Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve driven a few 718’s with launch control, my own doesn’t have Chrono.. I was wondering if anyone has simulated it by putting car in neutral (pull back on both paddles), Rev to ~6000 RPM and then pull a paddle!!

Will that give the same affect? Will it damage the clutch? Has anyone tried it? :D

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I’ve driven a few 718’s with launch control, my own doesn’t have Chrono.. I was wondering if anyone has simulated it by putting car in neutral (pull back on both paddles), Rev to ~6000 RPM and then pull a paddle!!

Will that give the same affect? Will it damage the clutch? Has anyone tried it? :D
My friend, why on earth would you want to do that. I have launch control and never use it......if you want a thrill try a roll a coaster much easier on your Porsche.......

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts

Haven't tried it, don't intend to try it.

I've been driving manuals for more than 50 years and never been tempted to drop the clutch at 6000 rpm. Remember the PDK is a clutch transmission, and burning clutches can be expensive.

·
892 Posts
I have launch control and never use it.......
Same here, tried it a couple of times out of a mild curiosity on my old 981 & it confirmed exactly what I'd suspected, that it's just a gimmick & of no real value. Even then the car was over 3 years old before I eventually got around to it. As for my 718, I've not tried it & I very much doubt I ever will.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It can be done. I've done it! But definitely not the way you're suggesting... Take traction control off, you can either have the car in manual or auto mode (auto mode works just fine), foot firmly on the brake, FLOOR the throttle (make sure the throttle is floored), the car will stop at a specific rpm (dependant on which model you have), the car will not redline (the rpm needle will stay at 3 or 4k rpm while you're floored), then quickly release the brake. Bam! You have launch! The trick is it NOT ease on the gas, make sure you floor it when I mentioned to floor it above. Enjoy!

·
892 Posts
It can be done. I've done it! But definitely not the way you're suggesting... Take traction control off, you can either have the car in manual or auto mode (auto mode works just fine), foot firmly on the brake, FLOOR the throttle (make sure the throttle is floored), the car will stop at a specific rpm (dependant on which model you have), the car will not redline (the rpm needle will stay at 3 or 4k rpm while you're floored), then quickly release the brake. Bam! You have launch! The trick is it NOT ease on the gas, make sure you floor it when I mentioned to floor it above. Enjoy!
That was probably just you moving a car out of the showroom. In fairness you'd certainly get it out much quicker! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That sounds like the official way for launch control with Chrono and Sports+ mode enabled!? - So your saying the brakes hold the car with full throttle without Chrono and Sports+ enabled in the same way too!?

P.s. I used it several times during the PEC day on the straights at Silverstone with their cars, I wanted to simulate for SWMBO to experience the effect.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes, they work very similarly. The difference is the rpm's on a Sport Chrono car hold much higher (closer to 6k depending on the car), and the non Chrono car holding around 3k. Plus, releasing the brake when the non Chrono car is at 3k doesn't give you the same harsh clutch drop as it does in the Chrono car, but not too far off. You'll like it... I did =) If it were a car I were selling to one of the guys here, I'd like it even more =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts