Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah, the air is thinner/less oxygen at higher altitudes. The forced induction can compensate by compressing the air and increasing the O2 %. The NA will have to suffer as is.

·
Registered
300 Posts
For the life of me I can't remember where I read this but if you have Sports Chrono and PDK you can improve your time by:

1) S+
2) Brake / Accelerator combo and allow boost build
3) Hit Sports Response button and finally
4) Launch

Argh I'll try finding that reference and post back.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
For the life of me I can't remember where I read this but if you have Sports Chrono and PDK you can improve your time by:

1) S+
4) Launch

1# Sport+
2# Turn of the traction Control
3# Press hard on the brake
4# Floor the gas pedal, Launch Control pops up on the MDF
5# Release the brake and of you go...
If your in sport+ and manual mode shift @6500rpm and not at redline :)

Respons button only sets the Ecu in Sport+ nothing else!!

·
Registered
300 Posts

1) S+
4) Launch

1# Sport+
If your in sport+ and manual mode shift @6500rpm and not at redline /forum/images/718forum/smilies/tango_face_smile.png

I'll give that a go too! Any excuse to launch the car hahaha its good for the soul

·
Registered
359 Posts

1) S+
4) Launch

I,ve heard that before somewhere - ah yes this morning at Gaydon - now if I could just remember who said it ...

·
Registered
300 Posts
for the life of me i can't remember where i read this but if you have sports chrono and pdk you can improve your time by:

1) s+
2) brake / accelerator combo and allow boost build
3) hit sports response button and finally
4) launch

argh i'll try finding that reference and post back.

i,ve heard that before somewhere - ah yes this morning at gaydon - now if i could just remember who said it ...
lol

·
Registered
249 Posts

1) S+
4) Launch

I,ve heard that before somewhere - ah yes this morning at Gaydon - now if I could just remember who said it ...
😂

·
Registered
388 Posts
1# Sport+
If your in sport+ and manual mode shift @6500rpm and not at redline :)

So Johan, I would of agreed with you without a doubt in my mind, and I wish I could take the time to find the proof, but you may possibly be inaccurate about the Sport Response button being nothing but the car in Sport Plus mode. I saw a dyno chat, on the same day, same car, same dyno; the dyno chart read slightly higher in Sport Response mode than it did in Sport Plus! I know it sounds crazy, but I read it, and if it's online, it's gotta be true :D
No, all joking aside, after repeated dyno runs, the car was showing a very slight increase in WHP when the car had Sport Response activated, as opposed to the car in Sport Plus. Of course there was a more significant difference when you compare Sport and Comfort mode to Sport Response.
An interesting sidenote: I had driven my base 718 6mt to work a few months back. I had the opportunity to test drive (with a prospective buyer) a base 718 with Sport Chrono and a manual transmission. I was shocked! There's a noticeable difference in power between my base car with 6mt and the same car equipped with a Sport Chrono. We're not talking about a big power difference, but it was significant enough to be noticeable...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
So Johan, I would of agreed with you without a doubt in my mind, and I wish I could take the time to find the proof, but you may possibly be inaccurate about the Sport Response button being nothing but the car in Sport Plus mode. I saw a dyno chat, on the same day, same car, same dyno; the dyno chart read slightly higher in Sport Response mode than it did in Sport Plus! I know it sounds crazy, but I read it, and if it's online, it's gotta be true :D
No, all joking aside, after repeated dyno runs, the car was showing a very slight increase in WHP when the car had Sport Response activated, as opposed to the car in Sport Plus. Of course there was a more significant difference when you compare Sport and Comfort mode to Sport Response.
An interesting sidenote: I had driven my base 718 6mt to work a few months back. I had the opportunity to test drive (with a prospective buyer) a base 718 with Sport Chrono and a manual transmission. I was shocked! There's a noticeable difference in power between my base car with 6mt and the same car equipped with a Sport Chrono. We're not talking about a big power difference, but it was significant enough to be noticeable...

Do you have a link?
The only chart that i have seen that showes the different modes where made by Cobb.
Yes there is a small difference but it is nothing i would call a Power gain.

As i have mentioned in other threads, its all in your right foot!
Sport have a slightly higher boost and the gaspedal is much more sensitive.
Sport+, there is always a "base boost" and boost builds up much faster then in the other two modes, and the gaspedal has lower sensitivity then Sport.
So to go as fast in normal as sport/sport+ you have to work that pedal and thats not easy.

If we then take a look on how a dyno run is made the above shows us that difference in power is logical.
If you build up speed slowly the different modes should pretty much be the same, press it faster and sport+ reacts quicker.

Sport response have the same ecu map as sport+ but the pdk have a special map, what that means i dont know....
In SPORT Response mode, the engine and transmission are set to maximum response with timer-control:
Faster build-up of boost pressure
PDK switches to special gearshift map.
Page 232 | 2017-2018 718 Boxster Manual | Porsche iManuals

·
Registered
388 Posts
Do you have a link?
The only chart that i have seen that showes the different modes where made by Cobb.
Yes there is a small difference but it is nothing i would call a Power gain.

As i have mentioned in other threads, its all in your right foot!
Sport have a slightly higher boost and the gaspedal is much more sensitive.
Sport+, there is always a "base boost" and boost builds up much faster then in the other two modes, and the gaspedal has lower sensitivity then Sport.
So to go as fast in normal as sport/sport+ you have to work that pedal and thats not easy.

If we then take a look on how a dyno run is made the above shows us that difference in power is logical.
If you build up speed slowly the different modes should pretty much be the same, press it faster and sport+ reacts quicker.

Sport response have the same ecu map as sport+ but the pdk have a special map, what that means i dont know....
In SPORT Response mode, the engine and transmission are set to maximum response with timer-control:
Faster build-up of boost pressure
PDK switches to special gearshift map.
Page 232 | 2017-2018 718 Boxster Manual | Porsche iManuals
You're absolutely correct! I believe it was Cobb that dyno'd the cars to show the difference, and you're also correct that it was so small, it wasn't a real gain, but it's interesting nonetheless that there's a measurable difference. Sport Plus is essentially a track setting for Porsche. It's not like Sport Plus for BMW, Mercedes, or American sports cars. Sport Plus is almost uncomfortable, unless you are in a track environment or going all out on empty B roads... Also, for Porsche to extract maximum performance, with NO energy wasted, you don't get burbles in Sport Plus. Which in my mind, really proves how serious Porsche is about their max performance setting.
I can say this; recently I had the opportunity to launch a 718 GTS a few times, and I was able to achieve what felt like a better launch in Sport Plus. When I launched the car with Sport Plus and the Sport Response button activated, it seems I always ended up with more wheel spin, which of course is counterproductive in achieving best times in a launch. That being said, I was also launching on asphalt with a light dusting of loose dirt on top. Maybe on a drag strip, or a sticky surface, the launch might be a tiny bit stronger with the Sport Response button activated.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You're absolutely correct! I believe it was Cobb that dyno'd the cars to show the difference, and you're also correct that it was so small, it wasn't a real gain, but it's interesting nonetheless that there's a measurable difference. Sport Plus is essentially a track setting for Porsche. It's not like Sport Plus for BMW, Mercedes, or American sports cars. Sport Plus is almost uncomfortable, unless you are in a track environment or going all out on empty B roads... Also, for Porsche to extract maximum performance, with NO energy wasted, you don't get burbles in Sport Plus. Which in my mind, really proves how serious Porsche is about their max performance setting.
I can say this; recently I had the opportunity to launch a 718 GTS a few times, and I was able to achieve what felt like a better launch in Sport Plus. When I launched the car with Sport Plus and the Sport Response button activated, it seems I always ended up with more wheel spin, which of course is counterproductive in achieving best times in a launch. That being said, I was also launching on asphalt with a light dusting of loose dirt on top. Maybe on a drag strip, or a sticky surface, the launch might be a tiny bit stronger with the Sport Response button activated.

The pdk have a special map for sport response could, maybe that has something to do with it.
Wheel spin is a bad thing ;)

*edit*
Found it, i had forgott that sport response also where on the chart.
Something do happens at the lower rpm:s (!) but if that makes the wheels spin at launch its still a bad thing.
Interesting!

In the dyno graph above, the Red line represents the car in Normal mode. The Green line represents Sport Plus, and the Blue line represents the car being in Sport Plus with Sport Response activated. The main difference between the three modes is apparent in low-end torque. Boost does appear to ramp in quicker with Sport Plus selected, and again-so with Sport Response active. Beyond ~2700RPM boost remains constant and relatively flat throughout a pull.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The pdk have a special map for sport response could, maybe that has something to do with it.
Wheel spin is a bad thing ;)

*edit*
Found it, i had forgott that sport response also where on the chart.
Something do happens at the lower rpm:s (!) but if that makes the wheels spin at launch its still a bad thing.
Interesting!

In the dyno graph above, the Red line represents the car in Normal mode. The Green line represents Sport Plus, and the Blue line represents the car being in Sport Plus with Sport Response activated. The main difference between the three modes is apparent in low-end torque. Boost does appear to ramp in quicker with Sport Plus selected, and again-so with Sport Response active. Beyond ~2700RPM boost remains constant and relatively flat throughout a pull.

Good work Johan! This was exactly the chart I was talking about. Of course excessive wheel spin is bad at launch, but again keep in mind the surface I was doing it on. It was night time, in the desert, just outside of a State Park. Although I was on smooth asphalt, the ground had a light but visible dusting of dirt. Which I guess is fair, because if you were to launch in a "showdown" type situation at a stop light (not that any of us here would do something so childish and reckless 0:)), you would have similar grip. So maybe don't use a Sport Response launch in a non-perfect grip situation for a street challenge. :nerd::nerd: again, not that any of us would display such tom-foolery

41 - 53 of 53 Posts