Porsche 718 Forum banner

Sound Package Plus questions

22K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Mtaylor 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I ordered a 2018 718 Cayman yesterday with the base Sound Package Plus system. It appears to be the same system that became the base U.S. system in the Macan and 911 Carrera/4/S sometime during the 2016 model year. Yet despite the model-sharing, there appears to be very little info on it beyond basics. If any of you can answer these questions, I'd be greatly appreciative:

- The SPP system is eight speakers with 150 watts. Since the door-card design between the 981 and 718 changed very little, I figure that four of the speakers are the 8" woofers and 4" midranges in the doors. I also figure that the tweeters are on top of the dash in the corners, possibly just behind the corner air vents. Where are the other two speakers? Is there a center channel speaker? If there is, does that mean the eighth speaker is a sub situated under the dashboard, just as in the Bose and Burmester upgrades? If there is not a center channel, are the other two speakers behind the seats, a la the 4-inchers in some 981 Boxster systems?
- Is there an ASK amplifier/relay under the passenger seat? If not, does the 718 have the space for one present? Some indications are that the amplifier stage lives within the head unit now, so I'd like to know ...

Thanks, all!

See less See more
Reactions: wdr911
#2 ·
Welcome to the waiter's club! ;) (I'm a member too - for an other 6-7 weeks )
Sorry can't answer your question - but noticed your handle - you weren't on the 2addicts too, by any chance?
I was there for some time - while I waited for my M240 convertible that never came :( (the fire and delays, story...)
Noticed your avatar - since I'm a bit of Bayern fan too (and Liverpool).

#6 ·
Some other info learned on SPP

I read through the Service Info intro book on the 718 Boxster last night and learned a few more specifics about Sound Package Plus:

- There is no outboard amp; DSP and amplification both come from within the PCM4 head unit. This is different from the 981, which had an ASK amp under the passenger seat, even for SPP.
- Output goes from the PCM4 HU directly to the speakers as a speaker-level analog signal.
- Because the HU output is analog, there is no MOST bus.
- Bose and Burmester upgrades each feature a 4" driver behind each seat, which means that the space has not been eliminated.

This is all very, very good news for those of us who want to upgrade the audio in the aftermarket.

However: though the Service Info document specifically noted where speakers were in the cabin for the Bose and Burmester upgrades, it did not for the SPP. So my big remaining question is:

- Where, and what sizes, are the eight speakers in the Sound Package Plus setup?

#9 ·
I have a 2018 718 Cayman with the Bose upgrade which is how the dealership had it and it is supposed to be a 10 speaker system. I have no speakers behind the seats, I have looked all over online to see if there was a diagram of where all of the speakers are and have found nothing so I am left wondering where all of these speakers are in the car.

#10 ·
Page 83 of the 2017 718 brochure here shows where all speakers are on a Boxster for both the Bose and Burmester systems. The only difference between this and a Cayman is that the rear speakers are on the deck between the seat belts and the sliding-cover storage areas.

Both the Bose and Burmester sub is a fairly small unit mounted against the front bulkhead between the gauge cluster and the driver's side door. The rest of the speakers in the Bose:
- Center channel just behind where the Sport Chrono gauge lives
- Two 1" tweeters in the ribbed areas just behind each corner dashboard air duct
- Two 3.5" midranges and two 7" woofers, both in the doors
- Two 3.5" full-range drivers behind each seat (specific location for Cayman is above; In the Boxster, they are directly behind each seat in the engine firewall.)

All the Burmester does to get 12 speakers instead of 10 is add separate tweeters for the back.

Reactions: lajoiedp
#13 ·
Hello All,
New to the forum. Considering purchasing a new 2020 Boxster Spyder that is available, however, it came w/o Bose nor Burmester. Has anyone actually done a full sound system upgrade using the factory head unit? Upgraded speakers, amplifier, sub, etc? Please share if you have, greatly appreciated.

#14 ·

Search is your friend ;)

#17 ·
Had SSP in my previous 2019 Cayman. It is very average. I found the quality very dependent on the audio source. FM/DAB was poor, MP3 mixed, Spotify through Apple Carplay was pretty good, CD just ok, FLAC files were excellent.

I have Bose in my new GT4, it’s better than SPP but still not amazing. Overall sound quality is marginally better, but much louder. Not convinced it’s £800 better.

#18 ·
I've heard both. To my ears, at moderate volume levels, the SPP sounds better than the Bose. At higher volume levels, the tweeters in the SPP fall apart (badly) and the Bose keeps going. So to me, it's pay $900 for a system that sounds muddy and hollow, but gets loud... or keep the freebie system that sounds OK at mid levels.

Or... my solution.... I ordered the tweeter upgrade from MusicarNW. Haven't gotten them yet. But for $600 it's cheaper than the Bose and should fix the biggest problem with SPP: tweeters that distort.

#24 ·
The SPP will play pretty loud, but the high frequencies get harsh, mids are underwhelming and the low end is very sloppy. The speakers are mediocre and the amp is under powered. I am admittedly very picky about audio…that is what I do for a living. If you are not picky, it plays loud enough to work. If you want clear, clean audio with punchy low end, you need to upgrade to something more capable. I started a new thread on my upgrade to my 2018BS. I have the SPP and I am doing it ”right” using the OEM head unit. I will provide pics, weights and what we learn through the install. I have one of the best install companies in Ohio doing the job. Delivering my car to them in a week or so. Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.