21 - 41 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Seems better today.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok, again today. Was relatively ok earlier in the day. Then an hour or two back I got a "maintenance" message. Right now, three or four pages in the row, took (and I actually measured this) over 20 seconds each to connect. Again, i'm talking about the time from when I click on the link and until it connects and starts loading the new page. The new page itself loads just about instantly, that is, as it should, but the connection time to it, is very very slow. I'm not a network engineer, so I don't know if it's a host resolve issue or a server caching issue, but something is definitely happening. And when it's not as slooooooooooooow as it is today, it is still often slooooow (just not 20 seconds slow). Doing this on a Windows 10, latest Chrome browser, hard-wired connection.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It is a bit slow for me, but no worries, I just set my snooze alarm on my phone when I log in or try to access a thread :LOL:. Windows 10, hardwired, Chrome and an otherwise fast internet connection.

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
If the servers are in Canada, or somewhere up North, we will be getting slowdowns in the transmission of the data.
Ι meant to say that with the weather we are having today, if the servers are in Canada, or somewhere up North,
we will be getting slowdowns in the transmission of the data.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Speaking of hacking, I am now getting a persistent popup asking me if, no, make that telling me that I want to Enable Push Notifications. I keep clicking Not Now but then I get the popup again. My life is not so dependent on 718Forum that I need to be informed of new activity as soon as it occurs. I might be doing something important. Or maybe I just don't like interruptions. This is mere recreation, at least for me. Unfortunately that popup blocks part of my screen. On my smarffone there isn't all that much screen space to begin with. Alas, there is no Do Not Ask Again option. It keeps asking, I keep saying Not Now, it keeps asking.

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
I did it a few days ago, doesn't it have an option to say no?

I went a different route, here is what I did:

a) Said yes.

a1) (Optional) I tried it for a while, to see whether it would help with my moderator duties. Found it too intrusive...

b) Went to browser settings (in my case Chrome)

c) Found Settings>Advanced Settings>Site Settings>All Sites> View permissions and data stored across sites

d) Selected 718Forum and reset permissions

d1) For a more precise removal of only notification permissions, instead of drilling through All Sites, you go down the list, find Notifications>718 Forum and block them.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I did it a few days ago, doesn't it have an option to say no?

a) Said yes.
b) Went to browser settings (in my case Chrome)
No, it does not have an option to say No. That was my point. The only choices are Yes and Not Now. I can say Not Now but I cannot say No so it keeps asking.

I am not sure what form a Push Notification would take, whether it is the same as a notification on my phone. AFAIK I don't have anything like that enabled on my computer(s) and would prefer not to have anythng pushed to me that I have to filter out on the receiving end.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Account Settings > Preferences > Push Notifications <<<< disable there. done.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Account Settings > Preferences > Push Notifications <<<< disable there. done.
Am looking at it. There is no Disable button, only an Enable button. Are you saying I neeed to enable it so that it will know I know that such things exist, then I have to disble it to make it stop? And if I disable it will it then start asking me again?

I should not have to say Yes and the go to Preferences to turn it off. And then, that entry on the Preferences page says it applies only to that device. I'd have to do this for each of the three (or more) devices I use to read 718Forum. A simple No or Do Not Ask Again button would be so much simpler.

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
I should not have to say Yes and the go to Preferences to turn it off. And then, that entry on the Preferences page says it applies only to that device. I'd have to do this for each of the three (or more) devices I use to read 718Forum. A simple No or Do Not Ask Again button would be so much simpler.
To paraphrase President Kennedy:

We don't do things because they are simple. We do them to be hard!:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Am looking at it. There is no Disable button, only an Enable button. Are you saying I neeed to enable it so that it will know I know that such things exist, then I have to disble it to make it stop? And if I disable it will it then start asking me again?

Mine says: "Disable push notifications". You may have to enable them first. I don't think this works on iOS, I believe this is for desktop browsers like Chrome.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No problems with push notifications; working as expected for me.

Regarding site slowness, it's still there (not the 20+sec delays) but still a noticeable delay when compared to basically any other site, especially, any other forum site. Just did some tests, and it still takes roughly 5-6 seconds between clicking a link, and the time that the site actually "responds" and begins to load content. Content itself loads as quickly as expected.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Please let me know if you continue to have issues with the push notification popup.
It appears now that it may ask if I want push notifications, but if I say no it does not keep asking, at least for that login session.
That's a good solution. I don't recall seeing a "don't ask again" option because I wasn't expecting anything different so I didn't look carefully.

Thank you.

21 - 41 of 60 Posts