Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in modifying my key fob so that I can operate my 2017 Boxster S convertible top and windows from outside the car. There is a product that does this called "Smart Top" produced by a company called Mods4Cars. Is this the only product that will do what I want? Does anybody have experience with the installation/operation of the "Smart Top"? The installation looks pretty scary to me by cutting wires in the car's computer module(s). However, my aging (70) arthritic bones have difficulty getting in/out with the top raised.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm interested in this too but afraid of cutting wires...I see local dealers in NY... wondering if anybody used them to install
I had Smart Top on my 2014 981 Boxster and they used my 718 for the initial test in July 2016. The system works perfectly. You use your standard key fob for it. There is a module that you connect under the drivers seat. No wires to cut or splice. It is very easy to do, I wouldn't spend the money to have someone else do it. Operation is very simple, three click on the open button and the top goes down. If it is down then three clicks closes. There are other combinations that rolls down the windows etc. You can program it to change whether the windows are up or down. You can also open and close the top by touching the door handle. I have keyless entry and start but I think it is similar on cars without it. I would definitely get it. I also got T-design's memory module which causes the engine cutoff and sport buttons to stay in the same condition as they were when you shut off the engine. I hated the engine shutting off when I came to a stop. I always forgot to hit the switch until the engine shut off. I also installed it but be very careful when you take the trim around the console off, it is flimsy and I was afraid it would break. Same as smart top, you install a module in the console. No cutting or splicing. Just connect the cables in the car to the module.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great product, I’ve installed it in 2 cars so far and it’s a nice convenience to have.
Recommendation: Do Not Try to Install it Yourself!
I’m pretty mechanically inclined and this was the toughest product I’ve installed. The control box is under the driver’s seat, you very little room to maneuver, you have to rip the carpeting (clue to the dealer that it has been tampered with), the clips that you plug into the control box are very Fragile. I inadvertently broke 2 of them and you cannot buy them anywhere. I tried to jam the wires into the control box and couldn’t get a good connection initially. Guess what- check engine light and the car would not start. I tried numerous times to get a good connection and couldn’t. I was sweating profusely and honestly thought I would have to give up and surrender to the dealer. The Smart Top distributer ended up sending me extra connectors and I think ended up soldering some wires on the controller. Finally got it to work and the car runs perfectly fine.
In summary: great product but the installation is not for a novice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the Smart Top on my Z4. It went in the trunk, and was pretty easy to install because it was plug and play (plugs in-line with the factory harness, though those were some high-density connectors).

I’d love to have the functions on the 718, but no way I’m ready to start cutting wires & applying vampire taps yet in this car.

Are there regulatory reasons why Porsche simply does not enable these features in the US?

·
892 Posts
Are there regulatory reasons why Porsche simply does not enable these features in the US?
One would assume there must be because as Greg stated you can open or close the roof via the fob pretty much anywhere else, including in the U.K. I see no logical reason for disabling the function in the U.S as it isn't one touch & requires one of the key fob buttons to be held to either open or close the roof. In it's operation it therefore exactly mirrors the internal switch in the vehicle. Neither can it be operated at great distance & you arguably have a better view of what's actually happening from outside the vehicle. If it was one touch you could perhaps understand that it might have been disabled due to safety concerns, but as it is it's pretty nonsensical that your vehicles don't allow it. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
One would assume there must be because as Greg stated you can open or close the roof via the fob pretty much anywhere else, including in the U.K. I see no logical reason for disabling the function in the U.S as it isn't one touch & requires one of the key fob buttons to be held to either open or close the roof. In it's operation it therefore exactly mirrors the internal switch in the vehicle. Neither can it be operated at great distance & you arguably have a better view of what's actually happening from outside the vehicle. If it was one touch you could perhaps understand that it might have been disabled due to safety concerns, but as it is it's pretty nonsensical that your vehicles don't allow it. :(
LAWYERS!!! I bet if you get rid of 95% of them, Porsche will enable the feature.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LAWYERS!!! I bet if you get rid of 95% of them, Porsche will enable the feature.
I am going to the Porsche dealership on Monday morning (getting the "Short-Shift Kit" installed) and I hope to talk to someone there about the "Smart Top" product. I'll report back about what I learned or didn't learn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to the Porsche dealership on Monday morning (getting the "Short-Shift Kit" installed) and I hope to talk to someone there about the "Smart Top" product. I'll report back about what I learned or didn't learn.
My Boxster S salesman is very knowledgeable (aren't they all?) and he said to go for it (i.e. buy/install the 'Smart Top'). However, I am still questioning the wisdom of installing it myself, even with the help of a younger/savvy/limber person. I didn't ask if the Porsche dealership would install it because it may violate their rules. However, I would have the Smart Top installed by a reputable person or firm, but where do you find one? One thought is to see if a car radio or remote starter installer might be able to install a 'Smart Top' for me. Any thoughts/suggestions out there in "718 Forum land"? I have yet to talk to the 'Smart Top' company about professional installation, but I intend to do so shortly and will keep you all informed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody have experience with the installation/operation of the "Smart Top"? The installation looks pretty scary to me by cutting wires in the car's computer module(s). However, my aging (70) arthritic bones have difficulty getting in/out with the top raised.
I have installed smart tops in a BMW Z4 and a 2019 Boxter 718 GTS.

Z4 was easier. Boxter was harder. You have to pull up the rug under the driver's seat. There is an area of rug around the OEM seat cable (perforated by design) to allow access to the modules underneath. When you put everything back you will still be able to see that the perforations have been used. This will only be visible if you have the seat and seat back all the way forward and up, so it does not mar the interior under normal conditions.

You have to remove 2 blade connectors from an automotive plug and replace with connectors from the m4c module and install 2 vampire taps (3M T-Taps) to get power to the m4c module. A more professional solution would be to strip out a chunk of insulation and solder and heat shrink the power wires in rather than using the ttaps. If you use the ttaps (I used them) there is no soldering or cutting required.

Unbolting the seat and propping it up further will provide more working area for the install and increase your visibility. I did not do this but it will make installation easier if you do.

For those that have some experience working with wire harness and blade connectors the work is do-able. Hardest part is dealing with the tight space you are working on. Having a second pair of hands sitting on the passenger side while you work from the driver side will make things easier. Its not impossible to do this work by yourself (I did it alone) if you are careful and patient.

One of the blade connectors that shipped with my module came apart as I was trying to put everything back in place. You can pull the blade out of its plastic sheath from the front of the sheath, push the wire through the sheath and into the blade and then re-crimp the blade and the wire together. You can then pull the blade back into the sheath. You want these power taps to be solid so those blade connectors need to be reliably crimped.

I took me about 2 hours for the install. I took breaks between every 2 or 3 steps to let my body recover from working in a tight space. I also had to deal with figuring out how to re-crimp the blade connector for the ttap.

Once the work is done it is worth it. I had one of these modules in a Z4 for 7 years now and its still going strong. Being able to operate the top from outside the car is wonderful. Being able to toggle the button from the inside rather than hold the rocker is much better when you have a manual transmission and want to pull away from a light while the top is still operating.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I installed the SmartTop as soon as I got the car. I have the 2-way sport plus seats, so just slid it all the way forward and followed the instructions. Really was pretty easy.
In addition to being able to cycle the top w/ the fob now, the even bigger benefit (since I have a M/T) is the one touch operation. I can tap the up or down button once and then my right hand is free to shift as I drive from a stop light. No more wondering if I'll hold up traffic while it finishes.

I say not to be to daunted by the install. A pair of pliers and a screwdriver I think was all I needed.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Well, I think I can open and close the windows in my Boxster with the remote, but I have to take care not to press the button too long, then the roof will open.
And that is a factory function, one of the benefits of living in the EU ;)
It is weird that no one seem to have figured out how to change the settings on the US cars to behave the same.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, I think I can open and close the windows in my Boxster with the remote, but I have to take care not to press the button too long, then the roof will open.
And that is a factory function, one of the benefits of living in the EU ;)
It is weird that no one seem to have figured out how to change the settings on the US cars to behave the same.
As Cayman owner I doubt my roof will open XDDD! I badly wish this can be programmed for us over this shore!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes would work with cayman I suspect. Each feature (like top operation) can be turned on or off. So the windows open / close plus other features should work. But confirm with seller first. I love mine for Boxster. Simple install just be patient and follow instructions.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.