Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn’t necessarily a problem but my 718 GTS skids a little on hard stops.
Obviously a really hard stop will always skid a bit, but this is happening more so than it ever did on my old much less performance oriented BMWs.

I’m thinking one of 4 things.
1. completely normal and I’m crazy
2. Mid engine design has less weight on front tires for stopping? maybe?
3. ABS isn’t working perfectly
4. The tires just aren’t that good as they’re the Goodyear Eagles. Would have much preferred Michys...

thoughts comments concerns similar experiences? Anyone care to just engage me with conversation on the topic?

·
Registered
307 Posts
If ABS is working properly, there should be minimal skidding (split second or so would be normal). I'd say see if you can find a safe place to test it (going in a straight line, mash on the brakes as hard as you can). Otherwise, dealer visit sounds in order.

If it is working properly, I'd attribute it to the tires, or hitting the brakes too quickly and upsetting the balance of the car. Ideally, "squeezing" onto the brake pedal in fast and firm motion yields best braking performance (as opposed to jabbing it). Either that, or you're crazy :).

Doesn't help you at all, but with my Pilot Sport 4S tires, it can stop VERY quickly without losing traction

·
Registered
781 Posts
This isn’t necessarily a problem but my 718 GTS skids a little on hard stops.
Obviously a really hard stop will always skid a bit, but this is happening more so than it ever did on my old much less performance oriented BMWs.

I’m thinking one of 4 things.
1. completely normal and I’m crazy
2. Mid engine design has less weight on front tires for stopping? maybe?
3. ABS isn’t working perfectly
4. The tires just aren’t that good as they’re the Goodyear Eagles. Would have much preferred Michys...

thoughts comments concerns similar experiences? Anyone care to just engage me with conversation on the topic?
I have noticed something like this also at times. Very sporadic and only when I need to hit them hard. It feels like the tires aren't warmed up enough for optimal traction yet it seems the ABS doesn't kick in when this happens.
BTW, this is with the Michelins.
FWIW

·
Registered
421 Posts
I sensed a similar (perhaps same) issue six months after purchasing a two year old, low mileage (1,075 miles) CPO. The first occurrence was during a PCA drive when I jabbed the brakes harder than I had before...but not (IMHO) anywhere near hard enough that ABS should have been activated. My seat of the pants impression was the right front, then (microseconds later) the left front, locked up briefly...before ABS kicked in to work as it should.

The issue reoccurred in exactly the same sequence (right front first...then left front) two or three more times in the next six months. Even though the issue was unsettling and could be induced it at will, I never felt it presented any real danger during normal (not high spirited) operation.

An upcoming HPDE made this a greater concern. So, I mentioned this at the annual service (~2,000 miles), which also included a brake fluid flush and replacement with Motul 600 for the HPDE. When I picked the car up, the tech stated the brakes were working properly and he was unable to detect or recreate the issue after the fluid change. Skeptical, I left with the car and attempted to replicate the issue, but fortunately could not. The brakes have been working perfectly since the brake fluid change four months ago.

Perhaps a visit to your dealer is in order. Regardless, the best of luck in correcting your car's problem!

Edit: Michelin PS4S tires

Reactions: grasmere

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have had ABS since 1988. On a handful of occasions over those 32 years I have had reason to panic brake. The first event is seared in to my memory. A car appeared directly in front of me from a blind side street. Instinct had me standing on the brake pedal but I clearly remember being able to easily steer around his stern and having complete control of the car (albeit with the expected noise and hard vibrations/banging/pulsing in the brake pedal). If the ABS is properly working, the wheels should never stop turning; at least this is how it is decribed. Neither ABS or Dynamic Stability Control can violate the laws of physics (per BMW in 2002) so unless the car is already going too fast for a turn or road surface conditions would cause a skid anyway, I cannot see how you could skid. If the car is turning, then the forces associated with the turn could very well cause the car to skid just as they could when going too fast on any turn. My understanding, opinion, and very limited experience with how ABS does its thing, is there should be no skidding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This happened to me in my GTS last weekend. I was following an M3 that stopped abruptly in front of me at a turn. I braked hard to also stop and make the turn. My brakes locked and my car skidded a few feet as I came to a stop pretty quickly and well short of the M3. It surprised me a bit as I was not expecting the lock up and skid.

I will check my GoPro. I may have been recording and I might have video.

Edit: Unfortunately, I didn’t get it on video.

·
Super Moderator
1,384 Posts
The minimum stopping distance is always with the wheels skidding a bit—10-20% IIRC. Maybe this is what you are noticing. Anything more than that indicates either a need for a shop visit or a small section of sand, oil, or ... on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts