatic? My instinct is to stay with the factory configuration but I am getting vibes, including what I saw at the Pancakes & Porsche breakfast this morning, that clear lenses are much more common.

View attachment 30900 View attachment 30901
I replaced the amber lenses with white lenses however, when lights are on the reflection is amber. All is good and legal.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The USA requires tinted lenses, the rest of the world requires tinted light so they get clear lenses and yellow LEDs.
For me it would depend which went better with my car colour.
Our cars, well at least mine, has amber lights behind the marker lens. So when illuminated, they're amber.

Funny aside, I distinctly recall lens being spelled "lense". I must be living in an altered reality lol

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks all. Car is going in for repair Monday morning and, as a result of all the replies above, I went from "Don't even think about changing anything." when I got the estimate to "Please replace both with the Porsche part having a clear lens.".

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
548 Posts
For sudden (but not emergency) braking I'll sometimes tap-tap-tap my brakes to draw attention to it. I guess that's an old school brake flash method.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
We have a toyota dealer here in town that installs on all cars coming into inventory a Pulsing brake light module. No option to opt out, they just have the addendum sticker next to the window sticker with a $350 upcharge for the option. It's a money making gig for them as I'm sure the module costs less than $100 and maybe $50 for labor since it's a plug and play and they only install it on the third brake light.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You do know that quickly flashing or pulsing lights can cause a person with epilepsy to have a seizure.....
My wife had epilepsy and had this happen to her a few times.
So not such a great idea.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You do know that quickly flashing or pulsing lights can cause a person with epilepsy to have a seizure.....
My wife had epilepsy and had this happen to her a few times.
So not such a great idea.
Correct indeed strobes can cause seizures, but it has to be on a high enough frequency otherwise seizures are not triggered. This phenomenon has been studied extensively (mainly because emergency vehicles started using strobe lights).

You don't want to have your local LEO rushing to the donut shop, leaving behind a path of people writhing with seizures...o_O:eek:

·
Registered
2021 Porsche Cayman GT4
27 Posts
Not to change the subject, but tangentially relevant I think. I've seen videos of 718s braking and occasionally the brake lights seem to pulse rapidly before turning on constant. My recollection is that the images came from non-U.S. cars. Now, it could have been my computer screen or image quality issues that resulted in the flicker of brake lights but wondering if that is real, a mod, an artifact of my imagination, and/or what I see after cocktail hour:unsure:
I recently took delivery of my new GT4 and noticed the brake lights flashing when I recorded a video of the car being backed out of the trailer.

·
Registered
718 CB / GT silver - 2019 vintage
36 Posts
Thanks all. Car is going in for repair Monday morning and, as a result of all the replies above, I went from "Don't even think about changing anything." when I got the estimate to "Please replace both with the Porsche part having a clear lens.".
Best of luck with the service; looking forward to seeing the finished product in its restored glory!

Reactions: Barryng

·
Registered
244 Posts
I fitted one of these to all my vehicles

when fitted it causes the 3rd brake light to strobe with 3 rapid pulses then 3 slow long pulses then permanently on when the brakes are applied.
It takes minutes to fit and the safety benefits are immeasurable.
Anything that stops me being rear ended by inattentive drivers is a must especially as a Porsche stops much quicker than most other cars on the road.
cheers

21 - 35 of 35 Posts