Votes: 76 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 33.3%

Soundaktor Question / Poll

Tags
soundaktor
15K views 93 replies 42 participants last post by  Raven 
#1 ·
I’ve heard so many negative comments about the soundaktor. Anecdotally, it seems the vast majority have / are disabling it. Until I get my Cayman, I’ll have to reserve judgement. But it makes me wonder why if it is so broadly disliked or despised, how Porsche missed the mark so badly? I’m sure they get feedback from enthusiasts as well as engineers during product their development.

So what’s the problem, do you think? Is a vocal minority coloring how most feel about it? Maybe the 2023 model will have an on/off switch. Similarly, it will be interesting to see what Porsche does with engine sounds for the 718 when they launch the electric model. The whole idea of that is bizarre to me.

#2 ·
I disabled mine mostly because the concept is just so stupid.

I enjoy the sound of frying bacon, but I don't want a stove with a bacon sizzle enhancer.

I enjoy the sound of my wife's voice too....... but I certainly don't want her speaking through a megaphone all the time.

I enjoy the sound of my Porsche engine now that I cut the muffler off and went to a straight pipe from the axle back. It's just right; however, the idea of a synthetic noise maker that sounds something like an engine is just a foolish idea as far as I'm concerned.

#76 ·
Ha ha ha those are some good analogies.
I pulled the 7.5 fuse in the drivers foot well today and my 23 2.5. Now I have pretty bad hearing, but I thought I could detect a difference right away and I was thinking I liked it got about a mile and pushed seat heaters on and nothing… I stopped the car, put the fuse back in and back to square one on that thing lol

#3 ·
I disabled mine and found that I preferred the sound with it on. I understand it’s a created effect but the shape and placement of exhaust pipes, the sound of the starter motor, or lack of sound deadening material in certain areas also do the same to manipulate to improve the driving experience. So I’m not offended by the idea of it anymore than the 100 ways the senses are manipulated but the simple question is whether it’s a net plus or negative. For me it is mildly a net plus I can see why others prefer it off.

#7 ·
So what’s the problem, do you think? Is a vocal minority coloring how most feel about it? Maybe the 2023 model will have an on/off switch. Similarly, it will be interesting to see what Porsche does with engine sounds for the 718 when they launch the electric model. The whole idea of that is bizarre to me.
To Porsche's credit, they seem to have been listening lately. They even added a way to delete the Sirius antenna on the GT4RS and I hope they will extend this to other models in 2023.

I could see them adding a switch for this issue also, since it has been controversial.

Personally, I'll try it both ways and decide which I prefer. Easy enough.

#8 ·
With the fuse removal method being so incredibly easy, I think all owners owe it to themselves to at least try both ways out and see which route they like better.

For me, the soundaktor added a layer of droning / boominess that was not only unpleasant to my ears. With an extended drive, that added sound would actually trigger a growing headache for me -- as in, physical pain at my head. The cabin became so much more pleasant to sit in after pulling the fuse. It was a no brainer for me.

#9 ·
I've read all the arguments for disabling it but can't see the motivation except the concept. I certainly don't find the sound objectionable. Did the dealer already disable it? I dunno but I can't complain about the sound.

#10 ·
I pulled the fuse on our 2018 CGTS I think about a month after receiving it. It's never going back in. The engine sound that I could hear moved back to it's proper location in the middle of the car behind me rather than being this all-encompassing droning sound surrounding me in the cockpit that gave me a headache from day one. I had seriously wondered at times if we had made a mistake purchasing this car prior to pulling the fuse. Pulling the fuse fixed that issue.
MOO & FWIW

#11 ·
I had dealer pull the fuse. Did not notice any difference. Maybe it helps to be 83 years old with tinnitus. Car still has the Kellogg's Rice Krispy Snap, Crackle and Pop exhaust. I also find the exhaust noise to be annoying.

The idea of feeding me phony sounds is not appreciated.

#12 ·
I had no knowledge of the sound track thingy and wondered why the engine didn't sound synchronous with my input. It just didn't sound or feel natural. It was only after seeing the thread on how to disable it pop up here, that I learn of its existence. I pulled the fuse within the first few days of ownership. For me, it was overwriting the sound of what was happening behind me. My shifts lacked distinction. Having a manual transmission, I couldn't really tell what was happening durning shifts. After disabling it, there was a much more distinguishable sound that informed me of exactly what was going on. Maybe it works better in concert with a PDK transmission?

#13 ·
My guess would be that it's a way of getting more sound in the cabin without changing the exhaust enough to run afoul of European (and other) noise laws.

I like the exhaust sound (or a bit more) but generic engine noise is really not my thing at all. I have modified the exhausts on every motorcyle and now on the Boxster.

#15 ·
Pulled the fuse within a few days of our BS delivery and reinstalled once for about an hour to ensure I made the right choice. Correct as usual and it was never reinstalled again...YMMV.

l plan to do the same with the Sound Symnposer in the new GTS. Unfortunately, disabling the Sound Symposer is not as simple as pulling the fuse. Thus, I'm already stressing a little bit...first world problems.

#17 ·
In addition to this:
I believe Soul Performance also has plug or delete instructions somewhere in our Forum and will post when I locate.

#21 ·
I have no issue with the sound symposer making the cabin sound louder via pipe to the 4.0 engine.

Porsche is doing the sound symposer a long time already:
Another system the acoustics team uses to highlight the Porsche sound is the sound symposer. This is not a speaker, but rather a sort of sound path, a line for tones consisting of a plastic hose with a gas-impermeable membrane. That’s how it transports the passionate trumpeting of the intake pipe, for example, into the cockpit. Because most drivers perceive the engine note differently, it’s possible to dial in just the right amount—using a flap valve and the gas-impermeable seal through a membrane that works something like the human eardrum.

What does that mean in practice? As soon as the driver hits the Sport button on the center console, sharpening the responsiveness of the transmission, engine, and suspension, the flaps in the sound symposer and the Helmholtz resonator open to allow unrestricted flow, intensifying the natural sound of the Porsche engine. If the intensity of the sound becomes too dominant, you can switch back to comfort mode and cruise along quietly.
Completely different concept than the sound actor which I did disable.

#22 ·
I knew about the Soundacator/speaker in my '18 S before I even test drive one. Kept it on for two weeks to get a baseline, then pulled it. No desire to go back.

So, the "Why they do that?" .. market research. Just chat with a P-head and sound will come up.
Someone posted this isn't new for Porsche, so not a "make it sound like a six" issue just for 4-cyl 718's. Well, maybe a bit, but it doesn't work, and I don't care.
Personal observations:
Need an exhaust/sound profile that helps me judge RPM. (Non-M Bmws need help with this, P's not so much)

Don't need sound that causes neck whiplash running through neighborhoods, or even rural roads.
No need to traumatize the livestock or wildlife, or wake up/warn LEO's

At least there's easy changes to try both. Fuse for 4-cyl and put-a-sock-in-it for sixes.

#25 ·
I’ve heard so many negative comments about the soundaktor. Anecdotally, it seems the vast majority have / are disabling it. Until I get my Cayman, I’ll have to reserve judgement. But it makes me wonder why if it is so broadly disliked or despised, how Porsche missed the mark so badly? I’m sure they get feedback from enthusiasts as well as engineers during product their development.

I pulled the within 2 weeks of purchase Of 2021 Boxster T. Got rid of annoying drone at certain engine speeds and on highway wiry removed turning on PSE seems to have less of an impact but still adds something at higher revs.

#29 ·
Well I'm old and I pulled the fuse fairly quickly after comparison. Now, my definition of "old" is not so much age, but if when getting in the car, or out, you wonder to yourself, "How many more years am I going to be able to get in and out of this wonderful machine?"

#34 ·
Bumblebee is actually easier to ingress and egress than my friends "S" Tesla. The pillar between the front and rear doors of the Tesla is totally in the wrong place for my large frame (6'2") where as Bumblebee is as simple as right leg in, butt on seat, left leg in. (US car) Egress is both legs out and stand. I'm only a young 78. I will, looking forward, make it work even if it takes smoke and mirrors...... :cool: This car is way too much fun to let age get in the way.....

#36 ·
The bass waves/vibration are why I disabled my Soundkator. I am one of those folks who is sensitive to sound that is discordant- and discordant is what I consider the added bass from the Soundkator. I can appreciate the Soundakator may accentuate other frequencies that may be pleasant to others.

I think it boils down to your ears- and not everyone hears/experiences sound the same way.

#37 · (Edited)
I've driven for 6 months with the Soundaktor fuse in place, intending to pull it, but always forgetting until this thread popped up a few days ago.

I pulled the 7.5A Soundaktor fuse last night and took it for an errand today. I like it better without the Soundaktor adding volume (ie, noise) to the cabin space--it has been adding more sound pressure than I'd realized. I've no plans to reinstall the fuse.
:)
For perspective, I also deleted the 'sound tube' in my former Miata ND and enjoyed less noise in that car's cabin also.

#38 ·
I've driven for 6 months with the Soundaktor fuse in place, intending to pull it, but always forgetting until this thread popped up a few days ago.

I pulled the 7.5A Soundaktor fuse last night and took it for an errand today. I like it better without the Soundaktor adding volume (ie, noise) to the cabin space--it added more sound pressure than I'd anticipated. I've no plans to reinstall the fuse.
:)
For perspective, I also deleted the 'sound tube' in my former Miata ND and enjoyed less noise in that car's cabin also.
I suspect folks pulling the fuse are Cayman owners (referring to the cabin) vs us topless gang that drive sans cabin? As previously mentioned in another blog all I need is the wind in hair and the roar of the horses sitting behind my butt.

#39 ·
I am wondering if the GTS 4.0 has a soundkator. Forgive me if I missed reading something in this thread. The 4.0 Soundkator may be just fine or even nice sounding. My wife's Alfa SUV has an awesome artificial sound pumped into the cabin. So they are not categorically bad, at least for me.