Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it seems the 2019's do still have the soundaktor, but the control module has clearly been moved as there's nothing under the liner btwn my left rear wheel and the left tail light. While not *quite* as simple as unplugging the controller, disconnecting the soundaktor itself was still super easy. Took just a few minutes with no real problems. Pics below show what I did... (note: speaker covers pop free from the INSIDE edge.)

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's crazy - that Porsche would move the control module just so a few enthusiasts have a harder time disconnecting it. Kind of an FU to their customers if you ask me. So maybe the GTS has a soundaktor as well after all?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the research.
If that's the control module that's been disconnected in the pics, I'll bet it's just cheaper somehow.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, thanks for the research.
If that's the control module that's been disconnected in the pics, I'll bet it's just cheaper somehow.
No, in these pics its the soundaktor itself. Prior threads went to the control module in back. (Those cars too would have the actual sound machine in this location.)

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
Oh man that sucks!
But i bet that the control module is still somewhere in the trunk!
The first one to disassemble a 2019 718's rear hindquarters, find the Soundaktor module, and post a disconnection DIY gets a prize.

(Seriously. I will buy you something cool and from Porsche. Maybe not an exhaust, but SOMEthing. >:D )

One-time offer!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well it seems the 2019's do still have the soundaktor, but the control module has clearly been moved as there's nothing under the liner btwn my left rear wheel and the left tail light. While not *quite* as simple as unplugging the controller, disconnecting the soundaktor itself was still super easy. Took just a few minutes with no real problems. Pics below show what I did... (note: speaker covers pop free from the INSIDE edge.)
Were there any button to push in order to release the wires connection? Or just tugging on the wires caused the clip to come out?

The plastic piece seems to be deeper than edge of the Aktor from your pictures.

Thank you for showing this to us!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were there any button to push in order to release the wires connection? Or just tugging on the wires caused the clip to come out?

The plastic piece seems to be deeper than edge of the Aktor from your pictures.

Thank you for showing this to us!
The plug enters from the rear. Easily accessible. There's a small locking tab that you just move AWAY from the plug and it slides right out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I bet that is where the GTS fake noise comes from. I hear a distinct difference in noise when I put it in Sport mode, most likely from that speaker. Though I need to check if the Cayman has a speaker there also.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I assume the process to get to the aktor is even easier for Cayman since the speakers do not live behind the seats but on the rear shelf rack. Two less grills to remove before peeling.

I will know for sure once I get my 2019 Cayman. Too bad it will be a few months still! : (

·
Registered
69 Posts
2018 CGTS. Pulled the fuse out. Took me longer to open and close the rear lid. Night and Day difference. Windows down with Sport Mod on, you can barely hear the sound.
Car is considerably quieter.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The first one to disassemble a 2019 718's rear hindquarters, find the Soundaktor module, and post a disconnection DIY gets a prize.

(Seriously. I will buy you something cool and from Porsche. Maybe not an exhaust, but SOMEthing. >:D )

One-time offer!

ok, i'll bite. you buy me a 2019 718 (i'll even settle for a base but pdk is a must) and i will complete your task. just let me know when to expect delivery.

I assume the process to get to the aktor is even easier for Cayman since the speakers do not live behind the seats but on the rear shelf rack. Two less grills to remove before peeling.

I will know for sure once I get my 2019 Cayman. Too bad it will be a few months still! : (

the "speaker" is in the middle of the firewall on the cayman. see the photo attached, though i have no idea why it got rotated sideways.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
the "speaker" is in the middle of the firewall on the cayman. see the photo attached, though i have no idea why it got rotated sideways.
Thanks for the photo. That looks super easy to unplug. Was it hard to peel off all the carpeting/insulation to get to this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
After a week of ownership I removed the fuse on Sunday and it’s so much quieter, music sounds so much better now
Very interesting. my CGTS has a build date of 17/12/18. I asked my OPC about disconnecting the soundaktor and he stated that they have never disconnected one as it may have warranty issues! I have now asked him to check this for me!

·
Registered
519 Posts
@cpkr - welcome. Disconnecting the fuse is a piece of cake. I have 2 left hands and couldn't build a lego model for a 5 year old. At the bottom of page one of https://www.718forum.com/forum/how-diy/16592-viffermikes-super-duper-soundaktor-disconnection-guide.html there is a post by peter. Page 2 has a picture of the fuse block. I emailed the OPC with the fuse block picture and the location (rear right / drivers side) ahead of pick up and they just did it. No fuss.

After I had taken delivery of the car I did open up the fuse cover and reinserted the fuse to hear the difference, safe to say, it came straight back out...

Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts