Porsche 718 Forum banner

Where do you think used car prices are going

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Cayman PDK Base w/ extended range fuel tank. Paid $58k new from Porsche dealer. Moved during COVID, WFH, don't drive it have two other cars. Car is in perfect condition, clear wrapped the front of the car (shoddy job on my own), but it kept the nose/hood perfect for about $200. Bone stock, no mods. Tires w/ 1/4" tread. 13,300 miles.

Posted on ebay for $25, got a $52k offer, couldn't get counter offer through for $54,100. A few days later:

Carmax offer was $50k. Even tho they were selling another 2018 base w/ 20k for $57k - which is sold within a day.

Decided to try kbb.com "buy my car" - kbb suggested sell price to dealer is $53,100. Chevy dealer responded, met them and they were OK with $53,100.

truecar.com - YES, TRUEEEEEE CAR! $54,400, had to drive a little farther out to a bigger Cadillac dealer. Looked over the car, started it, didn't even drive it. Gave me a check for $54,400!!!

Anyway, hope the experience helps someone else. Pretty nuts I basically leased a Cayman for $250 a month (with sales tax) for 3 years. :cool:

Rennline Cell phone mount for sale $60 shipped
Porsche crest leather keychain - new in box $25 shipped
Porsche crest leather keychain - lightly used $20 shipped

Good luck!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Congratulations. Declining health has prevented me from using my 18 GTS. I have about 3800 miles accumulated in over 3 years. The cost to insure and maintain have turned into a bit of a liability. I’d like to sell mine as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That’s great. Used car market is crazy right now. Seems the more I drive my car, the more the price has gone up. Nice problem to have lol. I paid $59k (after CPO) for my base 2019 Cayman with only 360 miles. Sticker was $72k.

I now have 25k miles on it and Vroom offered $55k to pick it up from my house. I’m sure I could get a higher price if I wanted but I was just doing it for informational purposes, because I want to keep the car. I love it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
On this side of the pond we’re experiencing similar price increases. My 2018 Macan GTS has gone up £3k in the last 2 months, my wife’s 981 Cayman has gone up £10k since this time last year and I sold my 2019 718 2.0 Boxster for a few £s less than I paid for it. Having said all that I’ve been checking prices over the last few weeks and while they are still creeping up the gains are now slowing considerably so either the demand has now been largely met, buyers have decided to wait or more likely a combination of these plus maybe other factors. Either way I’m happy with what I got for the Boxster as it will help put a bit more towards the B25 Edition I’m hoping will be delivered before September.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'll 👍 true car. A friend with a C7 Z06 inquired recently and received an offer 4.5K more than competitors. The only drawback I see in them is you have to deliver to a dealer that wants the car, but if close enough the extra money may be worth the effort.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey guys, if you are wondering what does one buy after leaving Porsche ownership. We got ourselves a 2018 BMW 330e iPerf PHEV w/ 21k thru shift.com. Never owned a BMW sedan, but I understand the cult/fan club following for the 3 series, the driving experience behind the wheel is enjoyable. It's an nice car (handling) & feel more comfortable driving (as it relates to outside of car). My wife drives a Tesla MX which is great car when within range, otherwise range anxiety will always occur with any full electric car. We recently covered our roof with Tesla panels with the intent of free fuel for the cars. So far I am getting 99MPGe on the 330e by charging every day and fitting our local driving needs. If I need to go a long distance, no problem, there is fuel to do that. PHEVs really make sense to us, especially with the solar panel fuel station.

We were going to target a BMW 328d (44mpg). We already own a X3 328d as our Tahoe/long trip car, partially didn't want to get another diesel in case fuel prices moon. Plywood is $80, why isn't a gallon of fuel $10+?? Never would consider PHEV, didn't know the 330e existed, really satisfied with choice. Quite a few PHEVs to choose from and might make sense depending on driving distance pattern.

Also - comments on shift.com. The eye opener for us is how much tech has overtaken the traditional used car business. shift.com experience was like walking into a box store to buy something, sales person could care less about your questions or trying to help you. "Are keys for wheel locks in the car?" "Oh you can just buy them for a few bucks". shift.com has siloed each part of buying process too much. For example, shift.com rep is only able to give you keys for test drive, and sign at the end. I wanted to start process to buy on friday and pickup saturday - nope, can't do that. Have to go online and do deposit. While waiting for purchase contract, I have to speak with warranty sales person. OK, fine. After waiting, the sales person calls you (not physical person in location). I tell the guy I can save you a few minutes, we will not get warranty. "Sorry I have to go thru and explain it to you, will take 10-15 minutes". At the end of the sales pitch is "which warranty do you want" - "we respectfully pass". "Do you not see the value in warranty?" WTF, I said "we respectfully pass" - doesnt matter, they have script and working for a commission. Paperwork signed, now we have to wait for "Doc Ops" to verify, another waste of time, no follow up on delay from local in person sales guy. Took 3 hours to buy car. Took me 1hr to sell Porsche to traditional dealer.

Final comments about PHEV & Solar. If you are interested in Tesla Solar, glad to answer any questions about the process & expectations. We also found a way for panels to generate income, effectively paying off solar investment in about ~4 years. $100 off panels coupon/referral here: Earn Free Supercharging Miles or a $100 Cash Award

Good luck everyone & Enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts