Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“At the Frankfurt Motor Show, VW Group boss said it wants an electric version of every model in its family by 2030 and that includes Porsche. Consequently, the Stuttgart sports car maker is looking at the most advanced battery tech it could use in electric variants of the 911, Cayman and Boxster. Weckbach also touched upon the solid-state battery issue for Porsche 911. It is too early to talk about details. But we will make it only if we have a solution that is really working with the 911. Solid-state batteries promise longer range and faster charging times. Solid-state technology might make its way to limited-edition cars soon enough, but it is not yet feasible for mass-produced vehicles, even from a luxury brand like Porsche. Weckbach believes that production cars with solid-state batteries are at least, if not more, five years away from becoming a commercial reality. Finding a cost-effective and efficient solid-state battery for electric vehicles could prove equivalent to finding the golden fleece in Greek mythology but it will be done. When this could happen depends on the evolution of battery power and cell density. We see potential new battery technology coming that may change the game again, but they are still in development,” he said, referring to solid-state batteries.” Researchers say a solid-state battery pack could give electric vehicles 500 to 1,000 miles of range on a single charge. The technology is advancing rapidly and could be ready for commercial use within a few years."

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If new Porsche internal combustion engines reduce Co2 emissions by 85%, What direction will customers prefer?
It’s not that there’s no future for synthetic fuels; it’s just not likely to be a future that sparks a new era of investment in ICE. The fuels will eventually need to be targeted at existing combustion-driven cars, fully compatible with their technology and cheap enough not to penalize those people who can’t afford the expense of buying or financing a family-sized electric car. It’s a realistic and effective way of lowering the emissions of fossil fuel-powered vehicles, but it’s really only a twilight-hours mitigation. The revolution will still be measured in volts especially in the future of Solid-State batteries.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Next year synthetic fuels will be on sale, just around the corner, this is a game-changer for the traditional engines commercial life span, in the very long term electric cars will prevale, but it won't happen in our lives.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding Cayman or Boxster, I can not imagine them without a central engine but electric.
Blockbuster said the same thing about Netflix that video streaming from Netflix is too slow and never have a place for home entertainment. Obviously it's going to be Government rules and regulation that will set the standards on how we drive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Blockbuster said the same thing about Netflix that video streaming from Netflix is too slow and never have a place for home entertainment. Obviously it's going to be Government rules and regulation that will set the standards on how we drive.
I mean about the physics of the car movement, nothing related to the technology.

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
I suspect that the actual future of transport will be determined by a mix of cost, total pollution, and humane practices. While battery looks good now, there are a lot of ICE engines on the planet and replacing them will cost enormously and increase the problem of child labour/slavery.

Predictions of the future have been notoriously wrong or inadequate so all we can do is 'wait-and-see'.

·
Registered
92 Posts
While battery looks good now, there are a lot of ICE engines on the planet and replacing them will cost enormously and increase the problem of child labour/slavery.
That's a lobbyist driven issue I hate so much. They love to use that argument to smear the industry.
I don't hear too many people complain about the cobalt that is used up in oil refining. But lobbyist have made sure that when we hear 'batteries', we think 'child labour'.
People eat chocolate. They drink coffee without guilt. Buy $5 t-shirts. And the list goes on.
But when it comes to electric cars, we all have our opinion ready about child labor and slavery ;)

Tesla actually uses very little cobalt in the Model 3. And won't need any in next-gen batteries.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Cayman/boxster with a properly sized motor through a PDK transmission could be effective, maintaining the connection to car/driver and since the motor would be smaller it could have an advanced range because of gearing? I think the problem will be getting a transmission that can withstand the torque of electric motors. Could be lighter and faster.

If the sound is an issue, I’d say that statement has run its course and will be a repeat of the F6 vs F4, just in the terms of ICE vs EV. Don’t be that guy to put down a vehicle based only on the exhaust note or lack there of.

I love a good exhaust, but that is not going to determine what car I buy. If ALL measurable factors were the same... I’d take the ICE car because sound is one thing the EV can’t do. But the fact is most ICE engines simply don’t stack up to electric motors, so all things being equal is very difficult.

I’ve said it before... I’ll be one of the first in line to get an EV cayman/boxster! Having an EV already, I’m sold on the capabilities of this tech and excited for the future!

·
Registered
50 Posts
. . . .

If the sound is an issue, I’d say that statement has run its course and will be a repeat of the F6 vs F4, just in the terms of ICE vs EV. Don’t be that guy to put down a vehicle based only on the exhaust note or lack there of.
If cost were no object & a manual favored vs. PDK, I'd certainly be interested in the Vonnen Shadow Drive product, be it on a 911, 981 or 718 platform

The Vonnen Porsche 911 Proves That Hybrids Are the Replacement for Displacement

no idea how the transmissions are holding up to the additional instant torque, but sure sounds like a lot of fun :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Over the weekend the Wall St. Journal quoted Porsche as saying they were converting to all electric by 2025. No source or details, just a throw-away comment in an article about a rumor that the VW group is going to offer a portion of the Porsche brand for sale, and how that rumor helped the stock price.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Over the weekend the Wall St. Journal quoted Porsche as saying they were converting to all electric by 2025. No source or details, just a throw-away comment in an article about a rumor that the VW group is going to offer a portion of the Porsche brand for sale, and how that rumor helped the stock price.
Like monkeys flinging poo at the wall... both the WSJ and the rumors

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
Just remember that the majority of voting stock in VW is owned by the Porsche family.

·
Super Moderator
1,680 Posts
That's a lobbyist driven issue I hate so much. They love to use that argument to smear the industry.
I don't hear too many people complain about the cobalt that is used up in oil refining. But lobbyist have made sure that when we hear 'batteries', we think 'child labour'.
People eat chocolate. They drink coffee without guilt. Buy $5 t-shirts. And the list goes on.
But when it comes to electric cars, we all have our opinion ready about child labor and slavery ;)

Tesla actually uses very little cobalt in the Model 3. And won't need any in next-gen batteries.
The cobalt used in refining is used as a catalyst and isn't used up. See
for some statistics and one man's viewpoint.

Personally, yes, I eat chocolate, but only ethically produced, and I pay a fair price for my coffee beans and contribute directly to coffee growers' income through my wholesaler and additionally through a coffee charity that has $0 administration fees. I'm trying to do my bit.

Just because some child labour is current, more is not better.

Lobbyists are from both sides with the industry having lots of money to pour into their efforts. Like almost everything else I urge people to do their own research and avoid PR output.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My point is that child labor is being used to demonize an industry that's trying to solve multiple critical issues.
Cobalt is actually being used up in refineries. That it is theoretically possible to recover it, doesn't mean it's actually happening.
Oil companies have had their chance and have proven to lack a moral compass. At least companies like Tesla are sourcing their cobalt best they can and are developing to get rid of it altogether.

I always feel conflicted when I drive an ICE car. I know I should take the Tesla, but I also want a fun blast on country roads with the top down.
In a perfect world, my 718 would have been available as a full electric. But until that happens, I'll keep turning petrol into noise and smiles ;)

A full electric 718 wouldn't need a massive battery IMO. If they fit it with a 25kwh pack that'll last me 150km on a charge then I doubt it would be much heavier than the current ICE 718. No gearbox and a much much lighter and smaller motor. Instant torque no matter the motor rpm. Top down. 718 handling. That would be heaven to me!

·
Registered
646 Posts
My point is that child labor is being used to demonize an industry that's trying to solve multiple critical issues.
Cobalt is actually being used up in refineries. That it is theoretically possible to recover it, doesn't mean it's actually happening.
Oil companies have had their chance and have proven to lack a moral compass. At least companies like Tesla are sourcing their cobalt best they can and are developing to get rid of it altogether.

I always feel conflicted when I drive an ICE car. I know I should take the Tesla, but I also want a fun blast on country roads with the top down.
In a perfect world, my 718 would have been available as a full electric. But until that happens, I'll keep turning petrol into noise and smiles ;)

A full electric 718 wouldn't need a massive battery IMO. If they fit it with a 25kwh pack that'll last me 150km on a charge then I doubt it would be much heavier than the current ICE 718. No gearbox and a much much lighter and smaller motor. Instant torque no matter the motor rpm. Top down. 718 handling. That would be heaven to me!
150 km (93 miles) wouldn't even get me to our nearest track, much less lap time and then home. Thus, I'm keeping our ICE until they pry it out of my cold dead hands...which given my age, probably wont' be more than a decade or so.

·
Registered
50 Posts
' ' ' ' Cobalt is actually being used up in refineries. . . .
Sorry, I took one, if not the, principal points of the YouTube clip contradicts that statement. The phrasing you use is technically inaccurate and, I think, as politically misleading and charged as I think you feel the use of "child labor" & "cobalt" in the same sentence as "electric vehicles" - an industry you see as "trying to solve multiple critical issues" - is.

FWIW, while one may not like it's approaches or the current value of it's solutions, the O&G industry, both historically, & currently, be argued or seen as "trying to solve multiple critical issues." A question I think we all have to answer, is "How much do "we" want to pay for energy?" Lucky is the person who can afford a foot in both camps.

Yes, cobalt is "used" in refining, but it is not "used up" or consumed in any significant or meaningful way in the process. Further, as a "driver" or contributor to the cobalt extraction and mining business, the O&G industry plays a far less significant role vis-a-vis things like batteries.

What or wherever else today's moral accounting for cobalt's discovery, exploitation and use takes, I think GergW's post & video makes a clear and strong case the oil & hydrocarbon refining industries, along with the ICE, whatever else one may think of their faults and failings, are at best, a de minimus source of shame or blame for Cobalt's role in child labor exploitation.

We need to look else where for our deamons. My two cents Cheers,

·
Registered
92 Posts
150 km (93 miles) wouldn't even get me to our nearest track, much less lap time and then home. Thus, I'm keeping our ICE until they pry it out of my cold dead hands...which given my age, probably wont' be more than a decade or so.
For me personally it would be perfect. I only use the 718 as a toy to attack b-roads around where I live. But as a 'car' it wouldn't work.
I wonder what the difference in weight of the drivetrain would be between the current ICE+PDK compared to a single motor RWD electric setup.
Adding a ~50kwh battery pack (for ~400km or range) will weigh about 330kg. I'm guessing that would create a 1400-1500kg electric 718 Boxster.
My Model 3 weighs about 1700kg. The 718 weighs 1350kg.

It's funny that I've met a lot of die-hard petrol heads that said things like you. But when they actually experience a fast electric car, they're blown away by the acceleration and throttle response.
My only issue with electric is that there aren't any fun electric sports cars yet. (I'm not counting ultra-exotic electric supercars/hypercars)
I'm guessing, give it another 5 years or so and they will be here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts