Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta make an appointment with the dealer for this, but wondering if anyone's had issues with the car sorta... smelling after driving it for a bit. The smell is somewhat like clutch or brake...

Car is PDK. Sorta worried that the clutches are getting prematurely worn or too hot or something.

I know cars normally have smells when they're brand new as factory fitment greases, etc heat up and "burn off" but this has persisted past 5k miles.

It's not just after hard runs either, seems to be just as present after normal driving.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does it smell like sulfur (eggs)? Typically after giving it more gas or holding revs higher?

If it is then it’s just the left over or burning if it in the gas. If not then hopefully it isn’t anything bad!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I’ve gotten used to that engine smell (more like burning oil or something) especially after spirited driving.

If at all worried I’m sure a quick stop at the dealer will clarify and/or fix anything that’s wrong (if anything needs fixin).

Rippey

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have 3000 miles on my Cayman and have not been aware of any noticeable smells.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I have 6.5K miles zero smells or problems for that matter; this Porsche has been trouble free. One other thing, I have been checking the oil consumption and there has not been any measurable consumption; oil gauge still at the Max line.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I gotta make an appointment with the dealer for this, but wondering if anyone's had issues with the car sorta... smelling after driving it for a bit. The smell is somewhat like clutch or brake...

Car is PDK. Sorta worried that the clutches are getting prematurely worn or too hot or something.

I know cars normally have smells when they're brand new as factory fitment greases, etc heat up and "burn off" but this has persisted past 5k miles.

It's not just after hard runs either, seems to be just as present after normal driving.
That is not normal. I have test driven quite a few Porsches by now and have never experienced any odd smells. I would recommend having your Porsche dealership's service department attempt to ferret out the source of the odor/smell. I can see how that would be quite annoying; good luck.

·
Registered
383 Posts

That's totally normal. My 981 also did this even after 60,000 hard miles.

My PDK B718, now done 17000 miles smells after being thrashed. This is totally normal of Porsches, don't worry.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I don't have any smell to speak of, and apparently there are others that don't as well. Not sure why there are different observations/experiences. I have pushed my car quite a bit so the way in which you drive it cannot be a significant factor. I would find any cabin odor very disconcerting.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Just to confirm, you aren't getting the smell in the cabin right? Just as you get out the car?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I do get a burning smell sometimes, but I think it's the brakes. I'll make a mental note next time I smell it to recall if I was hard on the brakes during that drive. But I really don't think it's PDK and motor related in my case.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine (new 718CS, 1750 miles) has a mild (actually pleasant) odor in the cabin after being run hard. Smells like the engine bay of any car, only muted - I just chalk it up to the proximity of the engine and the cabin. OP should of course see his dealer to definitively address his concern. The responses here seem to be 50/50 - may depend on our noses as much as our cars!

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Mine (new 718CS, 1750 miles) has a mild (actually pleasant) odor in the cabin after being run hard. Smells like the engine bay of any car, only muted - I just chalk it up to the proximity of the engine and the cabin. OP should of course see his dealer to definitively address his concern. The responses here seem to be 50/50 - may depend on our noses as much as our cars!
My olfactory perception is quite acute. No smells/odors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A Porsche smells like a Porsche. I usually smell mine after a good run, when I take the car back in the garage and close de door. I smell it even more at the beginning of the spring time, after 4-5 months of «*winter rest*» ofr the car, when my nose is not used to it any more. I had a 944, 2 X 911’s, a speedster, and now a Cayman 718S, they all smell the same...HUMMM I like it

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
A Porsche smells like a Porsche. I usually smell mine after a good run, when I take the car back in the garage and close de door. I smell it even more at the beginning of the spring time, after 4-5 months of «*winter rest*» ofr the car, when my nose is not used to it any more. I had a 944, 2 X 911’s, a speedster, and now a Cayman 718S, they all smell the same...HUMMM I like it
Your comment brings to mind a movie clip from Apocalypse Now (Robert Duvall)........I love the smell of Porsche in the morning it smells, like....like.....Victory!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
All I get is a bit of 'hot engine' smell coming from the side vents as the fan(s) continue to run in cool-down mode. The engine does get HOT--engine power is dependent on heat exchange after all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a manual with 500 miles on it n I do get a burnt clutch smell outside the car ( I’m a bit rusty since it has been 10 years since I used a clutch. But gettin better each ride with less n less smell)

·
Registered
318 Posts
When I had my 996, it smelled too. I recall something about Cosmoline being applied to Porsche’s as a rust inhibitor and that was the burning smell. Not sure if our 718s have that applied.

·
Registered
274 Posts
All I get is a bit of 'hot engine' smell coming from the side vents as the fan(s) continue to run in cool-down mode. The engine does get HOT--engine power is dependent on heat exchange after all.
I get the same smell and the fans continue for several minutes after shutting down the engine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts