Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone disabled this on their car, via unplugging or via scantool?

Wondering how different the car sounds without it.

(FYI, in case you're not aware, apparently the 718 has an artificial sound generator like the VWs and Audis have had, against the rear firewall. It's truly artificial, apparently, not one of those "pipe noise in fron the intake" deals.)

·
Registered
699 Posts
My ears are telling me that the sound actuator is only active in sport and probably sport+ mode. I haven't felt the need to figure it out 100%. But if you want to unplug the control unit and see what happens it's located in the left trunk compartment. Just pull on the left cover handle to get access.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My intention after reaching the end of the break-in period on my Cayman is to experiment with the Sound Actuator connected and disconnected. It's good to know that it can be disconnected at the controller in the trunk, which is an easier place to access than the transducer on the firewall. I'll put a good microphone in the cabin and run through the exhaust modes.

The Porsche Sound Actuator (not to be confused with the Porsche Sound Symposer, which is a tube running from the intake to the cabin) used in the 718 includes the same exact components as the "Soundaktor" system in the VW Golf R and GTI and Audi S3/S4 (except with a Porsche logo instead of a VW or Audi one). Besides the controller, there is a cylindrical sound transducer, which is basically a speaker without the cone. In the 718 it is mounted in the cabin on the firewall between the seats and engine. It vibrates the firewall to create sound (without surface contact the transducer produces very little noise - there is a YouTube video demonstrating this). In a VW or Audi it is mounted in the engine bay just under the windshield, which it uses as the vibrational surface. There are many YouTube videos showing the effect of disconnecting the transducer in a Golf. There are very few technical details about the system - the VW group doesn't seem to want to publicize it. However, they have explicitly stated that the system does not produce synthetic sound (as is done with the BMW M5) but rather actual engine noise. A while back I came across a webpage (which I'm unable to recover) that said it picked up sound from the intake; if this is the case, then it is essentially an electric version of the sound pipe.

Trivia: In the Porsche 718 parts catalog, the Sound Actuator transducer is called a "pulse sender".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone disabled this on their car, via unplugging or via scantool?

Wondering how different the car sounds without it.

(FYI, in case you're not aware, apparently the 718 has an artificial sound generator like the VWs and Audis have had, against the rear firewall. It's truly artificial, apparently, not one of those "pipe noise in fron the intake" deals.)
see in parts list

18 the control unit
20 speaker

I'm not sure, is this only a mod for Cayman? and how to switch it Off? (it means not with the button for sport exhaust)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Sound Actuator is in both the 718 Boxster and Cayman. There is currently no way to switch it off except disconnecting it. I've read posts that some scan tools can be used to turn it off or adjust the volume settings on the VW Golf, but there are no such tools available (at least to the public) right now for the 718 (including one that could reset the maintenance reminder after an oil change). The Actuator is not listed in the fuse list, though it would obviously go through one; it is probably shared with some other component, so pulling a fuse would thus not be a workable solution.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ok, so once you pull the left side carpeted panel, the bottom carpet has a split section right behind the the lower part of the panel. Pull that back and it is mounted to the side. The plug has a small grey lock that needs to be pushed down in order to remove the connector. I have yet to drive the car with it removed, I’ll post an update on the sound once I go for a drive. I do have the awe touring exhaust.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
The same here, it sound way better under load and no more rumble driving with low rpm :)
I never used the sport mode cause of the rumble even if i liked the respons.

·
892 Posts
The same here, it sound way better under load and no more rumble driving with low rpm :)
I never used the sport mode cause of the rumble even if i liked the respons.
I'm exactly the opposite & rarely ever use my car out of sport. I usually select it even before I've left my garage. Just about the only time it's ever out of sport is on a long motorway run or if I'm listening to music.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I might point out the right direction, you cant miss it.
Its bolted to the chassi and you have to remove the loose piece of plastic in the bottom otherwise you cant remove the contact.
Just press on the grey nob with a screwdriver :)

*edit*
I think I says Soundaktor on the unit

·
Registered
104 Posts
No light or warnings on the dashboard when the soundaktor is disconnected?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great

·
Registered
320 Posts
*edit*
I think I says Soundaktor on the unit
I had a 2013 Golf R, and it had a device mounted in the area where the windshield wiper motor is located that introduced sound into the cabin. It was referred to as the "Sounddaktor" on the VW forum.

I find the sound pleasing on my Cayman and on the Golf. There was no button on the Golf to control the sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would also like to try to disconnect the sound actuator on my 718. I have a Fabspeed exhaust, and in Sport & Sport+ there is a drone that I would like to eliminate. With this exhaust I don't need anything to amplify exhaust sounds. If someone could provide pixs of removing the carpet panel, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would also like to try to disconnect the sound actuator on my 718. I have a Fabspeed exhaust, and in Sport & Sport+ there is a drone that I would like to eliminate. With this exhaust I don't need anything to amplify exhaust sounds. If someone could provide pixs of removing the carpet panel, it would be greatly appreciated.
How are you liking that exhaust system, I was looking at aftermarket exhausts but I have the PSE so I am only looking for something that is a huge upgrade.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts