Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
As for Porsche's own results: Never, never, ever trust measured metrics from a car manufacturer. C'mon: You know this. The number often has as much to do with marketing and make/model positioning than actual performance capability.
They're usually optimistic in my experience. The R&T link doesn't work over here but Autocar - who do in-depth tests of cars - have tested all versions of the 718 and found the 0-60mph times were 5.4, 4.8 and 4.8 - for manual versions of the 718, 718S and 718GTS. The PDK will knock a couple of tenths off that but the base 718 is a long way from 4 seconds. One thing is that these cars were all relatively new, so they might get faster as they loosen up, but I suspect that the cars are mainly limited by how much power they can put down on the road through 2 lightly-loaded wheels. Even a Nissan GTR (with 560bhp, 470 lbft torque and 4WD) only manages 3.5 seconds.

·
Registered
388 Posts
So, TEST DRyVer, I will soon have the base Cayman but with Sports Chrono and a clutch. Would the process be: Put in Sport, clutch, floor the accelerator pedal and let it go to whatever RPM, and slip the clutch a little on launch?

Not that I would do such a thing, but you know inquiring minds!
=) of course you're not going to do this, but IF you were to do something as crazy as launch your near perfectly balanced sports car that happens to have a manual transmission and Sport Chrono, here's the sequence:

1- turn off PSM (traction control)
2- place the car in either sport or sport plus (I can't confirm, but I believe sport plus will hold a slightly higher RPM. Don't quote me on that as it's been a while since launching a manual Sport Chrono), both will work
3- make sure you're not on a hill, if the car can roll forward or back, your semi-launch control will not work
4- place the car in first gear, foot on the clutch of course, then mash the throttle in one quick motion ALL the way to the floor
5- in about 2 seconds after flooring the throttle, the car has now had the ability to build turbo boost
6- easy off the clutch fairly quickly, but don't drop the clutch. Dropping the clutch will caused the car to bog down, at least in the 2.0 litre models (it seems that dropping the clutch in a car with 2 turbos and a flat 6 like the Carrera doesn't cause the same bog)
7- then practice a few more times...
The clutch can take it. I wouldn't recommend launching the manual 718's more than 5 or 6 times back to back. You can launch 4 or 5 times to practice, then come back and do it again later that day or the following day. Too many launches back to back in these cars creates a lot of heat, then the clutch will slip and you will smell it.
The practice is needed because there's a high probability you will bog the first few times, then on your 3rd or 4th time you'll be burning clutch, but not moving very quickly.
When you finally find the sweet spot and get the balance down, it's quicker than you think, and it's absolutely quicker than Porsche's advertised 0-60 times. You'll need to find an article in a magazine to get the real times. By the way, the Sport Chrono car is noticeably quicker than my non Sport Chrono car. And I'm not just talking about the launch. A manual 718 base Cayman feels noticeably quicker overall with a Sport Chrono. I don't want to believe this, but after driving one, right after driving my car, made me realize there's a box I should of ticked on my build, but didn't... Have fun! >:D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, launch control as described is a PDK thing. Without PDK then yes, you'd do that, but you're not really getting any help from the computer. So don't floor it, just launch it like you would any manual car.
Hey Jaki! No, it works on a manual too, it's just more difficult because you have to modulate the clutch and potential tire spin. When you get the balance right, it's definitely quicker than launching the way you would any manual car. What makes it quicker is the car will hold at a certain RPM when it's floored, which allows you to launch at boost. Launching with boost will gain you a quicker time, same as an auto or PDK car that's turbocharged, only difference of course is the clutch modulation in the manual car...

·
Registered
388 Posts
They're usually optimistic in my experience. The R&T link doesn't work over here but Autocar - who do in-depth tests of cars - have tested all versions of the 718 and found the 0-60mph times were 5.4, 4.8 and 4.8 - for manual versions of the 718, 718S and 718GTS. The PDK will knock a couple of tenths off that but the base 718 is a long way from 4 seconds. One thing is that these cars were all relatively new, so they might get faster as they loosen up, but I suspect that the cars are mainly limited by how much power they can put down on the road through 2 lightly-loaded wheels. Even a Nissan GTR (with 560bhp, 470 lbft torque and 4WD) only manages 3.5 seconds.
I'm going to assume that Autocar is testing these cars at altitude, because the numbers you shot off would be argued by numerous publications. I'm not just taking about the Porsche numbers, even the GTR numbers are off. Most American publications rate the GTR at below 3 seconds to 60 From a dead stop, and almost every American publication rates the 718 GTS numbers in the mid 3 second range with PDK.
For those that might not know, the reason why Porsche's advertises 0-60 times from the manufacturer so conservatively, is because they rate their 0-60 times based on an average. Porsche will test and launch ALL of their cars at different altitudes, and most times in different countries with humidity and desert dry climate. They average their top and bottom numbers. So if their worst times in the Alps were 5.5 seconds, and their best times on the coast of Spain (sea level) were 4.5 seconds, Porsche will advertise the car to do 0-60 in 5 seconds because that's the midpoint average...

·
Registered
418 Posts
=) A manual 718 base Cayman feels noticeably quicker overall with a Sport Chrono. I don't want to believe this, but after driving one, right after driving my car, made me realize there's a box I should of ticked on my build, but didn't... Have fun! >:D
Thanks TEST DRyVer! Just one more thing to file in my Porsche Stuff folder for some day after I break it in.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm going to assume that Autocar is testing these cars at altitude, because the numbers you shot off would be argued by numerous publications.
Not by any I've read - and the tests aren't conducted at high altitude. This is taken from Autocar:

"American magazines have a habit of producing unusually rapid figures on cars, always have done, always will do. Call it the unfair advantage, call it what you will, but for a long time it’s been an unwritten rule of road testing that the US mags tend to record faster times on their cars than everyone else.

Maybe their test gear is calibrated differently to everyone else's, Maybe the average American road tester is forced to eat nothing but lettuce for the three months leading up to a figuring session if the editor knows they are in the chair to extract the numbers from the next big thing. Perhaps time simply passes that little bit more quickly in the land of the free. Or maybe they use 106 octane fuel."

Their performance figures are taken with 2 occupants and half a tank of fuel. If you conduct the tests with only the driver, minimal fuel, and only going in one direction on a track (preferably downhill with the wind) and the hottest fuel you can get you will improve the times. And if you put on sticky tyres and do the test on a grippy track it could get better too. But the Autocar tests are always carried out on standard cars in, as far as possible, the same conditions and are averaged over several runs (in each direction).

In any case the figure of 5.4 seconds (0-60mph) is pretty impressive for a 300bhp car and I'm sure the OP wasn't complaining about the exact performance - just a hesitation on take-off. That's probably due to the PDK not having yet engaged gear. And acceleration figures are a pretty poor way of measuring a car's performance.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
If you're implying that C&D (Car & Driver) -- NOT R&T (Road & Track) -- doesn't do 'in-depth tests of cars', please stop smoking whatever you're smoking regularly. Car & Driver has been doing this far, far, far longer than any auto mag across the pond. Example: C&D has also tested every single version of the 718 -- PDK and manual. I've read Autocar and studied its testing methodology -- and I've read that Autocar 'statement of intent' you quote above, which is full of BS and contains exactly zero factual conjecture. It's salesmanship: basically, 'Read us because we test cars with two people in them instead of one!' Please. How is that scientific?

It doesn't come close to C&D. No UK auto mag does.

Sir, I worked in journalism for close to 20 years. I also understand scientific theory, among many other topics -- I studied both engineering and architecture for a time in college, for instance. The reason I only pay attention to C&D's test results is because of three overarching facts: It's scientific approach to it, its consistency doing it (that methodology has not changed since the late 1970s), and its policy of hiring writers and drivers who have extensive resumes either in motorsport, engineering, or (and usually) both. I'm sorry the link that I supplied doesn't work, but that doesn't give you an excuse to discount it at will.

I'm also sorry to be blunt -- particularly as a Moderator -- but your approach to participation on this forum is starting to rub many regulars raw. It's fine to be contrarian and encourage debate; I think most of us welcome that. It's a completely different thing to be disrespectful and dismissive while taking that tact. Please be more thoughtful of how you phrase your arguments. Thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are many factors that affect 0 to 60 times...different sources may test the same vehicle and arrive at much different 0 to 60 and quarter mile times...I've seen base 718's with manual transmission as high as 4.4 and 718 S with PDK as low as 3.6...the only thing I agree upon is that 0 to 60 times are just one resource in judging a cars overall performance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm also sorry to be blunt -- particularly as a Moderator -- but your approach to participation on this forum is starting to rub many regulars raw. It's fine to be contrarian and encourage debate; I think most of us welcome that. It's a completely different thing to be disrespectful and dismissive while taking that tact. Please be more thoughtful of how you phrase your arguments. Thank you.
Er, I don't think I've been "disrespectful" to anyone and I haven't broken any forum rules. And I haven't "dismissed" your link - it just doesn't work over here. What I'm saying is that when Porsche says a car does 0-60mph in 5.1 seconds and a highly respected UK magazine says it does it in 5.4 seconds, I'm inclined to believe them rather than your claim of 4 seconds - which is supercar territory when the Cayman is competing more with a VW Golf R. Call me picky. And I don't care how long you've worked in journalism or whatever. It's always a bad idea to try to claim superiority rather than letting your words persuade people (or not).

As for "rubbing many regulars raw" I don't believe that for a second. Basically, "Viffermike" you don't like people disagreeing with you, which has been obvious to me for some time. But that's part and parcel of what happens on forums - it's called discussion. You should try to argue your case a bit better instead of using your position as moderator to silence different opinions.

But who cares. I'm not interested in posting on a forum with an abusive moderator so I won't be wasting any more time on here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As for "rubbing many regulars raw" I don't believe that for a second. Basically, "Viffermike" you don't like people disagreeing with you, which has been obvious to me for some time. But that's part and parcel of what happens on forums - it's called discussion. You should try to argue your case a bit better instead of using your position as moderator to silence different opinions.

But who cares. I'm not interested in posting on a forum with an abusive moderator so I won't be wasting any more time on here.
Oh dear, a clear case of;

Followed by;

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
@Grasshopper : The above is your perogative. The bottom line is to encourage civility and collegiality on this forum.

I'll leave my response at that, and allow both your and my posts, as well as my moderation, to speak for themselves.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Multiple European magazine tests (Auto.it, Autozeitung) have the 718 S PDK at 3.8 seconds 0-100kph. Auto.it also timed the 718 S at a 21.9 second standing kilometer, matching the Lamborghini Gallardo. Autozeitung also got a 13.5 second 0-200kph, just ahead of a Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale. So, C&D's 3.6 0-60mph is in fact consistent with other best times at other distances. Citing examples from the Fastestlaps.com database. The new generation small turbo engines and dual-clutch transmissions (not just Porsche) require some recalibration of one's concepts of supercar speed....

Questioning the raw data and irrational scorn are classic symptoms of disruptive change in technology. Which 9A2B4 is, in my view.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is an easy workaround to read the C&D articles here in the EU - the Google Cache.

Google "caranddriver + article link" (i.e.: 2017-porsche-718-boxster-pdk-automatic-test-review) and your first hint will
be the article - klick on the arrow down next to the link and open the article in the googlecache view.
Some CSS styles missing - but well readable:

i.e.: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vp4-QvwJVwEJ:https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-porsche-718-boxster-pdk-automatic-test-review+&cd=1&hl=de&ct=clnk&gl=de&client=safari
hope that helps ...

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Not by any I've read - and the tests aren't conducted at high altitude. This is taken from Autocar:

"American magazines have a habit of producing unusually rapid figures on cars, always have done, always will do. Call it the unfair advantage, call it what you will, but for a long time it’s been an unwritten rule of road testing that the US mags tend to record faster times on their cars than everyone else.

Maybe their test gear is calibrated differently to everyone else's, Maybe the average American road tester is forced to eat nothing but lettuce for the three months leading up to a figuring session if the editor knows they are in the chair to extract the numbers from the next big thing. Perhaps time simply passes that little bit more quickly in the land of the free. Or maybe they use 106 octane fuel."

Their performance figures are taken with 2 occupants and half a tank of fuel. If you conduct the tests with only the driver, minimal fuel, and only going in one direction on a track (preferably downhill with the wind) and the hottest fuel you can get you will improve the times. And if you put on sticky tyres and do the test on a grippy track it could get better too. But the Autocar tests are always carried out on standard cars in, as far as possible, the same conditions and are averaged over several runs (in each direction).

In any case the figure of 5.4 seconds (0-60mph) is pretty impressive for a 300bhp car and I'm sure the OP wasn't complaining about the exact performance - just a hesitation on take-off. That's probably due to the PDK not having yet engaged gear. And acceleration figures are a pretty poor way of measuring a car's performance.
I'm not going to point out all the points you made that I simply disagree with, above... Let's just say we either read different publications (I read American, European, manufacturer, Australian, and several internet blogs and YouTube videos), or we read the information and process them differently... I keep up with all of this stuff not because my job pertains to it (By coincidence, it does pertain to it), but because I simply enjoy it! I'm a car enthusiast, since I was a kid. I'm not just a Porsche guy, I'm a car guy...
I will only comment on 1 aspect: 5.4 seconds for a 300hp modern Porsche that weighs less than 3k lbs is not a good time, unless you're test was taken in a high altitude city, for us that would be Denver, Colorado. 5.4 seconds is what Subaru claimed their 2002 WRX did to 60 when the car initially launched in the US as "the bugeye" model. Back then, a $25k sedan to achieve 0-60 in 5.4 seconds with something like 227hp was a big deal! Today, we would hope that out $60k++ Porsche's can do much better than that... That being said, I have not seen a single article (outside of Porsche's claim) clock any 718 S with a PDK to 60, with a number that starts with a 4.

·
Registered
463 Posts
word to the wise - if you are going to demonstrate launch control to someone make sure you tell them to put their head against the seat before you start. took my dad out for a spin and failed to do that and snapped his head back good. his neck was sore for a few days :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Maybe I'm confused, but, isn't forced induction effected less by high altitudes than NA engines? Maybe I've heard incorrectly all these years?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Maybe I'm confused, but, isn't forced induction effected less by high altitudes than NA engines? Maybe I've heard incorrectly all these years?
No, you're absolutely correct! Naturally aspirated engines are considerably more effected (negatively) than forced induction. That being said, ALL combustion engines are negatively effected by altitude. It's just that forced induction is less effected...

21 - 40 of 53 Posts