·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 17 base boxster with pasm and 19" wheels
installed 7mm front and 15mm back love the look just perfect

however...
changed a few things I did not like
effect on ride, feels about 20% more compliant so much so that PASM on felt like stock ride hmmmmm not happy figured this would be the case with a longer moment arm created effect was much more than expected though
noticed wallowing on a fast sweeper freeway on ramp never felt that before
felt like center had a small dead spot steering not as sharp

so question do you need to have the car re aligned after installing?

I took them off for now steering feeling not worth the looks

My first sports car coming from jeeps and trucks so I know little about sports car suspensions (straight axle guy)
what changed besides the track width?

before anyone asks spacers were from suncoast and used torque wrench 118 ft lbs

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure how much this helps, but...

The front 19" Boxster wheels have an offset of 57. I bought a set of AutoX wheels with an offset of 50, so that's the equivalent of your adding 7mm spacers. I changed tires, and didn't put 15mm spacers in the back, so there are too many variables to draw a real conclusion, but I have no complaints and did not notice this dead spot you mention that would presumably be from the front wheels.

I did have my car aligned at the dealership and the "before" numbers were not ideal. In fact one of the settings was outside of the factory range. I'd suggest an alignment regardess.

And I will ask, did you use the factory lug bolts?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lug bolts came in the kit, longer than stock
looked high quality 'sorry diddnt take pics
the 7front and 15 rear brought the tires right to the edge of the sheet metal maybe just a bit beyond in the rear
diddnt take pics sorry
took them off today and all is back to normal
alignment ...yep could have guessed I think it must have been a significant change did not like at all

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
ANY time you change the effective geometry of the suspension, you really should do an alignment, no matter how small.

By adding spacers (or a wider/narrower wheel) you're affecting the camber and toe geometry, and a wider track negatively affects things like wheel centering (which is apparently an issue the OP's having).

Just do it.

Reactions: ZuffenHouseRules

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did a quick search and I seems that all previous models of the boxster/Cayman (986, 987.1, 987.2, & 981) had factory option XRP 5mm spacers for all four wheels... But it appears this option was dropped with the 718? Any idea why?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts