Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup yo's.

This is probably the last thing i add or do not bother adding to my system.

So far I have:
Burmester
Navigation + voice

From What i see, the compartment is 4G, not ever 5G?
And, it seems a little smaller not much.

The vehicle has how many USB ports with or without the Smartphone Compartment?

And it seems that the compartment has a USB as standard without upgrading it.

What is up with the removal of the Auxiliary Port in the glove compartment?

Does that AUX-in removal give the 718 two USB ports?

What does Santa do in the summer?

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,848 Posts
Yeah, I did some light experiments with mine and it appears to offer no advantage on higher frequency bands. I have plans for more thorough tests, but early read for me is that it’s a dud on the higher bands.

I think CarPlay still works in the armrest if you don’t get the smartphone shelf? Im not sure. If you want CarPlay, you might check that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I didn't really understand what the point of the "smartphone compartment" was anyways, other than (I assume?) wireless charging?

Since it's wired CarPlay anyways, I just bought the Rennline mount for the center console and ran the USB/Lightning cable out from under the armrest. I don't want to have to open the arm rest to retrieve my phone anyways. Nice to just slap it on the magnet and plug it in.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,995 Posts
The smartphone compartment is not required for CarPlay, and all that it does is boost the signal of the the iPhone laying upon it. I ordered it because I spend most my driving time on rural and back woods roads and often there isn't even a signal to boost. But I do think it helps with the marginal cellular signals. Not real sure I'd get it again because I don't use the phone much in the car, except for the CarPlay programs.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sup yo's.

This is probably the last thing i add or do not bother adding to my system.

So far I have:
Burmester
Navigation + voice

From What i see, the compartment is 4G, not ever 5G?
And, it seems a little smaller not much.

The vehicle has how many USB ports with or without the Smartphone Compartment?

And it seems that the compartment has a USB as standard without upgrading it.

What is up with the removal of the Auxiliary Port in the glove compartment?

Does that AUX-in removal give the 718 two USB ports?

What does Santa do in the summer?
the glovebox has an Aux port (mini-jack) & USB port
USB connector in console as default

it appears when the Smartphone compartment option is added, it deletes the Aux port connector in the glovebox

that option is an antenna booster, which helps reduce battery consumption - lower signal = phone working more to find signal

one thing to consider is with some phones and cases, there might not be enough room to fit

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
The smartphone compartment pad in our BGTS is too small to allow an iPhone 13 Pro (not Max) with an Otterbox Defender case to lay flat. It fit's and the arm rest closes, but there's room for little else.

Our BS lacked the smartphone compartment option, but had far more room and would accomodate a 500 mL bottle of water (Kirkland), the phone, a couple of masks, and a pen.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
959 Posts
The idea of a phone signal booster is goofy to me since won't we have a super amazing phone again in 13 and half months with more amazing signal strength? I guess it was handy in 2017 if you leased a 718.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
653 Posts
"Completely useless waste of money". Close to direct quote from my sales advisor and manager when I placed my order for a 2022 CGTS. Unless something has changed for 2023 models, it's still wired CarPlay and the phone charges faster with the plug in than the wireless tray. Signal strength is a non-issue in our area.

Many people that ordered the Smartphone Compartment mistakenly thought that it made CarPlay wireless. Glad my SA and SM were honest about it's uselessness on the 718.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Am I missing something? Is the "smartphone compartment" the same as the armrest compartment or something different? The armrest USB plug is the only port which runs CarPlay according to my GTK manual. Maybe the changed it, I dunno'. Porsche's Nav may be good for plotting courses to destinations, but it doesn't give you realtime traffic information. So running CarPlay, or Android Auto via one of the add-on devices, is worthwhile.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Am I missing something? Is the "smartphone compartment" the same as the armrest compartment or something different? The armrest USB plug is the only port which runs CarPlay according to my GTK manual. Maybe the changed it, I dunno'. Porsche's Nav may be good for plotting courses to destinations, but it doesn't give you realtime traffic information. So running CarPlay, or Android Auto via one of the add-on devices, is worthwhile.
The standard armrest has a USB port in the rear of it that serves as the wired connection to CarPlay. The Smartphone Compartment replaces that port but you still need to plug your phone into it, so it is still "wired". There is no OEM wireless Bluetooth CarPlay connection possible in a 718 AFAIK.

And I'm sure the compartment will become even more useless when Apple comes out with their next generation of iPhones of slightly different sizes.

Automotive design Personal luxury car Car Auto part Luxury vehicle

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all. This is interesting stuff. I cannot imagine why installing the smartphone booster causes Porsche to remove an Aux port in the glovebox. That is just odd stuff. It makes it even more unpalatable to buy the more that I think of it. hm.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The "Smartphone Compartment" isn't a wireless charging pad. It is merely a signal booster. People report that they thought it charged the phone because it didn't lose as much battery life. That's because it uses less battery power to search for a signal.

Why Porsche still doesn't offer wireless CarPlay I have no idea. My daughter's 2020 Jeep Cherokee has it and it's not even the top spec car in their lineup.

I added wireless CarPlay by purchasing a CarLinkit3 module and plugging that into the CarPlay USB port. Your phone connects to the module via Bluetooth and the module is connected to the vehicle and thus becomes wireless CarPlay.

Don't spec the Smartphone Compartment.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The "Smartphone Compartment" isn't a wireless charging pad. It is merely a signal booster. People report that they thought it charged the phone because it didn't lose as much battery life. That's because it uses less battery power to search for a signal.

Why Porsche still doesn't offer wireless CarPlay I have no idea. My daughter's 2020 Jeep Cherokee has it and it's not even the top spec car in their lineup.

I added wireless CarPlay by purchasing a CarLinkit3 module and plugging that into the CarPlay USB port. Your phone connects to the module via Bluetooth and the module is connected to the vehicle and thus becomes wireless CarPlay.

Thanks for the suggestion of CarLinkit3. What year is your Porsche? I looked at their website and it only lists Porsche 2017-2020 as compatible, but perhaps that list hasn't been updated. Also, have you had any connectivity or other issues with he wireless link?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
901 Posts
Lots of us are using 3rd party wireless CarPlay devices. Mine is branded Ottocast, although I suspect many of the different brands come from the same factory in China. Works fine on my 2021, and should be no issue for newer cars.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion of CarLinkit3. What year is your Porsche? I looked at their website and it only lists Porsche 2017-2020 as compatible, but perhaps that list hasn't been updated. Also, have you had any connectivity or other issues with he wireless link?

Thanks again.
2018 Macan. I’m hoping they have the newest version when my MY23 Boxster arrives.

The only connectivity issues I've had are when my wife and I both get in the car at the same time. It automatically wants to connect to the last phone it was connected to which is usually my wife's phone since the Macan is hers. When we drive together I prefer having my phone connected so she can answer calls on her phone and not disturb me while I'm driving. I also have about 2,500 songs on my phone so the choice of music is better :cool:. What happens is both phones will show on the PCM and I select my phone. It attempts to connect but shows both phones again as a choice. I select my phone again and it appears to try and connect. This repeats a few more times and it will eventually connect to my phone. Once in a great while it won't connect to either phone but it's not often. What we have gotten in the habit of doing is I will get in the car first so it connects and then she'll walk out and get in the car. Once connected there are no issues and the sound quality is great, no delay issues with Google maps, and SIRI works fine too.

A friend of mine with a 2022 Taycan is using one from Pairr but he has had some connectivity issues with it. There are plenty other devices available as well.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone know why the AUX port must die if the Smartphone enhancer $560 module is put in there? Someone might have said but i cannot determine where and when at this point.

does that mean the Smartphone Compartment equipped 718 have THREE usb in connections? From what i see, the glove box comes with one standard. No? (something that would be totally useless. Two is minimum and Two is maximum for use)

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
959 Posts

Does that act conflicting vs your home Wi-Fi (like I experienced w the Ottocast wireless CarPlay)?

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,995 Posts
Does anyone know why the AUX port must die if the Smartphone enhancer $560 module is put in there? Someone might have said but i cannot determine where and when at this point.

does that mean the Smartphone Compartment equipped 718 have THREE usb in connections? From what i see, the glove box comes with one standard. No? (something that would be totally useless. Two is minimum and Two is maximum for use)
I have the Smartphone Compartment and there is a USB port and AUX port in the glove compartment. I keep an additional USB to iPhone connector in the glove box also for powering my car's phone at the track, if needed.

·
Registered
557 Posts

you end up with USB only in the glovebox and the USB in the center console - don't know why they take it away - I suppose product planners decided if someone is using the Smarphone booster, then its likely they have the phone plugged into the USB port... and not likely using the Aux mini jack the other configuration would have...?

·
Registered
Racing Yellow 2022 Cayman T PDK
164 Posts
Output device Car Automotive design Automotive tire Gadget

I spec'd this and had to go back in and read that it DOES NOT wirelessly charge your phone. Me and my SA sat in my car looking for an option in the PCM trying to figure out how to turn on the charging function, apparently other models do offer wireless charging. If I were to spec it again I would not get this option. The info on the option is a bit deceptive. I use a Carlink 3 wireless adapter because I don't want to have to lift my armrest and plug my phone in to connect it to carplay every time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts