Votes: 39 63.9%
  • No

Votes: 22 36.1%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve heard so many negative comments about the soundaktor. Anecdotally, it seems the vast majority have / are disabling it. Until I get my Cayman, I’ll have to reserve judgement. But it makes me wonder why if it is so broadly disliked or despised, how Porsche missed the mark so badly? I’m sure they get feedback from enthusiasts as well as engineers during product their development.

So what’s the problem, do you think? Is a vocal minority coloring how most feel about it? Maybe the 2023 model will have an on/off switch. Similarly, it will be interesting to see what Porsche does with engine sounds for the 718 when they launch the electric model. The whole idea of that is bizarre to me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I disabled mine mostly because the concept is just so stupid.

I enjoy the sound of frying bacon, but I don't want a stove with a bacon sizzle enhancer.

I enjoy the sound of my wife's voice too....... but I certainly don't want her speaking through a megaphone all the time.

I enjoy the sound of my Porsche engine now that I cut the muffler off and went to a straight pipe from the axle back. It's just right; however, the idea of a synthetic noise maker that sounds something like an engine is just a foolish idea as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2021 718
59 Posts
I disabled mine and found that I preferred the sound with it on. I understand it’s a created effect but the shape and placement of exhaust pipes, the sound of the starter motor, or lack of sound deadening material in certain areas also do the same to manipulate to improve the driving experience. So I’m not offended by the idea of it anymore than the 100 ways the senses are manipulated but the simple question is whether it’s a net plus or negative. For me it is mildly a net plus I can see why others prefer it off.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
So what’s the problem, do you think? Is a vocal minority coloring how most feel about it? Maybe the 2023 model will have an on/off switch. Similarly, it will be interesting to see what Porsche does with engine sounds for the 718 when they launch the electric model. The whole idea of that is bizarre to me.
To Porsche's credit, they seem to have been listening lately. They even added a way to delete the Sirius antenna on the GT4RS and I hope they will extend this to other models in 2023.

I could see them adding a switch for this issue also, since it has been controversial.

Personally, I'll try it both ways and decide which I prefer. Easy enough.

·
Registered
88 Posts
With the fuse removal method being so incredibly easy, I think all owners owe it to themselves to at least try both ways out and see which route they like better.

For me, the soundaktor added a layer of droning / boominess that was not only unpleasant to my ears. With an extended drive, that added sound would actually trigger a growing headache for me -- as in, physical pain at my head. The cabin became so much more pleasant to sit in after pulling the fuse. It was a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I've read all the arguments for disabling it but can't see the motivation except the concept. I certainly don't find the sound objectionable. Did the dealer already disable it? I dunno but I can't complain about the sound.

Reactions: BAD

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I pulled the fuse on our 2018 CGTS I think about a month after receiving it. It's never going back in. The engine sound that I could hear moved back to it's proper location in the middle of the car behind me rather than being this all-encompassing droning sound surrounding me in the cockpit that gave me a headache from day one. I had seriously wondered at times if we had made a mistake purchasing this car prior to pulling the fuse. Pulling the fuse fixed that issue.
MOO & FWIW

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had dealer pull the fuse. Did not notice any difference. Maybe it helps to be 83 years old with tinnitus. Car still has the Kellogg's Rice Krispy Snap, Crackle and Pop exhaust. I also find the exhaust noise to be annoying.

The idea of feeding me phony sounds is not appreciated.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I had no knowledge of the sound track thingy and wondered why the engine didn't sound synchronous with my input. It just didn't sound or feel natural. It was only after seeing the thread on how to disable it pop up here, that I learn of its existence. I pulled the fuse within the first few days of ownership. For me, it was overwriting the sound of what was happening behind me. My shifts lacked distinction. Having a manual transmission, I couldn't really tell what was happening durning shifts. After disabling it, there was a much more distinguishable sound that informed me of exactly what was going on. Maybe it works better in concert with a PDK transmission?

·
Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
My guess would be that it's a way of getting more sound in the cabin without changing the exhaust enough to run afoul of European (and other) noise laws.

I like the exhaust sound (or a bit more) but generic engine noise is really not my thing at all. I have modified the exhausts on every motorcyle and now on the Boxster.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting and very informative responses thus far. Only a very small number have answered the poll compared to the number of views, but so far running about 2:1 against the soundaktor.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Pulled the fuse within a few days of our BS delivery and reinstalled once for about an hour to ensure I made the right choice. Correct as usual and it was never reinstalled again...YMMV.

l plan to do the same with the Sound Symnposer in the new GTS. Unfortunately, disabling the Sound Symposer is not as simple as pulling the fuse. Thus, I'm already stressing a little bit...first world problems.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Pulled the fuse within a few days of our BS delivery and reinstalled once for about an hour to ensure I made the right choice. Correct as usual and it was never reinstalled again...YMMV.

l plan to do the same with the Sound Symnposer in the new GTS. Unfortunately, disabling the Sound Symposer is not as simple as pulling the fuse. Thus, I'm already stressing a little bit...first world problems.
I didn’t realize that we can’t just pull a fuse on the 4.0’s. Hmmm…. Research

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I didn’t realize that we can’t just pull a fuse on the 4.0’s. Hmmm…. Research
In addition to this:
I believe Soul Performance also has plug or delete instructions somewhere in our Forum and will post when I locate.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
In addition to this:
I believe Soul Performance also has plug or delete instructions somewhere in our Forum and will post when I locate.
Oh, yes, I had read that! :oops:

I got the two different systems confused. Nvm. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,108 Posts
Me getting heap good sounds from the rear of Bumblebee (non-nutered). In Sport mode (still holding at 4k) Snap, Crackle and Pop are loud and enjoyable. Different strokes....

Reactions: Treemagnet
1 - 20 of 38 Posts