Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my 2017 S (CPO with less than 10k miles) for over a month now and coming from a 996.2 I had high expectations of the interior quality based on how much you hear people rag on the 996. My 2003 996 was actually interiorwise great. It wore well and after 18 years was relatively rattle free and still look like new and the leather still smelled good. Overall the 996 was a great car both in terms of fun to drive and reliability. Add a good exhaust and they sound glorious. The Cayman’s interior quality is by several levels better but there are a few things that are rather disappointing. First the interior door handles creak a bit when you close the door. Rather unbecoming of a car at this price point or for that matter at any price point. The second is the passenger door window does not drop enough so it hangs a bit when opening the door. had this issue with the 996 but that was at 16 years of use that required the window regulator to be replaced. Is this the same issue? The last item is the headliner is dropping at the back by the hatch. I noticed this because the seal appeared folded over when in fact it was the headliner that dropped. The dealer addressed the issue and they said if it happens again they will need to replace the headliner. I’m sure my local dealer will take care of everything but it’s still rather disappointing. Do any of you have similar issues and other interior issues?

I have owned 911SC, 964, 996, 944S2, and a 986 and everyone single one has had their issues, some of them well known and others not so much. Based on everything I have read about the 982 was that these cars are built right with relatively few issues. Hopefully my interior issues are uncommon and not indicative of future issues because I do love this car.

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
<snips>the passenger door window does not drop enough so it hangs a bit when opening the door. had this issue with the 996 but that was at 16 years of use that required the window regulator to be replaced. Is this the same issue?
Window issues are often fixed by a reset. Put window all the way down. Release button. Re-engage button for 10 seconds. Repeat for up position.
I hope it works for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Window issues are often fixed by a reset. Put window all the way down. Release button. Re-engage button for 10 seconds. Repeat for up position.
I hope it works for you.
Thanks for the tip. Gave it a try and it did not seem the correct the issue. I tried resetting with the door both open and closed. The door glass actually rubs the rear window a bit. Seems lime the window is just slightly out of alignment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had my 2017 S (CPO with less than 10k miles) for over a month now and coming from a 996.2 I had high expectations of the interior quality based on how much you hear people rag on the 996. My 2003 996 was actually interiorwise great. It wore well and after 18 years was relatively rattle free and still look like new and the leather still smelled good. Overall the 996 was a great car both in terms of fun to drive and reliability. Add a good exhaust and they sound glorious. The Cayman’s interior quality is by several levels better but there are a few things that are rather disappointing. First the interior door handles creak a bit when you close the door. Rather unbecoming of a car at this price point or for that matter at any price point. The second is the passenger door window does not drop enough so it hangs a bit when opening the door. had this issue with the 996 but that was at 16 years of use that required the window regulator to be replaced. Is this the same issue? The last item is the headliner is dropping at the back by the hatch. I noticed this because the seal appeared folded over when in fact it was the headliner that dropped. The dealer addressed the issue and they said if it happens again they will need to replace the headliner. I’m sure my local dealer will take care of everything but it’s still rather disappointing. Do any of you have similar issues and other interior issues?

I have owned 911SC, 964, 996, 944S2, and a 986 and everyone single one has had their issues, some of them well known and others not so much. Based on everything I have read about the 982 was that these cars are built right with relatively few issues. Hopefully my interior issues are uncommon and not indicative of future issues because I do love this car.
I've had my 2020 Boxster GTS for a month now. I have 7,000 miles on the clock and can't actually find anything wrong with the interior quality at all. I find the little rocker switches for temperature and fan a bit fiddly, but that's a design issue not a quality one.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
70 Posts
After a week in my new GTS 4.0, I have no complaints at all about the interior quality or features. Everything is flawless so far and looks amazing. If I had to nitpick, I'd say the tiny cupholder icon on the brushed aluminum trim is a little cheesy. And of course the stupid warning labels on the visors are awful, but even a Bugatti Chiron gets saddled with those in the U.S. But that's about it. I'm wondering if there's a way to safely erase that icon ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I have just had a little bad luck. This car is otherwise bolted together well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My drivers window did not drop far enough when opening the door and occasionally in certain circumstances would catch when opening, I had this corrected at it's first service, I believe the door needed a slight adjustment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
And of course the stupid warning labels on the visors are awful, but even a Bugatti Chiron gets saddled with those in the U.S. But that's about it. I'm wondering if there's a way to safely erase that icon ...
I hate those as well, thankfully they are pretty easy to remove.

What I did was soak a micro fiber rag in isopropyl alcohol and then flip the visor so it was flat (did not even remove from car) and let it sit there for 10 minutes or so. Then with another rag with some alcohol on it, begin wiping away at it. It does take a bit of time to get it all off (maybe 10 minutes max) but comes off perfect. No residue at all and only the faintest outline of where it was that seemed to fade away after a few days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

What I did was soak a micro fiber rag in isopropyl alcohol and then flip the visor so it was flat (did not even remove from car) and let it sit there for 10 minutes or so. Then with another rag with some alcohol on it, begin wiping away at it. It does take a bit of time to get it all off (maybe 10 minutes max) but comes off perfect. No residue at all and only the faintest outline of where it was that seemed to fade away after a few days.
I did the same on a Boxster I had. Bothered me more on that car as it was on top of the visor and you could see it when the top was down.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster PDK
154 Posts
I also think my Boxster is the best car I have ever owned as far as paint, leather interior, and fit and finish. It's nearly flawless. I really love it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also think my Boxster is the best car I have ever owned as far as paint, leather interior, and fit and finish. It's nearly flawless. I really love it.
I have to agree with the sentiments of Boxster Annie. I realize we are still in the honeymoon period (delivered 15 days ago) with our 2021 base Cayman, but I’d argue (so far) that this vehicle is indeed flawless. Since the mid 80’s I’ve purchased over 10 new vehicles from various dealerships (VW, Ford, Nissan, Olds, Pontiac, Mercedes, Porsche, Hyundai, Jeep, etc.) and I can’t remember not having to return to the dealership within the first week or two for lightweight warranty issues. I certainly hope I I’m not jinxing myself by writing this…but I’ll take the risk. And I hope the quality of the vehicle lasts for many years to come. Love our new Porsche!

·
Registered
886 Posts

Great idea...thanks!

Our build will include leather visors and we plan to remove the labels. Just to be sure I don't screw anything up, does anyone know whether this label removal process (using isopropyl alcohol) will damage leather visors? If so, what is the best removal method to prevent leather visor damage?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does full-leather interior include the sunvisors? The standard leather interior certainly does not. Something of a d-oh moment when I asked the dealer what's leather and what's not. He pointed out that if it has stitching on it, it's leather. For example the cover over the instrument cluster, but not the rest of the dashboard. Never occurred to me that the sunvisors would actually have leather on them as part of the "full" package.

·
Registered
886 Posts
@Bob V - Our 2017 BS with the Leather Package in Black (980) had plastic visors. Didn't like the look, thus our GTS build will include the leather visor option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts